Old 24-07-2004, 02:07 PM
tim chandler

Default Yellow/green hyacinths: Some improvement

I also notice that my WH are much happier in the VF, much greener and with
much longer roots than those in the pond where they are viciously nibbled
at! I switch the yellower, anemic-looking ones in the pond to the VF, and
the ones in the VF to the pond for a while...

Tim C.

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
.. .
Hi BV,

We wondered if that could be the case...however, we keep feeding the koi

and
goldfish and it seems unlikely they would starve with respect to koi waste
food. HOWEVER, the iron has made a difference.

The berm WH are returning to their dark green selves and have begun to
send out daughter plants...normally this happens at a wild rate. With the
yellowing, it essentially stopped.

The (munched-root) WH in the pond are a LOT behind, but some are

getting
green streaks in the leaves...a first step.

The munched ones we floated in the tomato fertilizer (low nitrogen)

are
slowly greening, about like the ones in the pond.

I infer the yellowing problem was indeed iron as that alone has changed

the
WH in the berm. I infer the secondary problem for the pond WH is eaten
roots.

With respect to starving, I infer we did starve them of iron. Regular
potash additions seem to have handled that aspect of things.

Thanks for wrestling with our problem with us.

I am delighted that the pf is doing well for you. Until the yellowing, I
used to cut over a foot a week from the pf in ur u-shaped falls and the

two
barrels with it on top.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at:

jogathon.net

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
Jan,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will give that a try. One new container with tap water coming up!

The ones on the berm are progressively darkening.

Jim, you and Phyllis have a pretty seriously stocked VF, could you

simply
be
starving the plants? BTW, the PF you sent me, is taking over the VF.
Literally TAKING OVER. It looks awesome.

BV.

Old 25-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Hi Tim,

We have not had a problem before this year. It may be that our koi were
happy with their catfish food and have a little less this year. Previously,
they nibbled, but did not savage them as this year. We may need to swap
them around. In previous years, we have had a lot of smaller WH in the
pond. This year, we moved a smaller number of 18" hyacinth into the pond.

Old 25-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Rodney Pont

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:07:12 -0500, Jim and Phyllis Hurley wrote:

Hi Tim,

We have not had a problem before this year. It may be that our koi were
happy with their catfish food and have a little less this year. Previously,
they nibbled, but did not savage them as this year. We may need to swap
them around. In previous years, we have had a lot of smaller WH in the
pond. This year, we moved a smaller number of 18" hyacinth into the pond.

Ours went yellow this year but they have all greened up with a bit of
warmer, sunnier weather. We only have goldfish and they haven't been
nibbling the roots. The PH is stable at 7.2 - 7.4 and we've not added
fertilizer apart from the usual potash.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 25-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Rodney,

Thanks for increasing our knowledge if hyacinths. I infer you think the
weathe may have contributed to the yellowing. That is new for me. Funny
plants aren't they.

news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.i1eo3b2.pminews@ihs1 ...

Old 26-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Rodney Pont

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 07:44:36 -0500, Jim and Phyllis Hurley wrote:

Rodney,

Thanks for increasing our knowledge if hyacinths. I infer you think the
weathe may have contributed to the yellowing. That is new for me. Funny
plants aren't they.

Yes I think it was the weather in our case Jim. We had nightime
temperatures of 7 and daytime of 11 (centigrade - 45 and 52 fahrenheit)
for a while and they are tropical plants so it's not that surprising.
They also need 14 hours of daylight so they sometimes die off before it
gets cold here.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 26-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Rodney,

You have added another piece of information. I had never heard a number of
hours of light needed. Where did you get the figure? Many of us have tried
holding hyacinth over the winter, only to lose them slowly, even in warmth.
Perhaps longer artificial light would help us. Any other gems of WH
knowledge? Or resources on line?

news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.i1gm241.pminews@ihs1 ...

Old 27-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Rodney Pont

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:12:03 -0500, Jim and Phyllis Hurley wrote:

Rodney,

You have added another piece of information. I had never heard a number of
hours of light needed. Where did you get the figure? Many of us have tried
holding hyacinth over the winter, only to lose them slowly, even in warmth.
Perhaps longer artificial light would help us. Any other gems of WH
knowledge? Or resources on line?

I thought I got it from this group :-)

If not it would have been in the Practical Fishkeeping magazine in the
UK. Wherever I got the information from also said that you needed very
bright artificial lighting to overwinter it. I suspect the 14 hours is
for the UK and if you are further south and get brighter sunlight they
may need less. I think they also need six hours direct sun a day to
flower (at least at our latitude) and we don't get that here due to a
30 foot cherry tree.

Longer or brighter lighting may well help you to overwinter them but
they do need a lot of it and it's likely to cost a lot more than
replacing them every season although some T5 fluorescent tubes may not
be too bad to run.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 27-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Rodney Pont

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:12:03 -0500, Jim and Phyllis Hurley wrote:

Rodney,

You have added another piece of information. I had never heard a number of
hours of light needed. Where did you get the figure? Many of us have tried
holding hyacinth over the winter, only to lose them slowly, even in warmth.
Perhaps longer artificial light would help us. Any other gems of WH
knowledge? Or resources on line?

This site has some details on how they overwintered them

http://www.colorbat.com/hold_over.htm

They did survive but only just.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 27-07-2004, 05:36 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Rodney,

Thanks for the reference. I am newly encouraged by the way our WH survive
the Southern winter by floating in the pond with plastic over them. The
leaves and some plants die back, but lots come right back in the spring. If
they are not frozen in ice (temp gets LOWER that 32 degrees) they mostly
make it. In the spring we strip the dead leaves and toss the remainder back
in. They grow well.

Cheaper than lights!

news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.i1hqlf1.pminews@ihs1 ...