Old 12-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Ka30P

Congrats on your bouncing baby fish!

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 12-08-2004, 07:35 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

plants and saw a tiny fish swimming around!
Congratulations!

minnows...I think I'll set up a fish tank so I can take them in at the end
of the season. How quick do fry grow in a month or so?? I'm going to bring
them in the second week of September if they survive.

I hope you have a big tank. By mid-September they ought to be 1.5" and if
you feed them small meals often, even bigger. They could winter in the pond
at that size. In the house with good water changes and food they can grow
1-2 inches per month. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 12-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Everwyrd

In that case I'll let them winter over in the pond. It's three feet deep and
1000 gallons. I thought they might get eaten by the frogs...New Bull
froglets are in the pond this year. I was thinking of a twenty gallon tank
and move them out in the spring but now I see that won't do..... Looks like
the pond for these little babies.... I'll hold off as long as I can though.

thanks,
Alan

Old 12-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Everwyrd

Good point!!! I think that may be the way to go... Do you think I'll be
able to see colors by the time they are a month along???

Old 12-08-2004, 10:21 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Good point!!! I think that may be the way to go... Do you think I'll be
able to see colors by the time they are a month along???

Yes, I do. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 13-08-2004, 02:40 AM
~ Windsong ~

Default Now I see what all the fuss is about!!

"Everwyrd" SPAM wrote in
message et...
I have often read similar posts to the one I am writing...grinned and

moved
along but now I am really excited!

=============================
Congrats on your new finny family members... :-)
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried

Old 13-08-2004, 02:42 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Everwyrd" SPAM wrote in
message et...
In that case I'll let them winter over in the pond. It's three feet deep

and
1000 gallons. I thought they might get eaten by the frogs...New Bull
froglets are in the pond this year. I was thinking of a twenty gallon tank
and move them out in the spring but now I see that won't do..... Looks

like
the pond for these little babies.... I'll hold off as long as I can

though.
=============================
They WILL get eaten by bullfrogs, and if you have frogs you must also have
snakes. Both eat fish. Purchase a bird-net at Ace Hardware and cover your
pond.

Old 13-08-2004, 03:18 AM
George

"Everwyrd" SPAM wrote in
message et...
In that case I'll let them winter over in the pond. It's three feet deep and
1000 gallons. I thought they might get eaten by the frogs...New Bull
froglets are in the pond this year. I was thinking of a twenty gallon tank
and move them out in the spring but now I see that won't do..... Looks like
the pond for these little babies.... I'll hold off as long as I can though.

thanks,
Alan

Just make sure that they have some places in which to shelter. Rocks work well,
and since it will be getting cooler before too long, they won't have the plants
to hide in. I have seven goldfish fry that are now about 2.5 inches long. My
waterfall is built into one end of the pond, and there are lots of rocks where
they can hide if need be. They don't have to now that they are larger. In
fact, they have already joined the school. But when they were smaller, they
stayed in amongst the rocks.

Old 13-08-2004, 03:39 AM
Everwyrd

Good thought. There are lots of nooks and crannies for them to hide in so it
should be alright. I'll take two or three in and leave the rest to the pond
powers.

"George" wrote in message

"Everwyrd" SPAM wrote

in
message et...

Old 13-08-2004, 06:31 AM
George

"Everwyrd" SPAM wrote in
message et...
Good thought. There are lots of nooks and crannies for them to hide in so it
should be alright. I'll take two or three in and leave the rest to the pond
powers.

Good luck. Here is a link to some pictures of my pond. If you look at the
group fish shots, you will note the babies in with the rest of the fish. I also
have a large catfish, and he seems to get along with everybody. Just don't get
in his way when he's feeding. They generally stay away from him, although the
larger Koi have made a game of sneaking up and stealing his food when he's not
looking. He's sick right now, so I don't have him in the pond, but you can see
most of him in photo number 6. Note the babies in the top right hand corner of
that picture.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/o/rockcat/pond/pond.htm

"George" wrote in message

"Everwyrd" SPAM wrote

in
message et...

Old 13-08-2004, 06:31 AM
George

"Everwyrd" SPAM wrote in
message et...
Good thought. There are lots of nooks and crannies for them to hide in so it
should be alright. I'll take two or three in and leave the rest to the pond
powers.

Good luck. Here is a link to some pictures of my pond. If you look at the
group fish shots, you will note the babies in with the rest of the fish. I also
have a large catfish, and he seems to get along with everybody. Just don't get
in his way when he's feeding. They generally stay away from him, although the
larger Koi have made a game of sneaking up and stealing his food when he's not
looking. He's sick right now, so I don't have him in the pond, but you can see
most of him in photo number 6. Note the babies in the top right hand corner of
that picture.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/o/rockcat/pond/pond.htm

"George" wrote in message

"Everwyrd" SPAM wrote