Old 25-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Registered User

Smile A hard time with moss & rocks

Hi all, while most people are trying to keep moss out of there garden, I'm trying to encourage it. I am haveing difficulty with getting moss to grow specifically on rocks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get moss growing on rocks successfully.

Many thanks for any advise offered.

Best wishes Terry
Old 25-06-2009, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default A hard time with moss & rocks

Terry Coker wrote in
:

Hi all, while most people are trying to keep moss out of there
garden, I'm trying to encourage it. I am haveing difficulty with
getting moss to grow specifically on rocks. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to get moss growing on rocks successfully.

have you tried blending the moss with buttermilk or yogurt &
painting the mixture onto the rocks?
are the rocks moist & shaded? smooth or rough?
lee
Old 25-06-2009, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Terry Coker wrote in
:

Hi all, while most people are trying to keep moss out of there
garden, I'm trying to encourage it. I am haveing difficulty with
getting moss to grow specifically on rocks. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to get moss growing on rocks successfully.

have you tried blending the moss with buttermilk or yogurt &
painting the mixture onto the rocks?
are the rocks moist & shaded? smooth or rough?
lee

We used dried powder milk. Very Acid.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria

http://www.youtube.com/usnationalarchives
Old 25-06-2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Terry Coker wrote:

Hi all, while most people are trying to keep moss out of there garden,
I'm trying to encourage it. I am haveing difficulty with getting moss
to grow specifically on rocks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how
to get moss growing on rocks successfully.

Many thanks for any advise offered.

Best wishes Terry

Face the rock north and keep watered.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 25-06-2009, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Terry Coker" wrote in message

Hi all, while most people are trying to keep moss out of there garden,
I'm trying to encourage it. I am haveing difficulty with getting moss
to grow specifically on rocks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how
to get moss growing on rocks successfully.

Moss doesn't typically grow on rocks, lichens typically grow on rocks. Moss
grows on soil between rocks and on various organic materials, like tree bark
and decaying wood. Lichens grow on a mineral based substance (rocks), and
like dry and full sun. Moss likes wet and shade. One can get moss to grow
in rocks if first they attach some sort of organic, but the moss still will
not be growing directly on the rocks and once the organic material is
depleted, which won't be very long, the moss will die.

Old 25-06-2009, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Terry Coker" wrote in message

Hi all, while most people are trying to keep moss out of there garden,
I'm trying to encourage it. I am haveing difficulty with getting moss
to grow specifically on rocks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how
to get moss growing on rocks successfully.

Moss doesn't typically grow on rocks, lichens typically grow on rocks. Moss
grows on soil between rocks and on various organic materials, like tree bark
and decaying wood. Lichens grow on a mineral based substance (rocks), and
like dry and full sun. Moss likes wet and shade. One can get moss to grow
in rocks if first they attach some sort of organic, but the moss still will
not be growing directly on the rocks and once the organic material is
depleted, which won't be very long, the moss will die.

Uh, now I'm all confused. Could some one identify the moss like
plant growing on the rocks, and the lichen kinda stuff growing on
the branch in the folder "Garden" at http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
Hmmm?
Bwhahahaha

Old 26-06-2009, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 25, 5:03*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*"brooklyn1" wrote:
[...]

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spri...tch.com/p/zinn

I had heard to mix the moss you want with Peanut Butter and Milk and
spread on the rocks. This was in a Japanese gardening article.
Old 26-06-2009, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Nanzi wrote:

On Jun 25, 5:03*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spri...omdispatch.com
/p/zinn

I had heard to mix the moss you want with Peanut Butter and Milk and
spread on the rocks. This was in a Japanese gardening article.

I mentioned powder milk earlier and thought the spores would find
away. But taking moss and blending it with milk faster should work the
peanut butter is sort of a spreader sticker. I have moss growing on my
concrete pond wall after much time. Years. Now I try to keep it off my
roof and brick patio.

http://imgur.com/9gq6p.jpg Quite a contrast!

Bill

Old 26-06-2009, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Nanzi wrote:

On Jun 25, 5:03*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spri....tomdispatch.c
om
/p/zinn

I had heard to mix the moss you want with Peanut Butter and Milk and
spread on the rocks. This was in a Japanese gardening article.

I mentioned powder milk earlier and thought the spores would find
away. But taking moss and blending it with milk faster should work the
peanut butter is sort of a spreader sticker. I have moss growing on my
concrete pond wall after much time. Years. Now I try to keep it off my
roof and brick patio.

http://imgur.com/9gq6p.jpg Quite a contrast!

Bill

I think that's what they call a lawn in Seattle;O)

Old 26-06-2009, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Nanzi" wrote in message
On Jun 25, 5:03 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"brooklyn1" wrote:
[...]

Billy the laughing lunatic doesn't know there's such a thing as a dictionary
because he hasn't a clue what the word "typically" means. And "like" does
not mean is'.

======

d to mix the moss you want with Peanut Butter and Milk and
spread on the rocks. This was in a Japanese gardening article.

