Old 14-07-2004, 06:03 PM
SVTKate

Default Streams or Screams?

It's me again.

Having too much time on ones hands to work out in the 'yard' makes the
imagination run amok with ideas for making the whole place look like a
wooded wonderland.

Having the pocketbook of a retiree, makes one's imagination often come to a
screaming, frustrated halt in nothing short.

I have been looking at my place and thinking that I would like a little
stream. There is no natural running water but if it were to run from up by
the house to the pond (call it 200 yards as a rough guess) it has an already
natural pathway from where the rain runoff travels.

If you do a stream, do you have to do filters and all of that?
Are the pumps expensive to purchase and operate?
What are the real ups and downs of manmade streams?
Do you think it feasible with the distance I am dreaming of?
Are they terribly involved to build or can you just dig a ditch, put some
rocks in to prevent erosion and turn it on?

Thanks folks for hearing my stupid questions and not throwing me in the
pond.

Kate

Old 15-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Just Me \Koi\

You don't have a pond! Huuuuuh! You have a lake! L A K E I say!

And one day soon, I will bring my sail boat, a hammer and saw and build the
dock we talked about and sail my boat on your L A K E! ;-)

(PS: Yes BV I forgot to take my medication(s) this morning)

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"SVTKate" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hey Tim,
The way our pond is designed it fills with the run off from the property.
The whole place 'funnels' down to the pond.
If it didn't there wouldn't be any water in the pond. ;¬(

Kate

"tim chandler" wrote in message
| Kate,
|
| Sounds like a great plan! Just one caution, where the water naturally
runs
| is not always the best place to put your pond or stream - generally you

do
| not want runoff going into your system, it brings with it dirty water,
| debris and any minerals, chemicals, etc. that it's picked up along the
way.
| You can still use the slope, but I wouldn't make your streambed be in

the

Old 15-07-2004, 01:02 AM
SVTKate

HI Perry
I am new here too, and I do like the idea that you have there.
Something like a Dry creek, maybe with a little catch pond halfway up the
bank..?
Here is a shot of my 'pond' from my back porch....
http://www.kizthiz.com/pondview.jpg
I would like the stream to wind down in an S shape from the top to the
bottom

Hmm... food for thought! Thank You!
Kate

"Perry" wrote in message
. ..
| Hi Kate,
| (Greetings to all from a first time postee)
|
| Have you thought of just putting in a rill (man-made stream bed)? I've
seen
| pictures of rills where the small ditch is lined with loose fitting brick
| and rock. Small catch basins of brick and rock are sometimes built in.
It

Old 15-07-2004, 01:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

S.Central Washington State. Dry, sagebrush, desert. Zone 7a. ) ~ jan

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:49:39 GMT, "SVTKate" wrote:

Hi Jan,
We are in West Tennessee. Some of the most beautiful country I have ever
seen. How about you, where do you do pollywogging?

Kate

.. .

Old 15-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Just Me \Koi\

You have a lake in the back, a football stadium/landing strip in the front!

Consider this my wedding proposal................ I forgot you are already
married ......................

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"SVTKate" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thank You Heather
That's what it looks like nearly every morning off my back porch. I sit

and
sip coffee and enjoy the view.
The day we first came to look at this house it was raining cats and dogs.

We
waited on the back porch for the realtor to meet us for about 45 minutes.
While we were there we found the peace and quiet (no cars, no sirens, no
planes... no noise but the birds) and the scent of the wet pines so
enjoyable that we decided then it was the right place, even though we had
not yet seen the inside of the place.
Luckily, the inside of the house was what we wanted too, and at a great
price including a shop!

"Heather" wrote in message
| Kate:
|
| The photo is awesome! What a beautiful site!
|
| Heather
|

| "SVTKate" wrote in message
| link.net...
| HI Perry
| I am new here too, and I do like the idea that you have there.
| Something like a Dry creek, maybe with a little catch pond halfway up
the
| bank..?
| Here is a shot of my 'pond' from my back porch....
| http://www.kizthiz.com/pondview.jpg
| I would like the stream to wind down in an S shape from the top to the
| bottom
|
| Hmm... food for thought! Thank You!
| Kate
|

