Old 11-08-2004, 05:50 AM
Ka30P

Default Aquatic plant clearance at Lowes

Jay wrote They are viviparous

I have my first tropical this year (jan knows which one - it's purple!).
It grew a baby lily on a pad and then it popped off and there it is, floating
around, an itty bitty lily! Many of the other pads are developing the same
babies. A new fun twist for a ponder who thought she'd been *all* the way
around the block

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 11-08-2004, 06:02 AM
Go Fig

In article , Karen
wrote:

Jay
Some lillies are very prolific others and not quite so busy. Charlene Strawn
blooms continously, but it's a simple flower, while my Gonnere Snowball is a
more complex bloom and doesn't bloom as regularly as Charlene, but it gives me
2 or 3 flowers a week.

I have recommend this specific lily here... it is a good bloomer for a
hardy. But if you put this next to Crystal or Innocence it will be
like the Gonnere wasn't even there. Additionally, both of these
Tropicals will stay open longer during each day and have longer
flowering season.

And as Carol said, cutting size makes a difference in how long it takes to
bloom. This spring I took 11 cuttings off a lily I bot last fall that needed
repotting then. The larger cuttings have already bloomed,

And this is the 8 blooms I referred to, an entire year and maybe 8
blooms... that's if you get a good cutting... not likely at Walmart or
most net suppliers.

So for $5 you get a 'lily' with good chance that it is rotten and if
not, you'll get few if any flowers the 1st year and by next year you'll
be trying to keep it in its container....

jay
Tue Aug 10, 2004

while the smaller
ones have put up many pads, but no blooms yet this year, next year they'll be
ready.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 11-08-2004, 06:27 AM
Go Fig

In article , Ka30P
wrote:

Jay wrote They are viviparous

I have my first tropical this year (jan knows which one - it's purple!).
It grew a baby lily on a pad and then it popped off and there it is, floating
around, an itty bitty lily! Many of the other pads are developing the same
babies. A new fun twist for a ponder who thought she'd been *all* the way
around the block

I still have trouble throwing these autonomous living creatures on the
compost pile... but there is only so much space.

I have a friend who is positioning his retirement to grow lilies for
sale, I would like to do that too... I'm with Monet and lilies.

jay
Tue Aug 10, 2004

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 11-08-2004, 06:57 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Ka30P wrote:

Jay wrote They are viviparous

I have my first tropical this year (jan knows which one - it's purple!).

K30 got Panama Pacific, I got Pamela (blue) and Trudy Slocum (white). Ever
since Pamela started blooming, it has been a rare day that there isn't a
bloom (or 2) open. One thing not mentioned is the fragrance they give off,
wonderful, granted you have to get your nose pretty close (at least in a
hot dry climate) but still wonderful. I'm Zone 7 and put in my Lilypond
specifically for tropical lilies, almost mid-August and I've patiently
waited for Red Flare and this new one Trudy to finally get buds up to the
surface, but I know in the end the wait will be worth it.

I keep my T.Lilies inside in a small heated pond over winter, but I'm going
to experiment with a baby T.lily I took off the red flare and is growing
well in the pond. Supposedly one person in our club took theirs out last
winter and put them in garbage bags (still potted) and stored them in the
garage. Come spring he put them out and they prospered. I need to get the
full story from him, but I plan to try his way with that extra red flare.
The only downside with tropicals is they need to be fed almost as much as a
lotus. As far as price, this is the place we ordered from:
http://gardenponds.com/tropicallilies01.htm all T.lilies $14. Going
together (3 friends) kept the shipping down and our lilies cost us less
than $20/each. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 11-08-2004, 07:12 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message

When I buy a citrus tree, I shop for the exact species, the same

for
gardenias, azaleas and the same goes for lilies for me.

$4.50 is real cheap, but if you get 8 flowers all season, thats a

high
cost per flower.

$$ If I got only 8 flowers per season I would blame myself - not

the
lily.
They bloom like crazy if they're in the sun and fertilized

regularly.

Which lily ?

## What do you mean which lily? They all bloom all summer, as long as
they're in a very sunny place.

The species ?

$$ What species? All the box gives is the name of water lily. Why would
anyone care about species unless they were going to start hybridizing or
breeding them.

$$ Your climate may be too HOT for hardy lilies. Some people,

including
myself, have no interest in tropicals that need constant

replacement.

Why would Tropicals need to be replaced constantly ?

