Old 09-08-2004, 03:44 AM
Roy

Default Aquatic plant clearance at Lowes

They have miniature water lillys that regularly sold for $1195 listed
at $4.50. Regular sized lillies listed at 9.95 now 3.50 and the
horsetail and other assorted marginals are 2.10. These are the ones
that come prepackaged in a plastic container with a plant basket etc
inside the plastic container (basically the bubs) not a bad deal if
your local Lowes has them in stock yet and have them discounted)
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:57 AM
chagoi

CHECK THEM OUT CLOSELY. Many of them are *"! DEAD !"*
Look at the crowns sticking out of the pot. Bend slightly If it is brown
and brittle it is most likely DEAD. I go through them and look for stems
that show some signs of green or are brown, but firm, not squishy or
brittle. I went through the ones at my local HD and found that 90% of
them were dead.

I bought some mini cattails that never sprouted.
I yous lowes or HD is like all the ones around me they only waterered
them 6-8 weeks after they were 1st put on display. God forbid they get
the box wet and water spotted. I'd rather buy a growing plant in a
water-spotted, faded, falling apart cardboard box than a dead one in a
pristine box. After all aren't we purchasing them for the purpose of
growing them?

Last I checked my name wasn't Gomez Addams! And *Not* married to the
Queen of the Rose Thorns"

--
/\/\ike
Chagoi

Old 10-08-2004, 02:34 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Go Fig" wrote in message

When I buy a citrus tree, I shop for the exact species, the same for
gardenias, azaleas and the same goes for lilies for me.

$4.50 is real cheap, but if you get 8 flowers all season, thats a high
cost per flower.

$$ If I got only 8 flowers per season I would blame myself - not the lily.
They bloom like crazy if they're in the sun and fertilized regularly. I
use Rose Spikes problem into thirds and a clay soil under 2" of pea gravel.
The little mini from Wally-World has no less than 2 flowers all the time.
Sometimes it has 3 open blooms at the same time for example. The red lily
has been blooming since mid June. It usually has one or two flowers, skips
a few days and has several more.....

I can luckily grow Tropicals where I live, and I will
get maybe 10x+ the flowers that a hardy will produce... if flowers are
your goal... a little more $$ upfront may be well worth the investment.

$$ Your climate may be too HOT for hardy lilies. Some people, including
myself, have no interest in tropicals that need constant replacement. My
hardies last for years if divided every year. I still have the original
yellows (they all had names which I have long since forgotten) which blooms
from mid spring to frost. :-)
--
Carol....
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend

Old 10-08-2004, 04:09 AM
Go Fig

In article , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message

When I buy a citrus tree, I shop for the exact species, the same for
gardenias, azaleas and the same goes for lilies for me.

$4.50 is real cheap, but if you get 8 flowers all season, thats a high
cost per flower.

$$ If I got only 8 flowers per season I would blame myself - not the lily.
They bloom like crazy if they're in the sun and fertilized regularly.

Which lily ?

use Rose Spikes problem into thirds and a clay soil under 2" of pea gravel.
The little mini from Wally-World has no less than 2 flowers all the time.
Sometimes it has 3 open blooms at the same time for example. The red lily
has been blooming since mid June. It usually has one or two flowers, skips
a few days and has several more.....

I can luckily grow Tropicals where I live, and I will
get maybe 10x+ the flowers that a hardy will produce... if flowers are
your goal... a little more $$ upfront may be well worth the investment.

$$ Your climate may be too HOT for hardy lilies. Some people, including
myself, have no interest in tropicals that need constant replacement.

Why would Tropicals need to be replaced constantly ?

I can grow hardy lilies with no problem.

My
hardies last for years if divided every year.

And if you don't spend this time, you will get little to no flowers.
Many even grow out of their pots during the growing season, and once
that happens... bloom production falls off fast.

I still have the original
yellows (they all had names which I have long since forgotten) which blooms
from mid spring to frost. :-)

I doubt there is a profession reference that would conclude hardy
lilies are better bloomers than tropicals, in fact, they all say just
the opposite.

jay
Mon Aug 09, 2004

Old 10-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Karen

In article , Go Fig writes:

$4.50 is real cheap, but if you get 8 flowers all season, thats a high
cost per flower.

I bot one of those $4.50 lillies and it has been putting up flower after flower
from about the 3rd week I put it in the pond.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 10-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Go Fig

In article , Karen
wrote:

In article , Go Fig writes:

$4.50 is real cheap, but if you get 8 flowers all season, thats a high
cost per flower.

I bot one of those $4.50 lillies and it has been putting up flower after
flower
from about the 3rd week I put it in the pond.

Don't you think that is kinda rare for a hardy lily in its first year ?

Old 11-08-2004, 04:15 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message

When I buy a citrus tree, I shop for the exact species, the same for
gardenias, azaleas and the same goes for lilies for me.

$4.50 is real cheap, but if you get 8 flowers all season, thats a high
cost per flower.

$$ If I got only 8 flowers per season I would blame myself - not the

lily.
They bloom like crazy if they're in the sun and fertilized regularly.

Which lily ?

## What do you mean which lily? They all bloom all summer, as long as
they're in a very sunny place.

$$ Your climate may be too HOT for hardy lilies. Some people,

including
myself, have no interest in tropicals that need constant replacement.

Why would Tropicals need to be replaced constantly ?

## Because in zone 6 they DIE! Not everyone lives in a tropical or
semi-tropical area.

I can grow hardy lilies with no problem.

## But you claim they don't bloom for you.

My
hardies last for years if divided every year.

And if you don't spend this time, you will get little to no flowers.

## That depends on the lily. Some need repotting every 2 years.

Many even grow out of their pots during the growing season, and once
that happens... bloom production falls off fast.

## I only had this happen with the large yellow lilies. Most need
repotting once a year - in spring.

I still have the original
yellows (they all had names which I have long since forgotten) which

blooms
from mid spring to frost. :-)

I doubt there is a profession reference that would conclude hardy
lilies are better bloomers than tropicals, in fact, they all say just
the opposite.

## I didn't say hardies are BETTER bloomers than tropical. I said many
people don't want the expense of replacing tropicals every spring. I know I
don't, and they don't survive here in TN over the winter.
--
Carol....
"Two can live as cheaply as one, for half as long."

Old 11-08-2004, 04:15 AM
~ Windsong ~

Old 11-08-2004, 04:20 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Karen" wrote in message
In article , Go Fig

======
I bot one of those $4.50 lillies and it has been putting up flower after

flower
from about the 3rd week I put it in the pond.

Karen

=============================
I can't see how anyone can claim a healthy hardy lily, in the sun, potted in
good clay soil and well fertilized would only produce 8 blooms per season.
That's absurd. My Wally-World cheapos have been blooming since shortly
after I potted them up. The best bloomer is that orangy, yellowish, pinkish
mini. What a little beauty. Had I know these were mini's I would have
bought several more for my water barrels. I know I saved the packages they
came in but cannot find them. :-(

Old 11-08-2004, 04:25 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , Karen
wrote:

In article , Go Fig

writes:

$4.50 is real cheap, but if you get 8 flowers all season, thats a high
cost per flower.

I bot one of those $4.50 lillies and it has been putting up flower after
flower
from about the 3rd week I put it in the pond.

Don't you think that is kinda rare for a hardy lily in its first year ?

jay

===========================
That depends on the SIZE of the cutting in the package. These were a nice
size! :-) *Small* cutting/separations I make myself usually do not bloom
well, or only have a few blooms in late summer their first year. Some have
surprised us and bloomed well after a few weeks of independent life in the
pond. Even small cutting of this Yellow variety bloom well their first
year.

Old 11-08-2004, 04:25 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , Karen
wrote:

In article , Go Fig

Old 11-08-2004, 05:01 AM
Go Fig

In article , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , Karen
wrote:

In article , Go Fig

writes:

$4.50 is real cheap, but if you get 8 flowers all season, thats a high
cost per flower.

I bot one of those $4.50 lillies and it has been putting up flower after
flower
from about the 3rd week I put it in the pond.

Don't you think that is kinda rare for a hardy lily in its first year ?

jay

===========================
That depends on the SIZE of the cutting in the package. These were a nice
size! :-) *Small* cutting/separations I make myself usually do not bloom
well, or only have a few blooms in late summer their first year. Some have
surprised us

Yes, like I said... it is rare to get good production of blooms from
Hardy lilies in the first year.

and bloomed well after a few weeks of independent life in the
pond. Even small cutting of this Yellow variety bloom well their first
year.