| "Perry" wrote in message
| . ..
| | Hi Kate,
| | (Greetings to all from a first time postee)
| |
| | Have you thought of just putting in a rill (man-made stream bed)?
I've
| seen
| | pictures of rills where the small ditch is lined with loose fitting
| brick
| | and rock. Small catch basins of brick and rock are sometimes built
in.
| It
| | doesn't require mortar or cement but still channels the rainwater
faster
| and
| | better than dirt, and often old or used materials are used.
| |
| | Also, since the bricks are laid without mortar, rain water seeps

below
| them
| | and makes excellent, wet, protected soil for water loving shrubs
(fern,
| | iris, daylilies, etc.)
| |
| | At the bottom, I think a lined catch basin to hold the water better
| (about
| | the size of big sink), or you might lay a pond liner under the dirt
and
| | create a bog garden. Then let frogs, tadpoles, and other wildlife
move
| in
| | as they will.
| |
| |
| | "SVTKate" wrote in message
| | news | | It's me again.
| |
| | Having too much time on ones hands to work out in the 'yard' makes
the
| | imagination run amok with ideas for making the whole place look

like
| | wooded wonderland.
| |
| | Having the pocketbook of a retiree, makes one's imagination often
come
| | screaming, frustrated halt in nothing short.
| |
| | I have been looking at my place and thinking that I would like a
| little
| | stream. There is no natural running water but if it were to run

from
| up
| by
| | the house to the pond (call it 200 yards as a rough guess) it has

an
| | already
| | natural pathway from where the rain runoff travels.
| |
| | If you do a stream, do you have to do filters and all of that?
| | Are the pumps expensive to purchase and operate?
| | What are the real ups and downs of manmade streams?
| | Do you think it feasible with the distance I am dreaming of?
| | Are they terribly involved to build or can you just dig a ditch,

put
| some
| | rocks in to prevent erosion and turn it on?
| |
| | Thanks folks for hearing my stupid questions and not throwing me

in
| the
| | pond.
| |
| | Kate
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old 15-07-2004, 05:03 AM
SVTKate

"Heather" wrote in message
| Kate:
|
| The photo is awesome! What a beautiful site!
|
| Heather
|

| "SVTKate" wrote in message
| link.net...
| HI Perry
| I am new here too, and I do like the idea that you have there.
| Something like a Dry creek, maybe with a little catch pond halfway up
the
| bank..?
| Here is a shot of my 'pond' from my back porch....
| http://www.kizthiz.com/pondview.jpg
| I would like the stream to wind down in an S shape from the top to the
| bottom
|
| Hmm... food for thought! Thank You!
| Kate
|

| "Perry" wrote in message
| . ..
| | Hi Kate,
| | (Greetings to all from a first time postee)
| |
| | Have you thought of just putting in a rill (man-made stream bed)?
I've
| seen
| | pictures of rills where the small ditch is lined with loose fitting
| brick
| | and rock. Small catch basins of brick and rock are sometimes built
in.
| It
| | doesn't require mortar or cement but still channels the rainwater
faster
| and
| | better than dirt, and often old or used materials are used.
| |
| | Also, since the bricks are laid without mortar, rain water seeps below
| them
| | and makes excellent, wet, protected soil for water loving shrubs
(fern,
| | iris, daylilies, etc.)
| |
| | At the bottom, I think a lined catch basin to hold the water better
| (about
| | the size of big sink), or you might lay a pond liner under the dirt
and
| | create a bog garden. Then let frogs, tadpoles, and other wildlife
move
| in
| | as they will.
| |
| |
| | "SVTKate" wrote in message
| | news | | It's me again.
| |
| | Having too much time on ones hands to work out in the 'yard' makes
the
| | imagination run amok with ideas for making the whole place look like
| | wooded wonderland.
| |
| | Having the pocketbook of a retiree, makes one's imagination often
come
| | screaming, frustrated halt in nothing short.
| |
| | I have been looking at my place and thinking that I would like a
| little
| | stream. There is no natural running water but if it were to run from
| up
| by
| | the house to the pond (call it 200 yards as a rough guess) it has an
| | already
| | natural pathway from where the rain runoff travels.
| |
| | If you do a stream, do you have to do filters and all of that?
| | Are the pumps expensive to purchase and operate?
| | What are the real ups and downs of manmade streams?
| | Do you think it feasible with the distance I am dreaming of?
| | Are they terribly involved to build or can you just dig a ditch, put
| some
| | rocks in to prevent erosion and turn it on?
| |
| | Thanks folks for hearing my stupid questions and not throwing me in
| the
| | pond.
| |
| | Kate
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old 15-07-2004, 07:03 AM
SVTKate

Umm....
but I might fool around *wink*

that is till you got a close look at me LOL!

