Old 29-07-2004, 03:15 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Mystery Creature in Maryland and it's not BV

"AngieB" wrote in message
snip
So what is this that a rancher in Texas killed?

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...A264-4AC3-8EA4
-9097690CDEFC

Above URL tiny'ed...http://tinyurl.com/6ax3t

It's a chupacabra, http://skepdic.com/chupa.html.

On a side note, I just started watching a mini-series called Dead Like Me, I
think on Show time. They have critters in their show that look just like the
chupa thing. Anyone seen that?

BV.

Old 29-07-2004, 04:29 PM
George

Default OT: Mystery Creature in Maryland and it's not BV

"AngieB" wrote in message
On 7/29/04 8:54 AM, in article , "Benign
Vanilla" wrote:

"Cichlidiot" wrote in message
Ka30P wrote:
Cut and paste to see picture

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3...dpswid=1946268
&dppid=68757

Just found this followup story:

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3558698/detail.html

Saddest part of that is the quote from the wildlife authorities that make
it clear they aren't even going to attempt to help the animal(s) (assuming
it is mange the animal(s) have). Public safety aside, what about the
welfare of the animal(s)? Letting a mangy animal run around is not kind
for the animal and not a good public health thing either for the domestic
animals in the neighborhood. Letting an exotic animal run around isn't
that good either IMO since it's very likely weather changes will be
detrimental for the animal or it will not have the proper dietary
conditions.

I am starting to doubt this story a bit. I've read that people say the
animal is friendly and often comes out during the day. One person reported
even her cat seemed Ok around the animal. If this is such a happy, go lucky,
daylight animal why are all the pictures so ET like? I mean if it's in your
garden eat mato's with the cat, take a freakin' clear picture.

BV.

So what is this that a rancher in Texas killed?
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...A264-4AC3-8EA4
-9097690CDEFC

Weird wild stuff.

If you think that is odd, take a gander at this one:

http://skepdic.com/chupa.html

Don't forget to laugh while you are scratching your head.

Old 29-07-2004, 04:59 PM
George

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"AngieB" wrote in message
snip
So what is this that a rancher in Texas killed?

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...A264-4AC3-8EA4
-9097690CDEFC

Above URL tiny'ed...http://tinyurl.com/6ax3t

It's a chupacabra, http://skepdic.com/chupa.html.

On a side note, I just started watching a mini-series called Dead Like Me, I
think on Show time. They have critters in their show that look just like the
chupa thing. Anyone seen that?

BV.

Oops, I just posted the same link. I should have read your reply first.
Honestly though, it is easy to go overboard with a thing like this. In the
Maryland case, it could just be a small dog who's owner didn't know how to use
clippers, and dumped it to save face with his friends! lol. In the San Antonio
case, it was seen eating Mulberries: Hardly what I would call a viscious eating
habit, despite the ranchers claim that it ate his livestock (how would such a
creature of about 20 lbs weight be able to eat 35 chickens on one day?). If it
does eat meat, then the fact that it also likes mulberries indicates that it is
an omnivore, an opportunistic feeder, not unlike dogs, or even even foxes
(although they are classified as carniverous, foxes will eat just about anything
you give them that they find tasty). I have two mulberry trees, and when they
bear fruit, my dog loves to eat them when they fall to the ground. And in the
Maryland film, we see an apparently docile animal that doesn't look threatening
in any way. It appeared to be rooting for grubs or other insects. If it was
aggresive, or a wild animal,surely it would have confronted the amateur
cameraman in some way, or simply ran away in fear. If it is wild, the fact that
it has been eating cat food off of a porch indicates that it is probably
habituated to people.

One thing I feel very strongly about, and that is that whatever this animal is,
it didn't come from Apha Centauri, or a CIA lab. As we have seen in the past
three years or so, the CIA just aren't living up to the reputation that some
have assigned to it. And I doubt that many Centauris would have wasted precious
cargo space to let loose a strange animal just to bewilder us humans. :-) It
is a shame that the Maryland Fish and Wildlife folks didn't have more interest
in it to try to figure out what it is. As a result, it will no doubt become
something of a local legend.

Old 29-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Gail Futoran

"Benign Vanilla"
wrote in message ...

