Old 28-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Ka30P

Default Mystery Creature in Maryland and it's not BV

Cut and paste to see picture
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3...dpswid=1946268
&dppid=68757

Mystery Creature Lurks In Baltimore County

GLYNDON, Md. -- A mystery animal is on the loose in Baltimore County and not
even the experts can pin down what it is.
A Glyndon man found a way to secretly record the beast while it grazed in his
yard. For a while it was just lurking in the woods watching the Wroe family
until the Wroes started watching it.
Jay Wroe: "My truck was parked here, started getting in my truck. I kind of
saw it there where the sunlight is and said what in the world is that?"
Jacob Wroe: "It looked so weird to me. I didn't know what it was."
Wanting to get a better look at the beast stalking his family, Jay Wroe put
technology to work for him.
Jay Wroe: "The next day, I hooked up just portable motion detectors, and put
them down back in the woods there."
The trap worked.
Jay Wroe: "Very bizarre. I went and got my father and cousin and they came and
looked at it and their reactions were pretty much the same -- what in the world
are we looking at?"

More than a month after the first sighting, the creature has become a
neighborhood regular and showing up often.
Kim Carlsen: "It comes to our house. It's been up in the woods for a while and
it comes up through the bottom of our yard and eats our cat food."
Despite the fact it's lurking in these woods and no one knows when or where it
will come out, no one here seems afraid of it.
Jacob Wroe: "I don't know, it doesn't look like it's going to harm anybody."
Even the other neighborhood animals like Bullwinkle the dog next door seem okay
with the beast.
Kim Carlsen: "It's not afraid of the cats and the cats seem to get along with
it fine."
The beast is not shy, and visits most often under bright sun. While no one here
knows what it is, they do have a name for it -- the hyote, a combination of a
hyena and a coyote.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 28-07-2004, 02:04 AM
Granny Grump

What an oddity!
Old 28-07-2004, 03:05 AM
Nedra

It looks like one of those Australian animals... Think it could be a
mutant?

Nedra
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Granny Grump" wrote in message
What an oddity!

Old 28-07-2004, 05:15 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Cut and paste to see picture
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3...dpswid=1946268
&dppid=68757

===============================
It looks like a dog with a severe case of mange. I remember seeing a large
dog years ago in NYC with most of it's coat gone. All it had left was hair
on it's head and a strip along it's back and tail.

--
Carol....
"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most

Old 28-07-2004, 05:15 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Nedra" wrote in message
. net...
It looks like one of those Australian animals... Think it could be a
mutant?

====================
A dingo? Yes. But this animal looks furless or hairless in those areas
that are very smooth.

Old 28-07-2004, 06:02 AM
George

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Cut and paste to see picture
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3...dpswid=1946268
&dppid=68757

Mystery Creature Lurks In Baltimore County

Very strange, indeed. It does kind of look like a hyena, but I agree with
others here that it could be a feral dog, possibly with the mange.

Old 28-07-2004, 01:54 PM
Pond Diver

Hyenas are not related to dogs. And therefore can not have offspring.
Even if they liked each other ... a lot :-P LOL Hyenas are in the
Hyaenidae family and are more closely related to a mongoose than a dog
(Canidae).

Personally, I think its a feral dog with a really bad case of the mange or
some other skin ailment. Its either that or someone's cruel joke. Either
way that poor animal probably won't survive winter. Hell it could even be a
hyena with a really bad hair day. But it isn't a cross for sure.

--
Pond Diver

Old 28-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Cichlidiot

Ka30P wrote:
Cut and paste to see picture
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3...dpswid=1946268
&dppid=68757

Very poor pictures from the article, but I wouldn't discount the
possibility of it being an exotic. With the state of exotic animal
smuggling these days, it's entirely possible that it's an escapee from
some illegal situation. Thus the "owners" would not report it missing (as
a zoo would if an animal went missing from an exhibit). I remember seeing
a story in Florida about some large "mystery monster" that turned out to
be a large reptile (and by large I mean several feet in length) and
several of its smaller friends that escaped from an exotic reptile
importer down the road. That importer was legal, but known to authorities
for having escaped reptiles due to shoddy cages.

I'm sure if they actually got an expert out there, they could figure out
what the animal is quite rapidly. Those pictures are really too poor to do
anything but speculate. Even the mange theory is just that, because you
can't really see the skin well enough to see if it has a skin disorder,
just that a mane is sometimes seen in advanced mange cases. An in person
sighting by an expert would likely clear the matter up quickly. I'm
willing to bet the news station nor the neighborhood authorities have
bothered yet because they don't feel threatened by the animal. Proclaiming
"oddity spotted" gets a lot more attention than "authorities find animal
with severe mange" or "authorities find exotic animal running loose" from
the news perspective anyways.

Old 28-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Cichlidiot

Ka30P wrote:
Cut and paste to see picture
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3...dpswid=1946268
&dppid=68757

Just found this followup story:

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3558698/detail.html

Saddest part of that is the quote from the wildlife authorities that make
it clear they aren't even going to attempt to help the animal(s) (assuming
it is mange the animal(s) have). Public safety aside, what about the
welfare of the animal(s)? Letting a mangy animal run around is not kind
for the animal and not a good public health thing either for the domestic
animals in the neighborhood. Letting an exotic animal run around isn't
that good either IMO since it's very likely weather changes will be
detrimental for the animal or it will not have the proper dietary
conditions.

Old 28-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Robyn Rhudy

I live in MD and saw the video and photos on TV of two sightings, a year
apart, possibly two different animals. But, the local animal experts
agree it's just a poor dog with mange. It does indeed look weird though
(and most of you didn't see the video). Of course, they've come up with
all sorts of weird things that it could be which are ridiculous! The news
only quickly mentioned the experts opinion and then went on to all sorts
of strange things locals thought. I agree the dog should be caught and
treated.

Important Notice! Robyn's web site has moved from
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ to http://www.fishpondinfo.com. This
e-mail as well as the old site (which refers to the new site) will be
deleted on 9/24/04 by UMBC (I have no say in it). After that date,
please use the e-mail of instead of this e-mail.
Please spread the word that my site has moved. Thanks.

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -