Old 11-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Robin

Default Hurricane prep a pond?

Is there anything you can do to help a pond better withstand
a hurricane or tropical storm? Or do you just have to let
nature do it's thing? I live about 1 mile off of Mobile bay
and we may have a storm headed our way.

Thanks for any advice,
Robin
http://community.webshots.com/user/robinandtami

Old 11-08-2004, 02:10 AM
RichToyBox

Get a generator, comes in handy, not only for the pond but for the power
outage to the house as well, keeping the refrigerator and freezer going. In
lieu of a generator, go to Walmart sporting goods and get several aerators
"Big Bubbles" work on D cell batteries for up to 80 hours.

Put in a liberal dose of baking soda, get the KH up to about 300ppm, the
heavy rains will be acid and eat large quantities of KH. Draw the pond
level down as much as possible, just before the storm hits to keep the water
from running over the top, if possible. If water is to the top, the fish
might decide to swim downstream.

Batten down the hatches and stay dry, and when the storm lets up, go out and
clean any wind driven debris, leaves, branches, etc from the pond.

--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

Old 11-08-2004, 02:21 AM
Ka30P

And good luck and let us know how it
goes!

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 11-08-2004, 03:14 AM
matrix j

I have been through a few hurricanes and tropical storms. My only
concern so far was foreign debris blow into the pond
(roof shingles blown off homes, tree branches etc.)

... make sure there are no things around your home and your nieghbor's
around you that will fly away and become projectiles.
Bring in lawn chairs, tables, lumber, hanging baskets, planters etc.

Oh yea..dont forget the BBQ pit! ;-)
Unless it's cast iron!

Old 11-08-2004, 07:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

If you cover it in the fall with screening or netting I'd do that with
board supports underneath. Move tall plants out that tip easy in the wind
and put them in a more protected area. Good luck. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 11-08-2004, 03:45 PM

call Jo Ann and ask... she is in Semmes. 251-649-4790
Ingrid

"Robin" wrote:

Is there anything you can do to help a pond better withstand
a hurricane or tropical storm? Or do you just have to let
nature do it's thing? I live about 1 mile off of Mobile bay
and we may have a storm headed our way.

Thanks for any advice,
Robin
http://community.webshots.com/user/robinandtami

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 12-08-2004, 03:25 AM
Crashj

"Robin" wrote in message
Is there anything you can do to help a pond better withstand
a hurricane or tropical storm? Or do you just have to let
nature do it's thing? I live about 1 mile off of Mobile bay
and we may have a storm headed our way.

Whaddaya, nutz? Can you say, "Camille?"
Forget the fish, get ready to get out of town.
Seriously, I have been through about six of them in Florida and North
Carolina and mostly partied. Looking back the only thing that saved me was
luck that I was never where the worst of the storm surge was. It is not the
wind, rain, and lack of power that kills people.
As for the fish, on your way out of town lower the water as much as
possible. Of course, in Camille, the storm surge was TWENTYFOUR FEET, so you
may have some extra water in the pond on your return.
Camille started the same place as this new one.
--
Crashj "this is not a drill" Johnson