Old 19-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Mark Bannister

Default Veggie filter + what? to get clear water

Our new pond (taking forever to get finished) will have a upflow veggie
filter with about 12% more surface area than the pond's.
What other filters should be put in?
Pond is 700+ US gallons. Pump is overkill (Sequence 750 series
4200SEQ12, 2300 GPH) but we will be adding other water features in the
future. (Boy, that AZponds is REALLY inexpensive for pumps!)
Intake for pump is a no-niche skimmer and an intake at the bottom of the
pump, both 1.5" pipe. (Bottom intake will be a DIY Tetra bottom drain
http://www.azponds.com/Bottom%20Drains.htm with that will act as a plant
stand).
Should I put in some sort of trickle tower as well? My "pump house" is
in the storage room. At floor level it is about 12" below the pond's
surface. A trickle tower could be put on a stand of some sort.

I am after clear water. Pond is block lined with granite tile (or will
be if it will ever stop raining so I can finish sealing it). I could
add a UV light if required.

Mark B.

Old 19-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Mark Bannister

Errr, that's a vacuum bottom drain.
snip (Bottom intake will be a DIY Tetra bottom drain

Old 19-07-2004, 09:03 PM
GrannyGrump

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:51:47 -0500, Mark Bannister
wrote:

Our new pond (taking forever to get finished) will have a upflow veggie
filter with about 12% more surface area than the pond's.
What other filters should be put in?

Use bacteria and barley straw from the very beginning.

Old 19-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Go Fig

In article , Mark Bannister
wrote:

Our new pond (taking forever to get finished) will have a upflow veggie
filter with about 12% more surface area than the pond's.
What other filters should be put in?

What plants ? You will have no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate problems
with this filled with WH or lettuce. Can you grow these successfully
where you live?

To really polish the water, you will need some sort of mechanical
filter, could be polyester batting, sponges, brushes, or in larger
ponds a sand filter. When maintained properly, these can also provided
biological filtration too.

A UV is very helpful, it will cut down the burden on mechanical filters.

jay
Mon Jul 19, 2004

Old 20-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Mark Bannister

Thanks all.
We are in the South (North Alabama, Zone 7a) so we can grow most
anything once Spring hits. WH grows well and I'm sure water lettuce
would too.
WH does not over winter well. We get it from the river in spring when
it washes down with the rains. It obviously over winters sporadically
in protected places.

Old 21-07-2004, 06:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Depending on how much you're gonna throttle down that pump you won't be
able to pull 2300 gph out of the pond with two 1 & 1/2" pipes, and I think
you may have trouble using that size on the bottom drain, that it will clog
up easily with string algae. At the very least use 2", 3" would be better.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 26-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Mark Bannister

Thanks all.
We are in the South (North Alabama, Zone 7a) so we can grow most
anything once Spring hits. WH grows well and I'm sure water lettuce
would too.
WH does not over winter well. We get it from the river in spring when
it washes down with the rains. It obviously over winters sporadically
in protected places.