## Because in zone 6 they DIE! Not everyone lives in a tropical or
semi-tropical area.

I know people that keep them in their basement in NH.

$$ I'm sure the lily loved the cold dark basement. :-) I leave my
hardies right were they are year round. I don't have a basement. I have a
crawl space under my house. Many houses don't even have that. They're on
slabs.

I can grow hardy lilies with no problem.

## But you claim they don't bloom for you.

No I didn't!! I said they don't compare to tropicals. I have shown
pictures to the group of Hardy lilies... with the exact name too. I
further have suggested specific species of hardy lilies to grow to the
group.

$$ Then what are you trying to say? If you're just pushing tropicals ok, if
not, then what?

Setting aside the mottled leaf that tropicals can have, the ease of
care and often viviparous reproduction... you get many more flowers
from tropicals and at the end of the season.

$$ And then what? You have to have a heated, well lit basement full of tubs
or tanks to winter them over.....

My
hardies last for years if divided every year.

And if you don't spend this time, you will get little to no flowers.

## That depends on the lily. Some need repotting every 2 years.

I guess a hardy could be repotted every two years... if you plant it
originally in a foot locker.

$$ Or use roomy pots to start with. Sure seems like less work then going
the "basement" routine with tropicals. And not everyone has a basement.

Many even grow out of their pots during the growing season, and once
that happens... bloom production falls off fast.

## I only had this happen with the large yellow lilies. Most need
repotting once a year - in spring.

But it happens a lot for the average ponder.

$$ So? Is it any more work repotting a hardy every spring then going the
"basement" routine with tropicals? Even if I had a basement I can't imagine
it full of water tanks and full spectrum lights. Seems like a lot more work
and expense than repotting the hardies once a year. I'm sure the tropicals
like a yearly repotting and some fertilizer Tabs as well.

I still have the original
yellows (they all had names which I have long since forgotten) which

blooms
from mid spring to frost. :-)

Could be Joey Tomocik

$$ No, that's not the name.

I doubt there is a profession reference that would conclude hardy
lilies are better bloomers than tropicals, in fact, they all say just
the opposite.

## I didn't say hardies are BETTER bloomers than tropical. I said many
people don't want the expense of replacing tropicals every spring. I

know I
don't, and they don't survive here in TN over the winter.

That works for you, but not for all. I buy from a HUGE Aquatic
Nursery... it is just as easy and even cheaper for me to pick up a
Hardy vs. a Tropical... but that would not generally be good financial
reasoning.

$$ If they live over for you then they're worth buying once.

In April I bought 4 of Carla's Sunshine and Innocence, the most
expensive lilies on the market. They are viviparous, I have more than
20 plants now flowering profusely... not a bad return on investment...
impossible with a hardy, I doubt I will ever but these again.

$$ As I said, if they live over for you, then they're worth the investment.
They don't live over in the northern part of the country and so aren't a
good investment for us in the lower zones.

I'll post a pic of what I mean later.

--
Carol....
"Two can live as cheaply as one, for half as long."

Old 11-08-2004, 07:12 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

Old 11-08-2004, 07:20 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , ~ Windsong ~
That depends on the SIZE of the cutting in the package. These were a

nice
size! :-) *Small* cutting/separations I make myself usually do not

bloom
well, or only have a few blooms in late summer their first year. Some

have
surprised us

Yes, like I said... it is rare to get good production of blooms from
Hardy lilies in the first year.

and bloomed well after a few weeks of independent life in the
pond. Even small cutting of this Yellow variety bloom well their first
year.

There must be only like 15+ yellow hardy lilies.

## At least. ;-) The names mean nothing to me since I don't breed or sell
them. I give them away or compost them.

Do you buy your trees and shrubs the same way... a 'yellow one'.

## Since I'm not out to impress anyone - yes. If it's a nice shrub and it
fits the spot I have for it, and it's hardy where I live - I will buy it.
Who cares what it's name is? I live on over an acre of mostly landscaped
property. There are more plants than I can remember the names of. And
since almost no one around here would know the names of water lilies,
shrubs, trees, perennials etc. why keep written lists of what I have?

It
makes it hard to discuss the subject with any specificity... you don't
talk about pumps in the same generic terms do you ?

## That depends on the "talk."

Old 11-08-2004, 07:37 AM
~ Windsong ~

Default Aquatic plant - their names

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , Karen

So for $5 you get a 'lily' with good chance that it is rotten and if
not, you'll get few if any flowers the 1st year and by next year you'll
be trying to keep it in its container....

