Old 27-07-2004, 05:36 AM
Nathan A. Smith

Default Feeding Koi

Hi again,

2nd question....

I would like the groups thoughts on feeding koi. It seems there are
many ideas about it.

I have read on the "web of misinformation" that people have successfully
kept koi (and goldfish) in outdoor ponds -- and never feed them, leaving
them to mother nature.

I have had salesmen totally freak at the idea of not feeding goldfish --
which most websites say can (and some say should) be done.

I have read that koi need to be feed from multiple times a day to not
at all -- depending on the water tempature.

So what does the group think?

Nasa
Old 27-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Nathan A. Smith" wrote in message
news snip
I would like the groups thoughts on feeding koi. It seems there are
many ideas about it.

I have read on the "web of misinformation" that people have successfully
kept koi (and goldfish) in outdoor ponds -- and never feed them, leaving
them to mother nature.

I have had salesmen totally freak at the idea of not feeding goldfish --
which most websites say can (and some say should) be done.

I have read that koi need to be feed from multiple times a day to not
at all -- depending on the water tempature.

So what does the group think?

snip

Last year, I bought a box of Koi sticks and tossed some in now and then when
friends and family wanted to see the fish. Other then that, we never feed
them. This year they got the end of that original box, until the dog got her
head stuck in it, and decided to eat the rest of it. Anyway, we haven't fed
them since April'ish and they continue to grow and be healthy.

My 2.

BV.

Old 27-07-2004, 03:57 PM
grubber

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

[...]

Likewise. I rarely feed the fish, and then only for my own amusement. A 6"
koi that I put in the pond in January was 14" in June when the water got so
clear it couldn't hide anymore. We did have a constant crop of toad
tadpoles sharing the pea soup, so there was plenty of meat and greens
available.

OTOH, if you have an ultra-clear, ultra-filtered, ultra-sterile pond with no
plants and UV killing the algae, you probably need to feed.

Old 27-07-2004, 11:03 PM
RichToyBox

Size and number of fish are controlling factors here. A small number of
fish, or small fish, will find plenty of good bugs in the algae sweater of
the pond, snails, veggies, and the like. As you get more fish, and larger
fish, the pond gets smaller and the availability of the natural goodies is
not enough to go around and then the fish need to be fed supplemental foods.
I feed mine 3 or 4 times a day during the heat of the summer, and since I
heat to about 70 degrees all winter, I feed twice a day during the winter.
I have in my larger pond around 25 fish at any given time with an average
length of about 24 inches and a total weight of fish approaching 250 to 300
pounds. They would not survive without supplemental feeding.
--
RichToyBox

Old 28-07-2004, 05:15 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

We have nine koi and perhaps 6 goldfish. They would not make it without
food. They are thriving now at 20+ inches and 6 years. We use
catfish/trout food for them...they are carp, after all. Some knock the
food, but it is very cheap ($11/50# bag) and nutritious. Our game biologist
sees no problem with it. We just can't see feeding $3.95 koi food that
costs more per month than they did! Some have suggested that the catfish
food was for early growth and would shorten their life by as much as 20%.
On a lifespan of 50-200 years, that is not too big a deal...especially since
I am almost 60...(ummmm make that 39 and holding). The archives will have a
lot of info for you about koi food. Whatever you do, enjoy them.

Site below shows you them a year and two ago.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 28-07-2004, 05:15 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message
Last year, I bought a box of Koi sticks and tossed some in now and then

when
friends and family wanted to see the fish. Other then that, we never feed
them. This year they got the end of that original box, until the dog got

her
head stuck in it, and decided to eat the rest of it. Anyway, we haven't

fed
them since April'ish and they continue to grow and be healthy.

=============================
But how large is your pond and how many koi are in it? A few koi in a large
pond is one thing - a smaller pond with a lot of fish is quite another.
--
Carol....
"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most

Old 28-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Nathan A. Smith

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:34:47 +0000, RichToyBox wrote:

Size and number of fish are controlling factors here. A small number of
fish, or small fish, will find plenty of good bugs in the algae sweater of
the pond, snails, veggies, and the like. As you get more fish, and larger
fish, the pond gets smaller and the availability of the natural goodies is
not enough to go around and then the fish need to be fed supplemental foods.
I feed mine 3 or 4 times a day during the heat of the summer, and since I
heat to about 70 degrees all winter, I feed twice a day during the winter.
I have in my larger pond around 25 fish at any given time with an average
length of about 24 inches and a total weight of fish approaching 250 to 300
pounds. They would not survive without supplemental feeding.

Ok,

This all makes sense -- However, how do you know when the fish can
survive on just the pond and when they need to be feed. My pond for
example has 7 goldfish, 2 Koi, a couple mosquito eaters, and 6 guppies.
My pond is somewhere between 700 - 900 Gallons. It has a water lilly,
anachris, and hyacinth. And all the fish are under 5".

Nasa

Old 28-07-2004, 07:52 PM
RichToyBox

I think a good indicator would be when all the anacharis is gone. Of course
koi love anacharis and that might not be very long. Koi are omnivores and
love good veggies, probably more so than goldfish. If they are being under
fed, they should stop growing and start to look emaciated.
--
RichToyBox

Old 30-07-2004, 08:27 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

In this order, first the plants will disappear, then the guppies & mosquito
eaters. as soon as the koi are big enough to eat them... even though they
normally would not eat them, but if they're hungry enough they will. Now
you have 7 goldfish & 2 koi, this is assuming their immune systems are in
really good shape, spawning will produce no babies as every egg and baby
will be eaten. ~ jan

Old 30-07-2004, 08:27 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

In this order, first the plants will disappear, then the guppies & mosquito
eaters. as soon as the koi are big enough to eat them... even though they
normally would not eat them, but if they're hungry enough they will. Now
you have 7 goldfish & 2 koi, this is assuming their immune systems are in
really good shape, spawning will produce no babies as every egg and baby
will be eaten. ~ jan

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 05:33:26 -0600, "Nathan A. Smith" wrote:

Ok,

This all makes sense -- However, how do you know when the fish can
survive on just the pond and when they need to be feed. My pond for
example has 7 goldfish, 2 Koi, a couple mosquito eaters, and 6 guppies.
My pond is somewhere between 700 - 900 Gallons. It has a water lilly,
anachris, and hyacinth. And all the fish are under 5".

Nasa

Koi Food - what are you feeding your koi? W Dale[_2_] Ponds (moderated) 9 04-06-2008 12:19 AM
Feeding Koi Nathan A. Smith Ponds 0 27-07-2004 04:12 AM
Koi feeding question Michael Shaffer Ponds 6 06-05-2004 02:03 AM
feeding koi *muffin* Ponds 3 03-08-2003 05:02 PM
Feeding Koi Phil Ponds 3 28-04-2003 06:20 PM