Old 04-08-2004, 03:47 AM
~ Windsong ~

Default KOI feed

"Roy" wrote in message
Been experimenting on various brands and types of feed, with my GF &
Koi as I am going broke paying their food bill. Now that they are up
to a decent size I was considering buying catfish food. ABout $10.00 a
50# bag as compared to 13.00 for a 1 1/4 lb bag of Tetra Pond sticks
and such. Cheapest regular Loi food I found so far is Kaybee Koi
Food.....which is not all that expensive but its still a 10# bag for
about $16.00

Anyone else feed Koi and GF catfish food?

===========================
Yes! And they're thriving and breeding like rabbits. I've been using
catfish food from "Tractor Supply" for 3 years now. But as a treat they
also get cheap canned peas, duckweed occasionally, earthworms when I find
them and dog and cat food. These other treats are given only about once a
week. I see no need to pay the RIP-OFF prices they charge for Koi and
goldfish foods these days.

Can't help you with the other questions....
--
Carol....
~~~~~~{@

Old 04-08-2004, 11:07 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Roy" wrote in message
Which bringsup another item. I was initially given this fish net, and
would like to construct a newer slightly larger enclosure beyond the
one I have now, and then remove my old enclosure, so does anyone have
a source fo 1/2" sq fish netting at a good price?

-----------------------------------
If you're talking about netting to protect your fish - not catch them - try
Ace Hardware. Best prices and several sizes. That's what we use to cover
our ponds. We get the 1/2" black bird netting. Keeps everything out.
--
Carol....
"Does killing time damage eternity?"

Old 05-08-2004, 01:14 AM
Pat Keith

I have been feeding cat food for years. I grind it in a coffee grinder for
small fish.

Old 05-08-2004, 01:34 AM
Roy

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:07:17 -0500, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

===
et...
===-----------------------------------
===If you're talking about netting to protect your fish - not catch them - try
===Ace Hardware. Best prices and several sizes. That's what we use to cover
===our ponds. We get the 1/2" black bird netting. Keeps everything out.

I was referring to the netting to make sides of an encloosure, not
keep birds etc out of the pond. I don;t have a bird predator problem
or much of anythng else that my dogs do not take care of or the fake
gators in the pond scare away.

I ordered some diamond mesh netting today from Memphis Net & Twine.
American made, UV resistant, and heavy duty, with 1/2" mesh size..
Looked at over 2 dozen sites with this stuff and Memphis Net was
cheapest by far. Today I finished up making my framework and digging
it in the pond bottom, now all I need is the netting (hopefully
Friday) and I can finish it. Overall size is 16 x 24 feet x 5 feet
with approx 10" out of the water (at high water level) to aid in
keeping the fish in / out when they jump. Main frame is 1 1/2" sch 40
PVC with ther support posts 1 1/4" Sch 40 PVC.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:02 AM
Paul in Redland

I've been using Ultra Balance for several years now and love it ( so do the
fish ). Reasonably priced, high quality, and comes in 5, 20 or 50 lb bags.
Look he
http://www.koifood.com/index2.htm

Paul

Old 06-08-2004, 10:07 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Pat Keith" wrote in message
Netting is fairly easy to create from some string.

=====================
If your pond is only 12" by 12" :-)
--
Carol....
"Why is the 3rd hand on a watch called a second hand?"

Old 06-08-2004, 10:21 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
We are in the catfish food group. It is now 6 years that they have had

only
catfish food. Koi and goldfish are thriving. Wallet too.

=============================
I see no reason to justify the outrageous rip-off prices charged for koi
feeds. You would think they added gold-dust to the feed. The cheapest
decent quality koi food in my area is $15.00 for a 3 lb. bag of Ichaban.
It's one of the products I used BEFORE I switched to catfish food. With the
number of koi I now have I would have gone broke feeding them food that
expensive as a basic diet. I saw how great other people's koi and goldfish
were doing on it, and switched.

I still do buy the "small" size Ichaban for the small goldfish and koi. One
3 lb. bag lasts 2 years for these little guys.

Old 08-08-2004, 03:29 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Pat Keith" wrote in message
I have been feeding cat food for years. I grind it in a coffee grinder

for
small fish.

They really like puppy food too. :-) My koi and some of the older goldfish
gobble up the small "kibbles" without the need to grind them.
--
Carol....
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend