Old 10-08-2004, 08:29 PM
BryanB

Default Water Hyacinth Root Pruning

Speaking of Water Hyacinths.....

One of the said Crappy Water Hyacinth plants has rather long roots and a
(in my mind) disporportionatly small green growth on top. As you can
see in the picture linked below, the roots are floating on the water
surface. There is some new growth on the plant so I'm basically
inclined to leave it be, however......

Question: Will pruning the roots of the dang thing harm the plant?
*Should* I prune the roots? (Pruning, not removing...)

Of course, if the plant's a lost cause, I'll jus' throw it into that
lovely, pristine, clear, flat, wide, huge reservoir up the road.
Surely, the nutrients in the plant will benefit something up there....

(Ok, I'm kidding about releasing the WH into the wild....)

Link: http://tinyurl.com/4bblp

--Bryan (Yes, I'm something of a newbie to the Porg...)

* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
* Through the Trees? | "Ho, Ho, Ho!" Santa *
* Take it out! | accused as he went *
* (Damn Viruses!) | through his list. *

Old 10-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Ka30P

Excellent visual aid! ;-)

I'd take it out, plunk it in a bucket with
some Miracle Grow and give it a feeding.
Probably it's hungry.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 10-08-2004, 11:45 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Welcome newbie Porg Person! ;o)

Love the picture, in particular the "size reference brick". LOL!
I would not cut the roots, what I expect to see happen, if the WH is now
happy where it is, it will make nice green babies, but the mother plant
will continue to look sickly. At least that is what is happening in my
Lilypond, all those that got pH stressed, made babies, that are nice and
green now that the pH is stable. I've started picking off the mom/main
plant and tossing its ugly self in the compose. I'm so ungrateful.

YMMV whenever the subject is water hyacinths. Right? ;o) ~ jan

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:29:46 GMT, BryanB

************************************************* ***********
* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
* Through the Trees? | "Ho, Ho, Ho!" Santa *
* Take it out! | accused as he went *
* (Damn Viruses!) | through his list. *
************************************************* ***********

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 10-08-2004, 11:47 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I don't know, K30, I did this with my sickly ones in the filter and they
just rotted to gross mush in the fertilized tub. Perhaps one needs to leave
them for just a bit of time in the Miracle Grow and place them back in the
pond within the hour? ~ jan

Old 11-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Ka30P

jan wrote I don't know, K30, I did this with my sickly ones in the filter
and they
just rotted to gross mush

Hmmmm. This is where I should confess that I've never had sickly looking water
hyacinths
(typing smug and superior). I suppose this is cue for the Porg Goddess to smite
me down and punish me for bragging. So I'll go ahead and confess my water is so
clear I can see your handwriting on the tubs that you planted the lilies in
that I bought from you.... might as well get it all over with when the Porg
Goddess decides I've been bad...

kathy :-)
algae primer