Old 12-07-2004, 06:06 AM
Lostin1999

Default Veggie filter musings

for those that haven't seen it.. here's a few pics of me pond (as it
stands)

http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...=/8a86&.src=ph

now having read on here of Veggie filters etc ive been having an idea...

along the back of the pond (where the fence is) I want to build a water
feature...

I also want a veggie filter..

so ive been toying with getting some galvanised planters (set of 5 matching
but getting smaller each time
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4309782118) and
setting them up in series.. the first as a settling tank, second and 3rd as
veggie filters and then 4 (poss veggie) or 5 angled to return the water to
the pond.. so I get a sort of fountain and large increase in surface
area... (number of pots depends on how many fit across the back)

anyone see any major flaws with my plan?? please speak now or forever be
asked for help as it all goes horrendously pearshaped??

Lost

Old 12-07-2004, 06:09 AM
Go Fig

Thats a fine idea. How do you plan to make spill-ways for them? If
you use tank adaptors I'd go with 1 1/2" PVC to allow for a fast
gravity fed flow.

It looks like your pond does not have an overflow drain? I'd consider
this so you can control the rain overflow, rather than it just spilling
out over the top.

jay
Sun Jul 11, 2004

In article , Lostin1999
wrote:

for those that haven't seen it.. here's a few pics of me pond (as it
stands)

http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...BBIqixWLPm&.di
r=/8a86&.src=ph

Old 14-07-2004, 02:03 PM
T-Cat

Sounds like a lot of work. My veggie filter is just another pond. See
http://www.kittycentral.net/pond/Pon...une23_8_lg.jpg - that's the
veggie filter. It lets out (via stream) into this other pond -
http://www.kittycentral.net/pond/Str...werPond_lg.JPG - which has the
fish.

Veggie filters needn't be ugly.

"Lostin1999" sez:

Old 14-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Lostin1999

"T-Cat" robotryder at yahoo wrote in message
Sounds like a lot of work. My veggie filter is just another pond. See
http://www.kittycentral.net/pond/Pon...une23_8_lg.jpg - that's the
veggie filter. It lets out (via stream) into this other pond -
http://www.kittycentral.net/pond/Str...werPond_lg.JPG - which has the
fish.

Veggie filters needn't be ugly.

it may be a lot of work, but its sort of the best I can do with my pond
location (and home location, garden size etc)

anyway, isn't that what gardening is supposed to be about?? lots of work
then even more sitting back, chugging a insert any chosen beverage here
and enjoying the fruits of your labour (while thinking how much easier it
would have been not to have bothered...)

For me the sound of the water running etc is all part of the experience..
and as I have no room to make a stream elsewhere this looks like a plan to
gain that..

and Ugly is in the eyes of the beholder, what may seem ugly to you wont to
someone else... im going for a Very Ornamental look, (hence the square
corners to my pond) I feel this would add to my overall ornamental look and
keep similar lines...

Old 14-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Lostin1999

"Go Fig" wrote in message
Thats a fine idea. How do you plan to make spill-ways for them? If
you use tank adaptors I'd go with 1 1/2" PVC to allow for a fast
gravity fed flow.

It looks like your pond does not have an overflow drain? I'd consider
this so you can control the rain overflow, rather than it just spilling
out over the top.

my plan was to beat the metal a little to create a "spout" for want of a
better word, as each is a size smaller, they will (I hope (I haven't got
them yet) sit under the rim of eachother and thus the water slow over my
"spout" and into the next one.. maybe with a little liner across to stop
seepage (might silicone them together to stop this too)

the other plan is a narrow wooden sided stream (with liner) (ladder like) to
get the same sort of effect, the water flowing from chamber to chamber...

I've passed these idea's off amongst a few friends.. and they seem to think
the wooden ladder idea is more in keeping with the pond as it is.. and
might well be the way forward..

me, I'm still throwing ideas about in my head each time another idea hits
me... I'm £500 UKP over budget on the pond at the moment, so all this is a
little future planning (maybe for next spring)

Lost

Veggie filter musings Lostin1999 Ponds 2 18-07-2004 03:06 PM
Veggie filter musings Lostin1999 Ponds 0 14-07-2004 03:07 PM
Musings re Sick Rhododendrons and Azaleas Jean B. Gardening 2 22-05-2003 01:44 AM
musings about garden stuff Valkyrie Gardening 2 24-02-2003 06:40 AM
Musings on Compost Heaps (and the things you find in them) Sarah Dale United Kingdom 10 13-11-2002 01:22 PM