Old 14-08-2004, 08:08 PM
question

Default Pressurised filters

Hi
I'm looking to replace my Hozelock pressurized filter with either an Oase or
Fishmate model. Does anyone have any useful feedback about these filters.
The single BIG advantage as far as I can see is that the spnges can be
flushed through in situ, so no more struggling to dismantle and reassemble
the filter!

Any comments would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Old 15-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Rich L

I purchased an OASE filtoclear 3000 (pondliner.com) for my 1800 gallon
koi pond. I left the UV light in the filter off initially to let the
starter bacteria get established. I'm using a Sequence 750 pump
(AZPonds.com) with a skimmer & leaf trap prefilter. The leaf trap has
already saved one of my baby koi when he investigated where the the
bottom drain led to. I figure with the line losses and waterfall I'm
pushing between 1500 to 2000 gallons an hour though the filter.

When the water starting turning green after about 2 or 3 weeks I
plugged the filter in which activate the 9 watt UV. Within 3 to 4
days the green water was gone and the water has been pretty clear ever
since. The pond is just under 4 feet deep and I can clearly see the
bottom.

Cleaning the filtoclear is about as easy as it gets. Just turn the
knob to backflush and crank on the handle. I backflush for about a
minute and that's it. I spent 2 years cleaning 'in pond' filters and I
had enough. I bought for pretty much one reason - clean the flter
without getting my hands full of you know what.

The quality of the Filtoclear is excellent, it's some kind of tough
plastic fairly thick. The mechanisms were stiff at first but once
it's in operation everything turn and pulls smoothly. There are two
types of filter media one more coarser that the other. Oase says this
is to foster the growth of different bacteria.

The filter comes with stepped adapters for hoses up to 1-1/2 inch
diameter. To increase my flow rate I chose not to go with the
provided adapters. Instead I threaded 1-1/2 inch PVC plumbing
(couplers) directly to the filter. It worked out pretty well.

I highly recommend it.

Old 15-08-2004, 10:47 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Just in case they didn't mention it in the literature. Pressurized systems
really eat up the buffering (KH) so you should have a test kit for that.
They also work best when the KH is at least 150 ppm. Put Baking Soda on the
grocery list. ) ~ jan

"question" wrote in message ...
Hi
I'm looking to replace my Hozelock pressurized filter with either an Oase or
Fishmate model. Does anyone have any useful feedback about these filters.
The single BIG advantage as far as I can see is that the spnges can be
flushed through in situ, so no more struggling to dismantle and reassemble
the filter!

Any comments would be appreciated!
Thanks.

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 15-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Nedra

Hi Jan ... I have a PF3000 which is a pressurized filter. Now I know why
the KH was never a stable number. The things you learn on rec.ponds....
just incidently!
Thanks a million.

Nedra

Old 16-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Gareee©

"Rich L" wrote in message
om...
I purchased an OASE filtoclear 3000 (pondliner.com) for my 1800 gallon
koi pond. ...

Does this need an additional pump, or is one built in? We were considering
the UV solution, and this kind of integrates a UV and a filter, so might
actually be worth the shell out of cash...

--
Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
Homepage:

Old 16-08-2004, 01:41 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I just learned about it a year or so ago, so I don't how "out there" the
information is, or how good the dealers & manufacturers are about informing
people. It not like it is a flaw or anything, it is just something that one
needs to be aware of, as baking soda is an easy product to get and fairly
cheap. The unfortunate person is one who had a stable pond system before,
went to pressurized due to needing more filter, fish bigger, whatever, and
then have a pH crash because the KH, that they never had to worry about
before, is used up real fast. Especially if your fresh water doesn't have a
lot of buffering to begin with. Glad I could help. ) ~ jan

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:37:38 GMT, "Nedra" wrote:

Hi Jan ... I have a PF3000 which is a pressurized filter. Now I know why
the KH was never a stable number. The things you learn on rec.ponds....
just incidently!
Thanks a million.

Nedra

.. .

Old 16-08-2004, 03:14 AM
Crashj

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Just in case they didn't mention it in the literature. Pressurized systems
really eat up the buffering (KH) so you should have a test kit for that.
They also work best when the KH is at least 150 ppm. Put Baking Soda on

the
grocery list. ) ~ jan

Is that because of the new water you are putting in each time you flush, or
something else? Do you have to add dechlorinator?
--
Crashj

Old 16-08-2004, 04:54 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:14:47 GMT, "Crashj"
wrote:

Is that because of the new water you are putting in each time you flush, or
something else? Do you have to add dechlorinator?

The reason for adding Baking Soda? No, not because of the new water, (and
dechlor. is always wise when adding new) but something about the
pressurized system itself, beats the KH right out of the water. I'm sure it
is a chemistry related thing, but I can't tell you what or how.

I did send this question into the chemistry expert on the KHA board, so
I'll let you know. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Pressurised pond filters - any good? [email protected] Ponds 3 30-04-2006 08:44 PM
Pressurised filters question Ponds 0 14-08-2004 08:08 PM
Veggie Filters vs UV Filters ?? Dr Solo matrix Ponds 0 05-05-2004 04:06 AM
Veggie Filters vs UV Filters ?? (Joe) (Thank You All) Bette E Ponds 0 03-05-2004 08:02 AM
Veggie Filters vs UV Filters ?? Thanks-- Ooops ! More. Bette E Ponds 0 29-04-2004 10:10 PM