There must be only like 15+ yellow hardy lilies.

Do you buy your trees and shrubs the same way... a 'yellow one'. It
makes it hard to discuss the subject with any specificity... you don't
talk about pumps in the same generic terms do you ?

jay
Tue Aug 10, 2004

Old 11-08-2004, 05:01 AM
Go Fig

In article , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , Karen
wrote:

In article , Go Fig

Old 11-08-2004, 05:29 AM
Karen

Jay
Some lillies are very prolific others and not quite so busy. Charlene Strawn
blooms continously, but it's a simple flower, while my Gonnere Snowball is a
more complex bloom and doesn't bloom as regularly as Charlene, but it gives me
2 or 3 flowers a week.

And as Carol said, cutting size makes a difference in how long it takes to
bloom. This spring I took 11 cuttings off a lily I bot last fall that needed
repotting then. The larger cuttings have already bloomed, while the smaller
ones have put up many pads, but no blooms yet this year, next year they'll be
ready.

Old 11-08-2004, 05:36 AM
Go Fig

In article , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , ~ Windsong ~
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message

When I buy a citrus tree, I shop for the exact species, the same for
gardenias, azaleas and the same goes for lilies for me.

$4.50 is real cheap, but if you get 8 flowers all season, thats a high
cost per flower.

$$ If I got only 8 flowers per season I would blame myself - not the

lily.
They bloom like crazy if they're in the sun and fertilized regularly.

Which lily ?

## What do you mean which lily? They all bloom all summer, as long as
they're in a very sunny place.

The species ?

$$ Your climate may be too HOT for hardy lilies. Some people,

including
myself, have no interest in tropicals that need constant replacement.

Why would Tropicals need to be replaced constantly ?

## Because in zone 6 they DIE! Not everyone lives in a tropical or
semi-tropical area.

I know people that keep them in their basement in NH.

I can grow hardy lilies with no problem.

## But you claim they don't bloom for you.

No I didn't!! I said they don't compare to tropicals. I have shown
pictures to the group of Hardy lilies... with the exact name too. I
further have suggested specific species of hardy lilies to grow to the
group.

Setting aside the mottled leaf that tropicals can have, the ease of
care and often viviparous reproduction... you get many more flowers
from tropicals and at the end of the season.

My
hardies last for years if divided every year.

And if you don't spend this time, you will get little to no flowers.

## That depends on the lily. Some need repotting every 2 years.

I guess a hardy could be repotted every two years... if you plant it
originally in a foot locker.

Many even grow out of their pots during the growing season, and once
that happens... bloom production falls off fast.

## I only had this happen with the large yellow lilies. Most need
repotting once a year - in spring.

But it happens a lot for the average ponder.

I still have the original
yellows (they all had names which I have long since forgotten) which

blooms
from mid spring to frost. :-)

Could be Joey Tomocik

I doubt there is a profession reference that would conclude hardy
lilies are better bloomers than tropicals, in fact, they all say just
the opposite.

## I didn't say hardies are BETTER bloomers than tropical. I said many
people don't want the expense of replacing tropicals every spring. I know I
don't, and they don't survive here in TN over the winter.

That works for you, but not for all. I buy from a HUGE Aquatic
Nursery... it is just as easy and even cheaper for me to pick up a
Hardy vs. a Tropical... but that would not generally be good financial
reasoning.

In April I bought 4 of Carla's Sunshine and Innocence, the most
expensive lilies on the market. They are viviparous, I have more than
20 plants now flowering profusely... not a bad return on investment...
impossible with a hardy, I doubt I will ever but these again.

I'll post a pic of what I mean later.

jay
Tue Aug 10, 2004

Watering cone set clearance TOM KAN PA Gardening 0 10-08-2004 08:26 PM
Garden clearance question Martin G Bridges United Kingdom 6 27-05-2003 11:08 PM
B&S valve clearance Johnny Lawns 10 24-04-2003 04:20 PM
Clearance sale at Fork & Spade! Kim Roses 0 23-04-2003 01:32 PM
Newbie - Allotment clearance Sam United Kingdom 3 27-10-2002 05:49 PM