Kate

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
| You have a lake in the back, a football stadium/landing strip in the
front!

| Consider this my wedding proposal................ I forgot you are
already
| married ......................
|
| --
| _______________________________________
| "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is
| like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:
| The chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."
|
| http://community.webshots.com/user/godwino
|
| "SVTKate" wrote in message
| ink.net...
| Thank You Heather
| That's what it looks like nearly every morning off my back porch. I sit
| and
| sip coffee and enjoy the view.
| The day we first came to look at this house it was raining cats and
dogs.
| We
| waited on the back porch for the realtor to meet us for about 45
minutes.
| While we were there we found the peace and quiet (no cars, no sirens, no
| planes... no noise but the birds) and the scent of the wet pines so
| enjoyable that we decided then it was the right place, even though we
had
| not yet seen the inside of the place.
| Luckily, the inside of the house was what we wanted too, and at a great
| price including a shop!
|
| Here's another picture you may enjoy, the view from our FRONT porch !
| http://www.kizthiz.com/frontporch.jpg
|
| *sigh* so much yard, so little money! LOL
|
| Kate
|

| "Heather" wrote in message
| | Kate:
| |
| | The photo is awesome! What a beautiful site!
| |
| | Heather
| |
| |
| | "SVTKate" wrote in message
| | link.net...
| | HI Perry
| | I am new here too, and I do like the idea that you have there.
| | Something like a Dry creek, maybe with a little catch pond halfway
up
| the
| | bank..?
| | Here is a shot of my 'pond' from my back porch....
| | http://www.kizthiz.com/pondview.jpg
| | I would like the stream to wind down in an S shape from the top to
the
| | bottom
| |
| | Hmm... food for thought! Thank You!
| | Kate
| |
| |
| | "Perry" wrote in message
| | . ..
| | | Hi Kate,
| | | (Greetings to all from a first time postee)
| | |
| | | Have you thought of just putting in a rill (man-made stream bed)?
| I've
| | seen
| | | pictures of rills where the small ditch is lined with loose
fitting
| | brick
| | | and rock. Small catch basins of brick and rock are sometimes
built
| in.
| | It
| | | doesn't require mortar or cement but still channels the rainwater
| faster
| | and
| | | better than dirt, and often old or used materials are used.
| | |
| | | Also, since the bricks are laid without mortar, rain water seeps
| below
| | them
| | | and makes excellent, wet, protected soil for water loving shrubs
| (fern,
| | | iris, daylilies, etc.)
| | |
| | | At the bottom, I think a lined catch basin to hold the water
better
| | (about
| | | the size of big sink), or you might lay a pond liner under the
dirt
| and
| | | create a bog garden. Then let frogs, tadpoles, and other wildlife
| move
| | in
| | | as they will.
| | |
| | |
| | | "SVTKate" wrote in message
| | | news | | | It's me again.
| | |
| | | Having too much time on ones hands to work out in the 'yard'
makes
| the
| | | imagination run amok with ideas for making the whole place look
| like
| | | wooded wonderland.
| | |
| | | Having the pocketbook of a retiree, makes one's imagination
often
| come
| | | screaming, frustrated halt in nothing short.
| | |
| | | I have been looking at my place and thinking that I would like a
| | little
| | | stream. There is no natural running water but if it were to run
| from
| | up
| | by
| | | the house to the pond (call it 200 yards as a rough guess) it
has
| an
| | | already
| | | natural pathway from where the rain runoff travels.
| | |
| | | If you do a stream, do you have to do filters and all of that?
| | | Are the pumps expensive to purchase and operate?
| | | What are the real ups and downs of manmade streams?
| | | Do you think it feasible with the distance I am dreaming of?
| | | Are they terribly involved to build or can you just dig a ditch,
| put
| | some
| | | rocks in to prevent erosion and turn it on?
| | |
| | | Thanks folks for hearing my stupid questions and not throwing me
| in
| | the
| | | pond.
| | |
| | | Kate
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old 15-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Heather

"SVTKate" wrote in message
link.net...
HI Perry
I am new here too, and I do like the idea that you have there.
Something like a Dry creek, maybe with a little catch pond halfway up the
bank..?
Here is a shot of my 'pond' from my back porch....
http://www.kizthiz.com/pondview.jpg
I would like the stream to wind down in an S shape from the top to the
bottom

Hmm... food for thought! Thank You!
Kate

. ..

