Old 27-07-2004, 12:09 PM
SVTKate

Default how to grow moss on rocks?

I read recently in a garden book the how to:

Grind some moss up as fine as you possibly can and add it to buttermilk then
apply the solution to your stones.
I have not tried it yet, but it sounds reasonable.

Kate

Old 27-07-2004, 01:07 PM
SVTKate

Old 27-07-2004, 01:07 PM
SVTKate

naw, just rinse it with the hose and run it through the dishwasher, it will
be fine

"Dave and Miss" wrote in message
news | Thanks for the info....gonna give it a try. Might have to buy the wife a
new

Old 27-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Mark Bannister

All the methods you have been given for propagating moss will work, but
it depends on the type of moss as well. Some respond well to grinding
up, some do very poorly this way. You might check out bonsai sources as
they have a few thousand years of history on how to do this.
Just to reiterate what has already been said and some comments:
Moss likes acid
Moss likes damp
If you transplant moss you should try to match shade and moisture level.
Some use cheese cloth to hold down moss and keep it together.
Moss near water takes off quickly, especially if part of the moss can
act as a wick and touch the water.
Squirrels and birds LOVE to pull up moss looking for stuff. Many, many
times I came home to our old small pond to find ALL the moss ripped up
and strewn about. A very proud robin or mocking bird would be standing
around, chest out, tummy full.
Squirrels seem to prefer moss on soil to hide nuts under.

Mark B.

Old 28-07-2004, 03:03 AM
bluegill phil

Chickadees use it for nests. They fill my birdhouses with it every
year. After they leave I replant it under the birdhouses where they
got it.

Old 28-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Webfoot

Do what I always do for things like this. Wait until she is asleep.
Timing is the key to a happy marriage. I time everyting for when she
is not around.

Russell Mack

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:39:26 -0700, "Dave and Miss"
wrote:

Thanks for the info....gonna give it a try. Might have to buy the wife a new
blender though. ;-)
"Philip Lewis" wrote in message
. edu...

Old 30-07-2004, 02:14 PM
SVTKate

LOL...
you best just stay away from MY man so you don't teach him anything naughty!

Kate

Old 30-07-2004, 02:14 PM
SVTKate

Old 31-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Mostyn

Dave
yes paint them with milk this should speed up the process.
Mostyn