==========================
Since you obviously don't like the hardy lilies then I'm sure you wont
"bother" with them. Most of us don't mind repotting our hardies once a
year. It's a lot less work then pulling them up in the fall and trying to
keep alive them over the winter. Then replacing them, after a repotting,
back in the ponds in the spring. I pull mine up in the spring and seperate
them then. Extras are given away and a large cutting repotted to keep.
That's it! I stick a broken Rose Spike in the soil a few times over the
summer.

As for the $4.88 water lilies from Wal-Mart. The bags are such that you can
open the box which the store allows and EXAMINE the lily as I did. Inside
the box was the lily cutting in some kind of damp fiber. All had small
healthy looking leaves and all lived and thrived. Four are blooming,
including the red one I dropped and broke half it's leaves and buds off 2
weeks ago (we cleaned the pond). WW will take them back if they're dead or
they die. I found the old boxes they came in. The names a

Sioux (Nymphea) this is a mini of some kind. The color changes day by day.
Fabiola Pink - pink
Red Attraction - red
Alba White - a nice medium sized white snowball like flower.
James Brydon - red

Old 11-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Go Fig

In article , ~ jan
JJsPond.us wrote:

Ka30P wrote:

Jay wrote They are viviparous

I have my first tropical this year (jan knows which one - it's purple!).

K30 got Panama Pacific, I got Pamela (blue) and Trudy Slocum (white). Ever
since Pamela started blooming, it has been a rare day that there isn't a
bloom (or 2) open. One thing not mentioned is the fragrance they give off,
wonderful, granted you have to get your nose pretty close (at least in a
hot dry climate) but still wonderful. I'm Zone 7 and put in my Lilypond
specifically for tropical lilies, almost mid-August and I've patiently
waited for Red Flare and this new one Trudy to finally get buds up to the
surface, but I know in the end the wait will be worth it.

They are worth it, but they are night bloomers and they need warmer
water to be really productive.

Panama has always been a favorite of mine... very long flowering season.

jay
Wed Aug 11, 2004

Old 11-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Go Fig

In article , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message

[...]

So you could replace it if it dies?

[...]

You don't get my point ? Tropicals can be a far better investment.

Clear enough ?

Setting aside the mottled leaf that tropicals can have, the ease of
care and often viviparous reproduction... you get many more flowers
from tropicals and at the end of the season.

$$ And then what? You have to have a heated, well lit basement full of tubs
or tanks to winter them over.....

They are stored there, you're not trying to grow them.

[...]

Again, they are being stored.

[...]

Guess that depends on the desired effect, surely people in your area
buy annuals for their yards... are petunias a bad investment ?

Have you ever grown any tropical lily to be able to speak from
experience ?

jay
Wed Aug 11, 2004

I'll post a pic of what I mean later.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:49 AM
~ Windsong ~

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
I keep my T.Lilies inside in a small heated pond over winter, but I'm

going
to experiment with a baby T.lily I took off the red flare and is growing
well in the pond. Supposedly one person in our club took theirs out last
winter and put them in garbage bags (still potted) and stored them in the
garage. Come spring he put them out and they prospered. I need to get the
full story from him, but I plan to try his way with that extra red flare.
The only downside with tropicals is they need to be fed almost as much as

lotus. As far as price, this is the place we ordered from:
http://gardenponds.com/tropicallilies01.htm all T.lilies $14. Going
together (3 friends) kept the shipping down and our lilies cost us less
than $20/each. ~ jan

==============================
Keeping them alive over the winter is what discouraged me from trying the T
lilies. I have no basement and the garage and outbuilding are not heated
although both have electricity/lights. Anything out there will freeze. The
H lilies spend the winter right in the ponds and kiddy pools. My sunroom is
packed in winter - there's simply no more room in there for more plants. I
don't know where I'll keep my Taros over the winter. :-(
--
Carol.... the Frugal Ponder
"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
"They laugh because I'm different, I laugh because they're all the same."
http://www.heartoftn.net/users/windsong/index.html

Watering cone set clearance TOM KAN PA Gardening 0 10-08-2004 08:26 PM
Garden clearance question Martin G Bridges United Kingdom 6 27-05-2003 11:08 PM
B&S valve clearance Johnny Lawns 10 24-04-2003 04:20 PM
Clearance sale at Fork & Spade! Kim Roses 0 23-04-2003 01:32 PM
Newbie - Allotment clearance Sam United Kingdom 3 27-10-2002 05:49 PM