Old 22-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Crashj

Default Whew!!! Close call.

" George" wrote in message . ..
"Crashj" wrote in message
om...
" George" wrote in message
.. .
Hi guys and gals. Well, the power went off here two days ago during a
ferocius storm which knocked out power to 100,000 homes and businesses
in the Louisville area. My power just came on just a while ago today.
I was beginning to have real concerns about my fish.

Small generators capable of 3000 watts can be had for less that $400.
You will need a lot of gasoline, of course.

Yes, I am aware of this. Try running one in the middle of the night in a
suburban neighborhood and see how long it takes before someone gets
violent over the noise.

So what happens to your fish when the Rapture comes??

I don't have a problem with raptors?

Snork! [laughter]

If noise is a concern go for the Honda portables which are demand
regulated. You cannot hear them at all from more than a few feet away.
--
Crashj
Old 22-07-2004, 07:36 PM
George

"Crashj" wrote in message
om...
" George" wrote in message
"Crashj" wrote in message
om...
" George" wrote in message
.. .
Hi guys and gals. Well, the power went off here two days ago during a
ferocius storm which knocked out power to 100,000 homes and businesses
in the Louisville area. My power just came on just a while ago today.
I was beginning to have real concerns about my fish.

Small generators capable of 3000 watts can be had for less that $400.
You will need a lot of gasoline, of course.

Yes, I am aware of this. Try running one in the middle of the night in a
suburban neighborhood and see how long it takes before someone gets
violent over the noise.

So what happens to your fish when the Rapture comes??

I don't have a problem with raptors?

Snork! [laughter]

Just kidding.

If noise is a concern go for the Honda portables which are demand
regulated. You cannot hear them at all from more than a few feet away.
--
Crashj

I bought a power inverter instead. 140 watts output, from radio shack. It
should let me run the water pump instead of just the air pump. My pump is 124
watts 1/6 hp.

Old 24-07-2004, 02:06 PM
George

bluegill phil wrote in message
Its been posted here that you can use hydrogen peroxide @1cup per 100
gallons to add oxygen, is that true. Has anyone really done this?

I've use it to bioremediate contaminated ground water, but I've never even
considered using it in an aquarium or a pond. I would think that it would be
toxic to the fish, but I don't know for sure since I've not had any experience
using it for that purpose.

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:24:25 -0400, " George"
wrote:

"Crashj" wrote in message
.com...
" George" wrote in message
t...
"Crashj" wrote in message
om...
.. .

Old 26-07-2004, 10:05 AM
George

"PlainBill" wrote in message
Jan,

Sounds like a REALLY inexpensive and very effective solution to
the problem. The small UPSs available for under $50 only put out
rated power for about 10 minutes, and there is no way to recharge
their batteries until the power comes back on!!!

PlainBill

I bought a power inverter Friday from Radio Shack. It is rated at 140 watts,
115 volts, continuous duty. It should run an air pump (6 watts) for quite a
while. When the power starts gettng critical, a light comes on, and it shuts
down. Then I can just start the car, let the battery re-charge, and turn it
back on. I'm not sure how long it will run the pump before the battery gets too
low, but it is a better solution, I think than the UPS. But I still have the
UPS if I need it.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:28:56 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

Jan tried something interesting,
kathy :-)

George, I really feel for you, but I think if I lived anywhere around or
especially east of the Mississippi, we'd have a generator. As is, as K30
menitoned, last winter we did have a power outage of 6.5 hours at negative
19 (I think it was -10 in my micro-climate). Luckily my set up in winter
self drains and we had snow cover, so the ponds were insulated and I had no
problems.

Now yesterday's power outage was more scary, with temps hitting that 100+
mark. After the outage of winter, DH purchased a simple 2 plug-in inverter
to run off a car's battery. Cost around $20. When he bought it I thought it
was silly and a car's battery wouldn't last that long. Well was I
surprised.

Son, who just couldn't wait to try out this new toy, got it hooked up and
extension cord out to the pond within minutes. The 2nd plug-in he ran
extension cords to my aquariums rotating between them to keep the filters
aerated. Due to most of the fish being outside, he just wanted to keep the
filters refreshed, since cleaning them is his chore. ;o)

Like you, he ran his tropical tanks off his computer's UPS.

With the inverter the van's battery ran the pond for 90 minutes before the
inverter signaled that the battery was getting low. Per the directions we
started up the van and let it idle for 10-15 minutes, with the inverter
connected. We then turned off the van, and the battery lasted another hour
before the signal went off again, just as our power came back on.

That $20 invested really made a big difference in my life, my only worry
was the frozen foods, any idea how long an opened freezer will keep things
frozen?

The other big difference is that when the power is off more than 20 minutes
in that kind of heat, depending on your filter, you either have to flush it
or clean it. So I would have had to be out in the dark putting a pump in
the pump chamber and running it for 30 minutes on the lawn, restarting the
filter, adding water/dechlor. and putting everything away, etc.. Instead, I
was able to get on my computer as soon as power came on. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression, for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will
reach to himself.
-Thomas Paine

Old 28-07-2004, 01:05 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Actually I was impressed that a purchase of theirs, that they claimed could
help out the ponds in a pinch, therefore I should approve of the
purchase.... actually did. ;o) ~ jan

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:11:41 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

My guys do impress me every now and then. ;o)

SNIP

Hey, just because we're short half a chromosome doesn't mean we men
don't have our uses now and then. G

PlainBill

Old 28-07-2004, 08:03 AM
RichToyBox

Standard 3% OTC.
--
RichToyBox
" George" wrote in message

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
I have used peroxide, as has my BIL and at least one other member of our
pond club. I first saw it on Doc Johnson's site. It works well and

allows
the fish to get their heads back under water in just minutes. At high
rates, I think it could burn the fish, but at the posted dosage it works

for
a few hours, and then has to be redone.
--
RichToyBox

What was the concentration of the solution (not the dosage)?

bluegill phil wrote in message
Its been posted here that you can use hydrogen peroxide @1cup per 100
gallons to add oxygen, is that true. Has anyone really done this?

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:24:25 -0400, " George"
wrote:

"Crashj" wrote in message
. com...
" George" wrote in message
"Crashj" wrote in message
om...
.. .

Old 28-07-2004, 09:03 AM
bluegill phil

good. The last power outage I was in people had everything that would
burn or power bought up in a couple hours No lamp oil or batterys,but
I thank there was still plenty of HP left.

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:24:47 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

Standard 3% OTC.

Kiss goodbye to international call charges! Now you can call abroadfor the price of a UK call! APNADIAL United Kingdom 8 31-07-2009 06:24 PM
Whew! That was close!! Mark and Kim Smith Ponds 3 01-09-2004 02:18 PM
Whew! That was close!! Mark and Kim Smith Ponds 6 01-09-2004 02:18 PM
Whew!!! Close call. George Ponds 19 18-07-2004 08:02 AM
how close is too close? griffon Gardening 3 27-04-2003 07:20 PM