Old 21-07-2004, 05:05 AM
Heather

Default Whew!!! Close call.

Hi Jan

In Canada we have a store called Canadian Tire. They carry a wide range of
power options from the small power inverter you speaks of to higher models
costing about $300 Cdn that have more power. Great inventions.

In the winter I use my power inverter to run a heating pad in the van. It
heats warmer and faster than a seat warmer!

Since we live in the country putting a UPS on my pond pump is a good idea.
I think we can buy smallish ones for $100 or so in Costco. Just have to
figure out how to protect if from the elements. Ideas anyone?

Heather

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Jan tried something interesting,
kathy :-)

George, I really feel for you, but I think if I lived anywhere around or
especially east of the Mississippi, we'd have a generator. As is, as K30
menitoned, last winter we did have a power outage of 6.5 hours at negative
19 (I think it was -10 in my micro-climate). Luckily my set up in winter
self drains and we had snow cover, so the ponds were insulated and I had

no
problems.

Now yesterday's power outage was more scary, with temps hitting that 100+
mark. After the outage of winter, DH purchased a simple 2 plug-in inverter
to run off a car's battery. Cost around $20. When he bought it I thought

it
was silly and a car's battery wouldn't last that long. Well was I
surprised.

Son, who just couldn't wait to try out this new toy, got it hooked up and
extension cord out to the pond within minutes. The 2nd plug-in he ran
extension cords to my aquariums rotating between them to keep the filters
aerated. Due to most of the fish being outside, he just wanted to keep the
filters refreshed, since cleaning them is his chore. ;o)

Like you, he ran his tropical tanks off his computer's UPS.

With the inverter the van's battery ran the pond for 90 minutes before the
inverter signaled that the battery was getting low. Per the directions we
started up the van and let it idle for 10-15 minutes, with the inverter
connected. We then turned off the van, and the battery lasted another hour
before the signal went off again, just as our power came back on.

That $20 invested really made a big difference in my life, my only worry
was the frozen foods, any idea how long an opened freezer will keep things
frozen?

The other big difference is that when the power is off more than 20

minutes
in that kind of heat, depending on your filter, you either have to flush

it
or clean it. So I would have had to be out in the dark putting a pump in
the pump chamber and running it for 30 minutes on the lawn, restarting the
filter, adding water/dechlor. and putting everything away, etc.. Instead,

was able to get on my computer as soon as power came on. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 21-07-2004, 05:06 AM
Ka30P

Heather wrote Just have to
figure out how to protect if from the elements. Ideas anyone?

We mounted an air pump on a post and upended a galvanized tub over it. Topped
the tub with a birdhouse. Doesn't look all that bad...

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 21-07-2004, 05:06 AM
GrannyGrump

Hey George, You don't live too far from me! I am up-river from you
about 50 miles, on the IN side.

Old 21-07-2004, 05:07 AM
RichToyBox

I have a large air pump that is piped to both ponds and it is hooked to an
inverter at all times. The inverter is connected to the largest capacity
automotive battery that I could find which is connected to a battery charger
set on trickle charge. If the power goes out, the battery is then supplying
power to the air pump, and based on my calculations of ampacity of the
battery and current draw of the pump, it should last up to 18 hours. If I
am home, the generator is started about 2 hours into any outage, but if I am
not home, the fish are safe for most of a day.
--
RichToyBox

Old 21-07-2004, 05:07 AM
Bob Koerber

Heather wrote:

Hi Jan

In Canada we have a store called Canadian Tire. They carry a wide range of
power options from the small power inverter you speaks of to higher models
costing about $300 Cdn that have more power. Great inventions.

In the winter I use my power inverter to run a heating pad in the van. It
heats warmer and faster than a seat warmer!

Since we live in the country putting a UPS on my pond pump is a good idea.
I think we can buy smallish ones for $100 or so in Costco. Just have to
figure out how to protect if from the elements. Ideas anyone?