Old 16-07-2004, 10:02 AM
SVTKate

'sokay....
I like em a little whacko.

Ummm.. how big IS that sailboat?

Kate

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
| You don't have a pond! Huuuuuh! You have a lake! L A K E I say!
|
| And one day soon, I will bring my sail boat, a hammer and saw and build
the
| dock we talked about and sail my boat on your L A K E! ;-)
|
| (PS: Yes BV I forgot to take my medication(s) this morning)
|
| --
| _______________________________________
| "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is
| like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:
| The chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."
|
| http://community.webshots.com/user/godwino
|
| "SVTKate" wrote in message
| hlink.net...
| Hey Tim,
| The way our pond is designed it fills with the run off from the
property.
| The whole place 'funnels' down to the pond.
| If it didn't there wouldn't be any water in the pond. ;¬(
|
| Kate
|
| "tim chandler" wrote in message
| | Kate,
| |
| | Sounds like a great plan! Just one caution, where the water naturally
| runs
| | is not always the best place to put your pond or stream - generally
you
| do
| | not want runoff going into your system, it brings with it dirty water,
| | debris and any minerals, chemicals, etc. that it's picked up along the
| way.
| | You can still use the slope, but I wouldn't make your streambed be in
| the
| | same place as the natural runoff. With a long stream, you could put
in
| lots
| | of plants as a veggie filter to help keep your water in great shape.
| |
| | Happy Ponding!
| | Tim C.
| |
| | "SVTKate" wrote in message
| | news | | It's me again.
| |
| | Having too much time on ones hands to work out in the 'yard' makes
the
| | imagination run amok with ideas for making the whole place look like
| | wooded wonderland.
| |
| | Having the pocketbook of a retiree, makes one's imagination often
come
| | screaming, frustrated halt in nothing short.
| |
| | I have been looking at my place and thinking that I would like a
| little
| | stream. There is no natural running water but if it were to run from
| up
| by
| | the house to the pond (call it 200 yards as a rough guess) it has an
| | already
| | natural pathway from where the rain runoff travels.
| |
| | If you do a stream, do you have to do filters and all of that?
| | Are the pumps expensive to purchase and operate?
| | What are the real ups and downs of manmade streams?
| | Do you think it feasible with the distance I am dreaming of?
| | Are they terribly involved to build or can you just dig a ditch, put
| some
| | rocks in to prevent erosion and turn it on?
| |
| | Thanks folks for hearing my stupid questions and not throwing me in
| the
| | pond.
| |
| | Kate
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old 16-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Perry

You've got a great yard! I would imagine pumping water that far up a hill
would be a chore, plus you would probably need to make a watertight course
to conserve water and cut down on sediment.

Even building a rill out of rock or brick would be a boatload of work.
Maybe you could do it in stages, especially if you make a little catch pond
halfway down. Then overflow could continue down to the REAL pond.

Here are some links that might be interesting to you:
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/burema...abhose_075.cfm
http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/desig...rgarden/8.html
http://www.raingardens.org/Qualities_And_Benefits.php
http://www.greenfingers.com/articled...NGHANDS&id=367
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/eberry/HESTER.html

Regards,
Perry

"SVTKate" wrote in message
link.net...
HI Perry
I am new here too, and I do like the idea that you have there.
Something like a Dry creek, maybe with a little catch pond halfway up the
bank..?
Here is a shot of my 'pond' from my back porch....
http://www.kizthiz.com/pondview.jpg
I would like the stream to wind down in an S shape from the top to the
bottom

Hmm... food for thought! Thank You!
Kate

. ..

Old 17-07-2004, 07:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Old 18-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Happy'Cam'per

"SVTKate" wrote in message
link.net...
'sokay....
I like em a little whacko.

Ummm.. how big IS that sailboat?

Does the size really matter? As long as it floats Ja
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 20-07-2004, 10:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us