=====

Might sometimes work, but only temporarilly... soon as the peanut butter and
milk are depleted so will the moss die. The Japanese keep goldfish alive in
what amounts to a humongous bowl of water, so long as they continue to feed
them, aerate and filter the water, and perform whatever other rmaintenence.
All
"gardening" in of itself strictly means creating and maintaining an
artificial environment in which to grow plants, so is farming. Some plants
are relatively easy to grow, and practically grow on their own, while others
require tremendous effort. Growing moss is one of the more difficult
plants... that's why moss was chosen for that old adage about a rolling
stone.

It's easy to grow moss on stones if one already has or creates the proper
environment, like moss can easily be made to grow on stones in a well shaded
gently flowing stream. I have many such areas on my property where moss
readily grows all by itself on rocks... and then on the same rock where the
sun strikes there is an abrupt demarcation where moss stops and lichens
begin. I have miles of rock walls, where they meander through the deep
woods and meet up with a small stream they are blanketed with mosses, where
they leave the woods and enter the sunny meadow the same kind of rocks grow
layer upon layer of lichens. Every year I grow both mosses and lichens on
rocks... when I dig an offending rock out of my lawn areas I need to put is
somewhere, I typically lug it to wherever is closest, if added to a wall in
the shady wet woods it doesn't take long to grow mosses, if out in the sunny
meadow it begins to become covered with lichens in about three years...
mosses typically grow a lot faster. Were I to exchange their places (which
I have occasionly done) mosses would quickly grow atop the lichens, and with
the other the moss would die rather quickly and lichens would slowly emerge.
There are likely some mosses that will grow in sun so I were you I'd search
for the Jif peanut butter moss (do you like smooth or chunky), perhaps add
some concord grape jelly fertilizer. Oh, and that glass of ice cold milk is
a necessary ingredient.

Old 26-06-2009, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Nanzi" wrote in message
On Jun 25, 5:03 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"brooklyn1" wrote:
[...]

Then why didn't you answer her question the first time instead of
waiting for other's posts to give you your insight?
That was your first lie.

One can get moss to grow in rocks if first they attach some sort of
organic, but the moss still will not be growing directly on the rocks
and once the organic material is depleted, which won't be very long, the
moss will die.
That was your second lie.
Look at the retaining wall again brooklyn1/Shelly, it has been there for
75 years without peanut butter or yogurt. All your squirming and
vituperations ain't gonna change you being WRONG again.

Bwahahahaha

Old 26-06-2009, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article
,
Nanzi wrote:

On Jun 25, 5:03 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"brooklyn1" wrote:
"Terry Coker" wrote in
message

[...]

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few
who
learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric
fence
and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spri...omdispatch.com
/p/zinn

I had heard to mix the moss you want with Peanut Butter and Milk and
spread on the rocks. This was in a Japanese gardening article.

I mentioned powder milk earlier and thought the spores would find
away. But taking moss and blending it with milk faster should work the
peanut butter is sort of a spreader sticker. I have moss growing on my
concrete pond wall after much time. Years. Now I try to keep it off my
roof and brick patio.

http://imgur.com/9gq6p.jpg Quite a contrast!

That patio appears to be indoors, partially indoors, or at least well
shaded, so mosses can be made to grow rather easily. But if you have moss
growing on your roof (you don't display that picture) it could be indicative
of a serverely damaged roof, with lots of well rotted wood under the mossy
areas... have that checked out right away, before it suddenly collapses and
kills people... I see what appears to be a lot of people in your moss
picture... If they are gathering under your mossy roof they could own
you... and now that you've apprised the world that you know of this
condition your insurance won't help you. But I don't believe that's a
picture of your home patio, it's too well orchestrated and cropped, looks
like a commercial establishment with very professional landscaping
(restaurant/caterer, golf course lodge), looks lifted off the net or a
picture of an affair you attended... anyone owns a home with such a patio
isn't going to have moss growing on their roof. Have you a few more views
from a different perspective and a much wider angle, and without the people
in formal dress... should be able to post those in like ten minutes if
that's your home. Bill who putters, eh... that sure looks like a golf
course patio to me... the 19th hole. LOL According to the Properties that
image was lifted today. I can lift similar pictures from the web sites of
the golf coures I frequent.

Old 26-06-2009, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article
,
Nanzi wrote:

On Jun 25, 5:03 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"brooklyn1" wrote:
"Terry Coker" wrote in
message

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spri...ww.tomdispatch.
[...]

You seem to have difficulties with the English medium. Just because
you see some thing does not mean it is tied to the above wording.. The
Image stands alone.

Bill

Old 26-06-2009, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article
,
Nanzi wrote:

On Jun 25, 5:03 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"brooklyn1" wrote:
"Terry Coker" wrote in
message

[...]

Why, did I make any typos?

You seem to have difficulties with ethics.

Old 26-06-2009, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article
,
Nanzi wrote:

On Jun 25, 5:03 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"brooklyn1" wrote:
"Terry Coker" wrote in
message

[...]

Another pointless post, attempting to denigrate those who do know.
Of course it's not his house, you waste of space.