Old 30-07-2004, 07:51 AM
Cichlidiot

Default Mystery Creature in Maryland and it's not BV

George wrote:

"Cichlidiot" wrote in message

snip
Both are fallacies. Take the coalecanth as an example. Science thought it
extinct until the early 1900s when a western happened to see it amongst
the fishing catch in Africa. The fish had been well known to the natives
for a long while, but "extinct" to science. There was also another case
where the scientist did not believe the native hunters until they brought
him a corpse or hide, but I cannot remember the animal in that case.

Actually, I believe that it was first re-discovered off the coast of Madagascar
in the 1938-39 when it was found in the net of a fisherman, It was already dead
by the time a scientist had the opportunity to examine it. It has now been
filmed alive in it's natural environment. A fossil coelecanth was found in
South Indiana a few years ago by a friend of mine. It was over 300 million
years old. Here is an interesting link:

http://www.enn.com/features/1999/12/...ossil_7406.asp

That was the event to which I was referring. By "early 1900s" I meant the
first half of that century, not the years 1900-1909. I did not have the
time when I was writing that post to search for the exact dates. The
fishing catch was hauled into a dock in South Africa, although the living
colonies are actually off the coast of the Comoros islands, which lay
between Africa and Madagascar. The following website has a lot of
information about the coelacanths, including dive photos of their natural
habitat:

http://www.dinofish.com
Old 30-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
BV wrote Our neighbor across the street,
just saw what she believes to be the mystery creature run into our yard.

AK! Either that or one of those rats ate ALL the birdseed!

That's my fear, although our...I mean...my friends neighbors rats seem to
have disapeared from the our...I mean...his neighborhood. Anyway, our
neighbor called to say she say a small dog sized animal that was partially
hairless run between my yard and the next door neighbors yard. I am
beginning to wonder if there is a bit of hysteria, or there is some disease
attacking the fox population in MD. We have a family of foxes in our
neighborhood and this year they have not been very noisy or active. I would
not be surprised to find out that they were sick. That would suck.

BV.

Old 30-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
BV,
6 bottles of beer a night maximum!

snip

Thanks for not specifying the size of the bottle

BV.

Old 30-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Darn, you are an attorney at heart!

--
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 30-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Darn, you are an attorney at heart!

snip

I object the badger is counseling the witness!!!

BV.