"AngieB" wrote in message
snip
So what is this that a rancher in Texas killed?

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...A264-4AC3-8EA4
-9097690CDEFC

I saw that on the news last night. Weird. I'm
guessing it's probably a small coyote with
mange (but what do I know about dog
diseases? nada).

Above URL tiny'ed...http://tinyurl.com/6ax3t

It's a chupacabra, http://skepdic.com/chupa.html.

Yeah, right.

On a side note, I just started watching a mini-series

called Dead Like Me, I
think on Show time. They have critters in their show that

look just like the
chupa thing. Anyone seen that?

You betcha! It's one of the few shows both of
us (me and DH) really enjoy. Shows like Dead
Like Me justify the ridiculous monthly payment
to Dish Network to get Showtime. (It's not just
Dish, of course, but all such providers.)

Gail
in good ol' superstitious Texas
[yeah, I know, people are superstitious
everywhere, it just seems so ... overt ...
here. g]

Old 29-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Cut and paste to see picture
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3...dpswid=1946268
&dppid=68757

Mystery Creature Lurks In Baltimore County

GLYNDON, Md. -- A mystery animal is on the loose in Baltimore County and

not
even the experts can pin down what it is.

snip

OK, this thread just got funnier...

My wife just IM'ed me asking for pictures of the mystery creature. We live
in MD, but not near the original siting. Our neighbor across the street,
just saw what she believes to be the mystery creature run into our yard. So
it appears BV, may be involved in this scandal.

I am telling you, it's the aliens.

BV.

Old 29-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote Our neighbor across the street,
just saw what she believes to be the mystery creature run into our yard.

AK! Either that or one of those rats ate ALL the birdseed!

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 29-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Cichlidiot

Benign Vanilla wrote:

"AngieB" wrote in message
snip
So what is this that a rancher in Texas killed?

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...A264-4AC3-8EA4
-9097690CDEFC

Above URL tiny'ed...http://tinyurl.com/6ax3t

It's a chupacabra, http://skepdic.com/chupa.html.

On a side note, I just started watching a mini-series called Dead Like Me, I
think on Show time. They have critters in their show that look just like the
chupa thing. Anyone seen that?

The chupacabra is not really a good identifier even in mythological sense
because the term seems to be a catch-all phrase for any strange looking
thing that happened to kill some livestock or menance some people. Kinda
like calling it the "boogieman". That being said, let us not discount the
fact that something unknown may be out there. There seems to be a common
belief among modern people that if science hasn't discovered it, it
doesn't exist. This seems to be tied in with the notion that if the native
people describe an animal unknown to science, it must be mythological.
Both are fallacies. Take the coalecanth as an example. Science thought it
extinct until the early 1900s when a western happened to see it amongst
the fishing catch in Africa. The fish had been well known to the natives
for a long while, but "extinct" to science. There was also another case
where the scientist did not believe the native hunters until they brought
him a corpse or hide, but I cannot remember the animal in that case.

In this case, I think the farmer has the right idea. Give the carcass to
scientists to perform DNA and morphological testing. Could just be a
mutant dog (hairlessness pops up randomly here and there in dogs and
cats). Dogs certainly do have a variety of appearances. There's that one
minature dog that resembles a teddy bear that makes all those calendars
and such. That's certainly a wierd looking dog and it's mostly a fur
mutatation.

As for the Maryland animal, I still say for the health of domestic
animals, they should trap it if they think it's mange. Better that than
have it spread the mange mites to lord knows how many cats and dogs since
it is reported to be so friendly to them. I bet vets will see an increased
number of mange cases in the area if the animal is left to roam loose and
it does have mange.

Old 30-07-2004, 02:25 AM
George

Benign Vanilla wrote:

"AngieB" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, I believe that it was first re-discovered off the coast of Madagascar
in the 1938-39 when it was found in the net of a fisherman, It was already dead
by the time a scientist had the opportunity to examine it. It has now been
filmed alive in it's natural environment. A fossil coelecanth was found in
South Indiana a few years ago by a friend of mine. It was over 300 million
years old. Here is an interesting link:

http://www.enn.com/features/1999/12/...ossil_7406.asp

Old 30-07-2004, 05:15 AM
Just Me \Koi\