Heather

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I use a small compressor for air in my big pond I just put it in a
plastic shoe box without the lid and then put a rubbermaid container
over it with a couple of brick to keep it from blowing off. Has
survived nasty storms.

Bob

Old 21-07-2004, 05:08 AM
Crashj

" George" wrote in message ...
Hi guys and gals. Well, the power went off here two days ago during a
ferocius storm which knocked out power to 100,000 homes and businesses
in the Louisville area. My power just came on just a while ago today.
I was beginning to have real concerns about my fish.

Small generators capable of 3000 watts can be had for less that $400.
You will need a lot of gasoline, of course.
I have a 1973 GMC motorhome with a 6000 watt generator that burns 1
gallon/hour at full output. The motorhome tanks hold 50 gallons. That
might get me through a week. I would also have to run the fridge or
use the one in the coach.
The Canadian aquarium keepers lost many fish during the big power
outage years ago. The ice load took out major sections of transmission
line and it took some of them months to get back on line.
So what happens to your fish when the Rapture comes??
--
Crashj
Old 21-07-2004, 05:09 AM
GrannyGrump

Did your power go out? I hope everything turned out ok for you. Wow, I've seen
some bad storms (even the 1974 tornados), but that was certainly one of the tops
on my list. Let me guess. Madison? No, that is perhaps too close. Veyvay?

It flashed out but was right back on... we didn't get those winds, but
my Mom on the west side of the county did....

Just a few miles NE of Madison

Want some goldfish? I am cleaning out my goldfish pond and giving away
all the small and medium sized ones.

Old 21-07-2004, 05:09 AM
George

"Crashj" wrote in message
om...
" George" wrote in message
.. .
Hi guys and gals. Well, the power went off here two days ago during a
ferocius storm which knocked out power to 100,000 homes and businesses
in the Louisville area. My power just came on just a while ago today.
I was beginning to have real concerns about my fish.

Small generators capable of 3000 watts can be had for less that $400.
You will need a lot of gasoline, of course.

Yes, I am aware of this. Try running one in the middle of the night in a
suburban neighborhood and see how long it takes before someone gets violent over
the noise.

I have a 1973 GMC motorhome with a 6000 watt generator that burns 1
gallon/hour at full output. The motorhome tanks hold 50 gallons. That
might get me through a week. I would also have to run the fridge or
use the one in the coach.
The Canadian aquarium keepers lost many fish during the big power
outage years ago. The ice load took out major sections of transmission
line and it took some of them months to get back on line.
So what happens to your fish when the Rapture comes??
--
Crashj

I don't have a problem with raptors?

Old 21-07-2004, 05:09 AM
George

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message

Did your power go out? I hope everything turned out ok for you. Wow, I've
seen
some bad storms (even the 1974 tornados), but that was certainly one of the
tops
on my list. Let me guess. Madison? No, that is perhaps too close. Veyvay?

It flashed out but was right back on... we didn't get those winds, but
my Mom on the west side of the county did....

Just a few miles NE of Madison

We had 80 mph winds in my part of the county. They were quite ferocious. Power
was out until yesterday morning.

Want some goldfish? I am cleaning out my goldfish pond and giving away
all the small and medium sized ones.

Funny you should ask this, because I was just out feeding my fish this A.M,
thinking it was time to cull the herd, so to speak. There is a pond dealer near
me,and I was thinking about seeing if he would trade about a 7 juveniles (5-6
inches), and about 6 fingerlings (about 1 1/2-2 inches) for a nice butterfly
koi. I had three others last year. One became catfish food when he
inadvertently tried to take the same morsel my catfish had his eye on. A second
one disappeared this winter, (I think to the cold). So I have one left, but he
is a real beauty. I want to keep my large female goldfish (about 10 inches),
and my largest, prettiest male (about 6 inches - long finned white tail). I
also have one solid white fingerling, one solid black that may or may not change
(the others already have, but this one hasn't, and he's no runt either - he's
actually the biggest fingerling of the bunch, and may turn out to be a female).
Then I have one fingerling that is orange and white. The rest are orange. I
want to keep the white one, and the orange and white, but get rid of the others.
My koi are starting to get big, so I want to make more room for them.

