Old 20-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Another Example of Naughty Fish Owners

This one is literelly "near" my backyard:

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3538276/detail.html

BV.

Old 20-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
I don't think gold fish will bother the pond. Just be glad it's not a
snakehead.

I disagree. I am firmly against any non-local species from getting
introduced. I can't say I base this on any scientific fact so you will
surely win any argument/discussion on the topic. In IMHO however, we
shouldn't release non-native species in to native waters.

BV.

Old 20-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Ka30P

I found this website this week while doing some research
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/dont_release.html
gives good information about not releasing exotics.

What I was looking for, and could not find yet, was a story out of Montana or
Colorado about banning ornamental pond fish. This is a concern that we all may
be punished someday for the behavior of our soft hearted ponding and fish
keeping siblings.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 21-07-2004, 06:06 AM
George

"Ka30P" wrote in message

I found this website this week while doing some research
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/dont_release.html
gives good information about not releasing exotics.

What I was looking for, and could not find yet, was a story out of Montana or
Colorado about banning ornamental pond fish. This is a concern that we all may
be punished someday for the behavior of our soft hearted ponding and fish
keeping siblings.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Just another reason why we have to be diligent, and responsible.

Old 21-07-2004, 11:02 AM
David Modine

Any of you fellow Marylanders remember hurricane Agnes in 72? The Monacacy
river flooded big time, overwhelming all the ponds up at Lilypons near
Frederick, and perhaps a few other hatcheries in the area.
For quite a few years after that, there was a HUGE polulation of REALLY big
goldfish swimming around in the shallows of the Potomac River, particularly
in the area refered to as "Widewater" in Montgomery County. Fisherman were
regularly hauling out 2' plus highly colored carp and leaving them to rot on
the banks. It was pretty gross.

David

Old 22-07-2004, 02:11 AM
Crashj

"David Modine" wrote in message . ..
Any of you fellow Marylanders remember hurricane Agnes in 72? The Monacacy
river flooded big time, overwhelming all the ponds up at Lilypons near
Frederick

Funny you should mention. A lady at the garden store just mentioned
liliypons to me. Must be quite the place, eh?
Nice blond, would not pitch the name, damn.
--
Crashj

Old 27-07-2004, 05:36 AM
WilsonKKW

I don't think gold fish will bother the pond. Just be glad it's not a
snakehead.
Kathy
living in Carroll Couny..MD