Old 03-08-2004, 02:49 PM
chagoi

Default How to winter over plants?

WilsonKKW wrote:

I have Hyancth(sp?)parrot feather, water lily.,lily pads.How do they winter
over? I was told the hyancth will die off,I was wondering if I can bring them
indoors and let them live in a bucket of water?
Kathy

WH will go from a vibrant healthy green, to a ugly mushy brown very
quickly when brought inside. That is unless you put them in a room with
a least a 1000W Metal Halide lamp over them, but then the cost of
running that light 8 - 10 hours a day for 3 - 4 months (at .11 cents a
KWH) will dwarf the cost of buying new plants the next spring.
..11/KWH X 8 hrs X 90-120 days = $80.00 - $120.00

Not to mention the cost of the fixture and bulb @$200.00.

$280.00 - $320.00 ? for a few "invasive weeds" My wallet says OUCH!!!

6 new WH (even at my LFS price of $3.50 ea. = $21.00
--
/\/\ike
Chagoi
Old 03-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Happy'Cam'per

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
I have Hyancth(sp?)parrot feather, water lily.,lily pads.How do they

winter
over? I was told the hyancth will die off,I was wondering if I can bring

them
indoors and let them live in a bucket of water?
Kathy

Hi Kathy
I would think it fine for them to survive in a bucket of water, no worries.
Would it not just be cheaper and easier to let them pass away and buy/swop
new plants in the springtime?
If you wanted to you could also add a small desk lamp over the bucket, this
will keep them 'barely' alive until spring. Possibly doing small water
changes weekly with old water from the pond, just to keep the nutrients up.
Good luck.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 04-08-2004, 03:53 AM
~ Windsong ~

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
I have Hyancth(sp?)parrot feather, water lily.,lily pads.How do they

winter
over? I was told the hyancth will die off,I was wondering if I can bring

them
indoors and let them live in a bucket of water?
Kathy

==================
I successfully keep over water lettuce in a 10 gallon tank with a 40w bulb
on 8 to 10 hours a day. They need a weak fertilizer several times a month
to stay healthy. The WH have lived over in a very bright sunny window and
also need fertilizer a few times a month. Change their water weekly to keep
it from stagnating.
--
Carol....
"They laugh because I'm different, I laugh because they're all the same."

Old 04-08-2004, 03:59 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
I would think it fine for them to survive in a bucket of water, no

worries.
Would it not just be cheaper and easier to let them pass away and buy/swop
new plants in the springtime?

================================
I don't like the idea of replacing the WL and WH every year as there is
always the chance of bringing in some new disease....
--
Carol....
"How come wrong numbers are never busy?"

Old 06-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Karen

In article 9jtQc.213204$IQ4.192594@attbi_s02, "Mike Miller"
writes:

I have had no problems keeping WH alive over the winter in a dishpan of
water, fluorescent lamps, cool basement, no big deal. Not all survive, but
most do.

what zone are you in and what type of fluorescent do you use?

Karen------ who hates paying almost $100 for 20 scrawney plants in spring!
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 17-08-2004, 02:20 AM
Mike Miller

Sorry for the delay here. I'm in z5, and use ordinary fluorescent lights
(4' "shop" lights) over the pond plants, although the basement is fairly
cool.