Old 30-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Jason Garner

Default A funny thing happened.....

In my local Fish suppliers :-

I finally brought some fish for my pond, the assistant took me over to a
huge tank of fish and asked me which ones I liked. I had a look and then
said I would like some of the multi coloured Goldfish he said they are
Shubunkins so I pointed to one that had a large stripe down its back "I'll
have that one please" he looked at me with a totally blank look on his face
and said "that's a Goldfish" after that I just picked ones I liked the look
of and didn't bother to ask him what they were.

Problem is I now don't know what I have, Stripe is obviously a Goldfish and
Vader (totally black) has a really long tail so I assume he is a Shubunkin
as for the other five they don't really have any distinguishing features
that I can pick out apart from their different colours and they don't really
look like either of the other two.

Bearing in mind that as soon as I get near the pond they all dive under the
pump to hide from me is there any way I can tell what types of fish I have
from say 4-5 foot away please?

I looked at pictures in books but didn't find that any help.

Many Thanks,
Jay

Old 30-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Bill Stock

"Jason Garner" wrote in message
In my local Fish suppliers :-

I finally brought some fish for my pond, the assistant took me over to a
huge tank of fish and asked me which ones I liked. I had a look and then
said I would like some of the multi coloured Goldfish he said they are
Shubunkins so I pointed to one that had a large stripe down its back "I'll
have that one please" he looked at me with a totally blank look on his

face
and said "that's a Goldfish" after that I just picked ones I liked the

look
of and didn't bother to ask him what they were.

Sounds about as user friendly as the place I go to.

ME: I'd like some fish out of the tabk over there please
LFP: Fine, heres a bag, write the stock # down and bring us back the bag.

Meanwhile there's frigging numbers everywhere and they don't have a queue in
any event. So why the hell don't you just walk over to the tank and get my
fish.

Problem is I now don't know what I have, Stripe is obviously a Goldfish

and
Vader (totally black) has a really long tail so I assume he is a Shubunkin
as for the other five they don't really have any distinguishing features
that I can pick out apart from their different colours and they don't

really
look like either of the other two.

Last year I bought "Lionheads" from Walmart at $4.00 a shot. They all turned
out to be common Goldfish, except for one that has a split tail. This group
bred and two survived, Mutts all.

This year I bought some feeders from said LFP, I think they might be Comets.
Their fins turned black after a couple of weeks in the pond. So I think the
LFP had too much Ammonia in their tank.

Old 30-07-2004, 04:31 AM
matrix j

Vader will probably turn "red" on ya when he gets friendly with the
females.. lol

Mine was named "shadow"....before his transformation.

Old 30-07-2004, 04:55 AM
Newbie Bill

In general yes, although obviously the closer the look the easier. and....
how good is your eyesight? I have tried very slow movements approaching the
opposite side of where they are and just camping out by the edge and trying
not to move much.
This is kinda the run down. First there are the 'pond fish' and then fancy
goldfish. The pondfish will generally have sleaker bodies and swim quicker.
Those a If it is all gold or white and has a short tail fin , like a
game fish, that is a 'common goldfish' aka feeder. The one with the stripe
is probably that. That is a sign it was in bad water and is now recovering.
The black will go away. Longer deeper V shaped, sometimes very flowing tail
and fins that's a comet. Sarasa Comets will be red and white usually about
50/50 though I have seen some with just a little red. They usually will not
have the very long flowing fins that some comets do, (though not always).
And of course none of these three is a purebred fish so it could be part of
two. Shubunkins to me seem to be just a little bit broader and to my
knowledge they are all calicos with some mixture of white, black, blue,
orange, red , but not necessarily all. They will normally be white with at
least two more colors in no particular pattern. Normally the black will be
in the form of spots like an ink splatter. I do have a black and orange
shubunkin which appears black in the pond, but you can defintely see the
mottled effect of the significant orange in it. Maybe possible but my guess
is all black would be a comet - uncommon but I've heard of them. Even if
they had poor service I would think it unlikely they would have fancy
goldfish with pond goldfish so what you have is probably amongst these. So
if they are mostly mixed colors - like modern splash paint art they are
probably shubunkins. Gold or White- Common Goldfish or Comets - Tails the
difference. Red and White-Sarasa Comets. Of course there are koi, but since
they are typically more expensive they probably would have been tanked
seperately.
HTH
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 30-07-2004, 05:00 AM
Newbie Bill

I'm assuming this is all 20/20 hindsight but once you know-the lion heads
should be very easy to identify since they are the only fancy variety with
no dorsal fin (except for the really fancy fancies).
Bill

t.cable.rogers.com...

Old 30-07-2004, 05:00 AM
Charles

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:17:08 GMT, "Jason Garner"
wrote:

[...]

The one with the stripe is probably going through its color change
from black to gold. Really pretty while going through the change,
then they turn completely gold. The clerk should have explained it to
you, maybe thought you already knew.

Shubunkin is a name given to common or long tailed goldfish with a
calico (mixed) coloration. the all black may not be stable, most
times it fades and you get a gold or white fish. Enjoy them anyway.

--

- Charles
-
Old 30-07-2004, 01:13 PM
pixi

My goldfish swim over when ever I get near the pond and hang around just in
front of my feet. If I put a hand in the water they come over and check it
out.

The only time they hide is if a predator or snake has been by.

So your fish will get used to you, I think.

. ..

Old 30-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Bill Stock

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
. ..
I'm assuming this is all 20/20 hindsight but once you know-the lion heads
should be very easy to identify since they are the only fancy variety with
no dorsal fin

Yeah, I was a real newbie Bill at the time, still am really.

(except for the really fancy fancies).

Walmart ---- fancy fancies. LOL

Bill

t.cable.rogers.com...

Old 30-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Newbie Bill

"Charles" wrote in message The one with the stripe is probably going
through its color change
from black to gold. Really pretty while going through the change,
then they turn completely gold. The clerk should have explained it to
you, maybe thought you already knew.

Right - when I was first putting any fish in my pond I was buying the 12/24
cent feeders. On one trip I was very meticulous about asking the clerk to
pick out only ones with black markings. I think I learned of their
impending change before it happened but all did change. It was a minor
dissapointment since it was so distinctive. A couple of months later I
noticed they had a 'No Choice' sign posted. Strangely (to me) I believe
one lost a big black band, turned all gold and then almost overnite turned
white.

Old 30-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Newbie Bill

BTW - I know there are probably plenty o people out there that have
successfully reared 25 cent feeders. Howeva IMHO I think newbies should be
told this is not a good idea because of the stressfull, disease ridden
conditions they are raised in. I have been told this several times since
and DEFINITELY experienced it. I had many problems with disease and remedies
till I finally got my fish stabalized. Yes I know there are admonitions
about always quarantining your new fish, but I suspect some people buying 25
cent fish to start stocking their ponds do not have a tank.
Bill

Old 30-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Bob Koerber

Jason Garner wrote:

[...]

I have a half a dozen or so "Save Me" goldfish that the kids won at the local schools FallFest. After an extended quaranteen period in the Koi pond they went. Most are normal and have gotten quite large about 8 inches but one, my Daughter's fish Taylor almost overnight went from all gold to half gold and half white and then started growing out it's tail and has the longest most beautiful tail I have ever seen on a goldfish almost the length of the remainder of it's body. Ya just never know what your gonna get.

Bob

Old 31-07-2004, 04:40 AM
Newbie Bill

Yes I thought that was amazing and the first I knew of it. Frankly thought
I may have been mistaken, but mine did the same. As you say Orange one day,
faded the next, white the next. I dont think mine is growing to get your
marvelous tail, but it is a comet and not a common.
Bill