Old 21-07-2004, 06:07 AM
GrannyGrump

Old 21-07-2004, 07:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Actually I was impressed that a purchase of theirs, that they claimed could
help out the ponds in a pinch, therefore I should approve of the
purchase.... actually did. ;o) ~ jan

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:11:41 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

My guys do impress me every now and then. ;o)

SNIP

Hey, just because we're short half a chromosome doesn't mean we men
don't have our uses now and then. G

PlainBill
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression, for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
-Thomas Paine

Old 22-07-2004, 02:11 AM
PlainBill

Jan,

Sounds like a REALLY inexpensive and very effective solution to
the problem. The small UPSs available for under $50 only put out
rated power for about 10 minutes, and there is no way to recharge
their batteries until the power comes back on!!!

PlainBill

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:28:56 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

[...]

filter, adding water/dechlor. and putting everything away, etc.. Instead, I

Old 22-07-2004, 02:11 AM
RichToyBox

Standard 3% OTC.
--
RichToyBox
" George" wrote in message

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
I have used peroxide, as has my BIL and at least one other member of our
pond club. I first saw it on Doc Johnson's site. It works well and

allows
the fish to get their heads back under water in just minutes. At high
rates, I think it could burn the fish, but at the posted dosage it works

for
a few hours, and then has to be redone.
--
RichToyBox

What was the concentration of the solution (not the dosage)?

bluegill phil wrote in message
Its been posted here that you can use hydrogen peroxide @1cup per 100
gallons to add oxygen, is that true. Has anyone really done this?

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:24:25 -0400, " George"
wrote:

"Crashj" wrote in message
. com...
" George" wrote in message
"Crashj" wrote in message
om...
" George" wrote in message
.. .
Hi guys and gals. Well, the power went off here two days ago

during a
ferocius storm which knocked out power to 100,000 homes and

businesses
in the Louisville area. My power just came on just a while ago

today.
I was beginning to have real concerns about my fish.

Small generators capable of 3000 watts can be had for less that

$400.
You will need a lot of gasoline, of course.

Yes, I am aware of this. Try running one in the middle of the

night
in a
suburban neighborhood and see how long it takes before someone gets
violent over the noise.

So what happens to your fish when the Rapture comes??

I don't have a problem with raptors?

Snork! [laughter]

Just kidding.

If noise is a concern go for the Honda portables which are demand
regulated. You cannot hear them at all from more than a few feet

away.
--
Crashj

I bought a power inverter instead. 140 watts output, from radio

shack.
It
should let me run the water pump instead of just the air pump. My

pump
is 124
watts 1/6 hp.

Old 22-07-2004, 02:11 AM
bluegill phil

good. The last power outage I was in people had everything that would
burn or power bought up in a couple hours No lamp oil or batterys,but
I thank there was still plenty of HP left.

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:24:47 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

Standard 3% OTC.

Old 22-07-2004, 07:30 PM
George

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message

Hey George, You don't live too far from me! I am up-river from you
about 50 miles, on the IN side.

Did your power go out? I hope everything turned out ok for you. Wow, I've seen
some bad storms (even the 1974 tornados), but that was certainly one of the tops
on my list. Let me guess. Madison? No, that is perhaps too close. Veyvay?

Kiss goodbye to international call charges! Now you can call abroadfor the price of a UK call! APNADIAL United Kingdom 8 31-07-2009 06:24 PM
Whew! That was close!! Mark and Kim Smith Ponds 3 01-09-2004 02:18 PM
Whew! That was close!! Mark and Kim Smith Ponds 6 01-09-2004 02:18 PM
Whew!!! Close call. George Ponds 19 18-07-2004 08:02 AM
how close is too close? griffon Gardening 3 27-04-2003 07:20 PM