Old 08-08-2004, 01:42 AM
Roy

Default ID aquatic plants please and a questin or two

What are those real tiny floating leaves you usually see floatin gon
and arund aquatic plants in gadren centers. Its like a light green
single or tiny double leaf abaout 1/8 inch in diam....and has a hair
like root Usually you see the water full of it. They may have a pair
of leaves now that I think of it.

Also what are those small tiney plants that has three clusters of
leaves of three on each floating plant, and these also ave extremely
small but a darker green. One garden center sells ther single leaf
floating plants by the teaspoonful, while the other garden center says
to skim off all you want and get it out of here as its a pest, but the
fellow cold not remember what the name of these plants were.

How do you propagate sensitive vine. I assume its possible to just
cut a piece and it will float and grow due to its hanging root system
and it being a floater........how does it winter over in the lower
south area, my pond has never ever had ice on it and rarely get a
frost. but temp does dip into low 30's or upper 20's on occassion.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 08-08-2004, 02:22 AM
RichToyBox

The single leaf plant with the hair root is probably duckweed and koi love
it. I grow some in a stock tank to feed to the fish in the quarantine tank.
The three leaf plant if about the same size is probably salvinia or azolla,
though they don't match the leaf pattern you describe. Nothing eats the
azolla and I am not familiar with the salvinia. One site that I visited
for the azolla and salvinia described the use of salvinia as the only filter
in a turtle aquarium and the water stayed clear, clean with no clouding or
odor.

--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

Old 08-08-2004, 05:11 PM
GD

Duckweeds (Lemna sp) exhibit light green leaves (fronds) in clusters
of one or more. Each frond sports a single root.

Duckmeats (Spirodela sp) exhibit darker green fronds (which are
usually reddish below) in clusters of one or more. Each frond sports
multiple roots.

There are several species of each.

(Roy) wrote:

[...]

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com

Old 09-08-2004, 03:15 AM
Roy

Default Got them ID'd bought a book....was ID aquatic plants please and a questin or two

They turned out to be duckweek and azolla.......

So now what do I do with the stuff.Use it or not. Some places on the
web and books say fish love it, others say not to use it as it
multiples too quick.......

whats my options ?
Old 09-08-2004, 07:47 AM
zookeeper

Our koi will not eat the azolla, but they love the duckweed. Can't remember,
but you have a "lake" pond don't you? In that case, I think I would keep the
duckweed in a barrel, bucket, etc. and feed by handfuls to the koi in a
feeding hoop (join ends of tubing so it's watertight and float duckweed,
food, etc. in center.) I don't think I would introduce azolla to a large
lake pond. Just me.
We had problems with the roots from the azolla causing a lot of extra pond
bottom garbage, so we were glad to see the ice kill it one winter.
--
zookeeper
Oregon, USDA Zone 7