Old 27-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Roy

Default Fish out of water...survivability?

Well this moring when the wife came in from work she stopped to look
at her new Red and White Comets and her shubunkin. I had watched them
last night for over 2 hours in her 1/2 barrel planter. None made any
attempt at jumping. They were relatively very very friendly. They ate
great, and then this moring the wife could only see a shubunkin andone
comet in the tub. I went outside and found the other comet on the
ground, still breathing. I placed it in the tub, and it swam off and
dropped to the bottom like a rock, and rolled over on its side and
there it stayed..

Figured its history now........went into tell the wife I found the
other fish, and decided since it appears to have made one final
attempt to swim and failed, I had better remove it from the water as
it more than likely is dead. So back out I went reached in (fish was
still in same spot) got ahold of it, and then just started to move the
fish back and forth in the water, and next thing off it went from
between my fingers and started to swim naturally. It made a few laps
around the container, and then joined up with the other two fish, and
seemed to be doing ok. What is the chances it will survive? I have no
idea how long it was out of the water to begin with. When it jumped
out it hit mulch so it was not a hard surface, and it did eventually
flop around enough outside to get to the carpeted area, where I found
it.

So is it reasonable to assume it may survive? How far from the lip of
the container should I keep the water. It was approx 2" from top of
water to the lip on the container.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 27-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Gale Pearce

I would say the fact it is swimming now, it did survive the ordeal - you may
have saved it by moving the fish back & forth in the water, forcing water in
its's mouth and out over the gills - they do this in "catch and release"
sport fishing to assure the fish's survival upon release
Gale :~)

Old 27-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Nedra

Oh My ... Hal ! There is no way I could ever follow your instructions. I
have done
the back and forth movement of fish for 9 years and nary a one has drowned.
I think
the secret is in not doing just the backward movement of the fish - but to
do a back-and-forth
movement.
FWIW

Nedra

"Hal" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:12:21 GMT, (Roy)
wrote:

[...]

Your new fish have been under stress because of the handling and
transporting and anything they might have had from the original pond
or they contacted during travels could show up. Most of the time it
just goes away on it's own and the fish settle in to their new home.

I've heard several reasons why fish jump, most of the time they claim
it has to do with water quality, but fish do sometimes jump out of the
pond. Many ponds are constructed with a protrusion extending over
the water a few inches to prevent a flashing fish (Parasites cause
them to "flash" rub against the sides and bottom.) from following the
wall up and jumping out.

A local fish farmer has drain pipes in the bottom of his ponds and
when he wants to grade/cull fish he pulls the plug and catches them in
a basket and he says they live a surprisingly long time out of water.
I hope your fish will be OK.

I heard it can actually drown the fish to force water backward
through the gills. A better way to administer artificial respiration
to a fish is to use one finger to press that angled strip of flesh
behind the mouth and under the gills to force the mouth and gills open
and release to close while holding the fish under water. Once the
fish begins to move his mouth and gills on his own you can release
him.

Regards,

Hal

Old 28-08-2004, 12:50 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:48:14 -0400, Hal wrote:

I heard it can actually drown the fish to force water backward
through the gills. Hal

Actually they taught us, in the KHA class, to move the fish, but always
head first in a figure 8, not back and forth. They won't drown to my
knowledge.

I'd put some salt in the water, about a 1/2 cup should do it. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 30-08-2004, 09:39 PM
2pods

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:48:14 -0400, Hal wrote:

I heard it can actually drown the fish to force water backward
through the gills. Hal

Actually they taught us, in the KHA class, to move the fish, but always
head first in a figure 8, not back and forth. They won't drown to my
knowledge.

I'd put some salt in the water, about a 1/2 cup should do it. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

We just added two medium sized Goldfish to our other two in our smaller
pond.
Went out to feed them and could only find three, looked behind a rock, and
there it was. Don't know how long he'd been there.

However, after putting it back in the water, the fish didn't give me a
chance to move him forwards or backwards......just took off at speed !

Peter