Old 26-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Lostin1999

Default how to grow moss on rocks?

"Dave and Miss" wrote in message
Does anyone out there know an effective technique for growing moss on

rocks
around the waterfall. I'm going for the natural look and would like to

make
them look like they've been there forever. Thanks.....Dave
http://photos.yahoo.com/jeepin9557

the trick I am trying (was told recently) is to put natural yoghurt on
them...

ive also heard a trick of liquidizing moss and milk/natural yoghurt and then
painting the resultant mess.. onto them...

I only painted mine today (on first idea) so no idea if it works...

HTH

Lost

Old 26-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Dave and Miss

Hey Lost...I tried your first method last year with no effect so I'll give
your other suggestion a shot....thanks.

Old 26-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Granny Grump

Does anyone out there know an effective technique for growing moss on rocks
around the waterfall. I'm going for the natural look and would like to make
them look like they've been there forever.

Mosses are very specific as far as where they will grow....there are
many species of moss and each has fairly ridgid requirements.

So, look around the place to find some moss that you can use.

Put moss and buttermilk (enough to make it moist) in a blender and
whirl it good. Add a tiny bit of Miracle Gro to the mix.
Paint or pour the mixture on your rocks and more moss will grow
shortly.

The trick once you've applied the moss mixture is to keep the area
damp. Try plastic wrap, secured it to the area where the moss mixture
was painted on, with rocks to retain the moisture (and of course
making sure to keep watering the area.)

Old 26-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Philip Lewis

Granny Grump writes:
Put moss and buttermilk (enough to make it moist) in a blender and

the buttermilk/yoghurt advice is what i've also read...

whirl it good. Add a tiny bit of Miracle Gro to the mix.

Miracid might be better... mosses tend to like acid enviroments...
if you want a little extra "sticking" and water retention power, add
some clay to the mix.

of course.. all this is mostly from what i've read... never actually
tried it.

good luck.

--
be safe.
flip

Old 27-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Dave and Miss

Thanks for the info....gonna give it a try. Might have to buy the wife a new
blender though. ;-)
"Philip Lewis" wrote in message
du...

Old 27-07-2004, 03:41 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

If you can find a moss growing near your home on rocks with similar
moisture, go for that! If you can't, there may be a good reason for it!
The moss is willing . The environment may be weak. Moss spores are probably
in the atmosphere where you are. Your painting, etc, can only speed up the
process.

Good luck.

Jim
Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 27-07-2004, 05:36 AM
Philip Lewis

"Dave and Miss" writes:
gonna give it a try. Might have to buy the wife a new blender

My grandma always said "you eat a ton of dirt before you die"
(she might still say it yet today to my cousins/nephew who are still
in the dirt eating age. having outgrown that (mostly) she doesn't say
it to me much these days.

If you're really worried about it (or don't think you can get away
with it), go to some second-hand store and pick up a blender/food
processor for "garden" or "other" use. (mix some bath salts, etc...)

Old 27-07-2004, 07:29 AM
chagoi

Dave and Miss wrote:
Does anyone out there know an effective technique for growing moss on rocks
around the waterfall. I'm going for the natural look and would like to make
them look like they've been there forever. Thanks.....Dave
http://photos.yahoo.com/jeepin9557

I have not tried the yogart method, seem like that would only work well
on damp rocks not ones in any type of moving water.

My proven method to grow moss on rocks is to:

1. Find a sizable patch of moss.
2. Get the biggest most flexable cheapist "GINSU" type knife.
3. slice the moss loose from the ground leaving about 3/4 -1" of soil
around the roots of the moss.
4. Place the section of moss "upside down in a mess type basket
(plastic plant container from the HD or nursery at hold 8 of the 6
pack containers of plants)
5. Using the jet stream position on the garden hose nozzle. Gently wash
most of the soil from the roots of the moss.
6. you should be left with a mat of moss with partially exposed roots
7. place the moss mat on the rocks and secure them with small rocks, if
the water flow is fast.
8. in a week or two they will start to attach themselves to the rocks,
you then can remove any of the rocks you don't want. and the moww
should stay in place

I have used this methode fot the last 2 years. The moss grows extremely
fast. I placed 3 empty trapdoor snail shells on a ledge of my WaterWall
and in 4 days the moss attached itself to the shells enough that I could
not remove the shells without tearing the moss.

http://ourkoipond.com/
This picture is of the WaterWall of the 100 gallon pond 3 weeks after I
installed the pond Last Year 2003.

http://ourkoipond.com/PondPics2.htm
show the pond several weeks later 2003

http://ourkoipond.com/061704.htm
pictures as of 6/17/2004

I will try to take a few pictures tomorrow of the pond as the moss
coverage has increased dramatically in the last month.

Also of the "Great Stuff" Waterfalls with partially attached moss.

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

Old 27-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Chagoi,

I went to your pond site. Wonderful pics. Big project to remove the
stream! What led you to it?