Old 06-04-2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Catnip survivability

I planted catnip in my herbal garden because I happen to like the smell of
it.

I realized that sooner or later the neighborhood ferals would start chomping
on it, but I didn't realize the extent of the damage they can cause.

How well can catnip survive this kind of damage by cats? Is it a very hardy
plant that will recover or might I just as soon plant it indoors because it
won't survive outside? I always got the impression that it was a weed
basically and would recover very fast.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I planted catnip in my herbal garden because I happen to like the smell
of it.

I realized that sooner or later the neighborhood ferals would start
chomping on it, but I didn't realize the extent of the damage they can
cause.

How well can catnip survive this kind of damage by cats? Is it a very
hardy plant that will recover or might I just as soon plant it indoors
because it won't survive outside? I always got the impression that it
was a weed basically and would recover very fast.

Mine did not survive the 2 or 3 outdoor cats that come to my yard.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 06-04-2007, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Travis M." wrote in news:2rmRh.7228
$jZ3.2673@trnddc06:

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I planted catnip in my herbal garden because I happen to like the smell
of it.

I realized that sooner or later the neighborhood ferals would start
chomping on it, but I didn't realize the extent of the damage they can
cause.

How well can catnip survive this kind of damage by cats? Is it a very
hardy plant that will recover or might I just as soon plant it indoors
because it won't survive outside? I always got the impression that it
was a weed basically and would recover very fast.

Mine did not survive the 2 or 3 outdoor cats that come to my yard.

I'm surprised it didn't since it's a mint and everyone keeps telling me
that mint is indestructable.

I've found that not all cats like catnip, either, so maybe you won't have
rambling hoards of raiding cats. But you can always plant catmint which
smells as nice and isn't supposed to be as attractive to cats. Or any of
the other deliciously scented mints. Chocolate, orange, peppermint...
yum. (I love mints.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 18:12:09 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I planted catnip in my herbal garden because I happen to like the smell of
it.

I realized that sooner or later the neighborhood ferals would start chomping
on it, but I didn't realize the extent of the damage they can cause.

How well can catnip survive this kind of damage by cats? Is it a very hardy
plant that will recover or might I just as soon plant it indoors because it
won't survive outside? I always got the impression that it was a weed
basically and would recover very fast.

I covered mine with hardware cloth (wire mesh with half inch holes) a
couple of inches off the ground. The cats only ate what grew through
the mesh. It's come up again this spring so I think it may be strong
enough now to survive without protection.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Travis M." wrote in message
"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I planted catnip in my herbal garden because I happen to like the smell of
it.

I realized that sooner or later the neighborhood ferals would start
chomping on it, but I didn't realize the extent of the damage they can
cause.

How well can catnip survive this kind of damage by cats? Is it a very
hardy plant that will recover or might I just as soon plant it indoors
because it won't survive outside? I always got the impression that it
was a weed basically and would recover very fast.

Mine did not survive the 2 or 3 outdoor cats that come to my yard.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

I'm wondering about that, no harm letting it go and seeing what happens.
But between when I posted this originally and now the cats came back and
mauled the rest of my catnip plants. Not just the catnip but the lemon
catnip too - which my cat seems to ignore.

I'm gonna get me one of those motion activated scarecrows and see if that
doesn't deter them - if not at least my garden will get some water.

The other responses give me some hope, I want it to turn into a weed, I have
a 16x6 foot planter box to fill with herbs - rosemary, catnip, lavender, and
marigolds and I'm crossing my fingers that it will do well.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 18:12:09 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:
How well can catnip survive this kind of damage by cats? Is it a very hardy
plant that will recover or might I just as soon plant it indoors because it
won't survive outside? I always got the impression that it was a weed

basically and would recover very fast.

There's an old saying about catnip: "If you set* it, the cats will get it.
If you sow it, the cats won't know it." *set: set out a started plant.

I've seen cats dig up freshly planted catnip -- in fact, I've got
a botanical key someplace
that has a hole licked through the cover by cats who were after the
Nepeta x fassenii sprig I'd pressed between the pages.

Chicken wire or lots of citrus peel help if you're going to grow started
plants... otherwise, start your plants from seed.

Yes, it's weedy in some parts of the US. Barely hangs on for me here
in western Oregon unless I cuddle it up to a south facing stone wall for
warmth.

Kay

Old 07-04-2007, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

Is it too late to seed?

Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 08:41:09 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:
Is it too late to seed?

Most likely it'd do just fine from seed now. Just observe the usual seed
practices, like keeping the soil damp and not letting it dry out during
germination and early growth.

You can always get a little ahead of the game by "pregerminating" the
seeds inside on a paper towel or such, and then planting outside the
second you start to see seedling emergence. Saves a lot of watering
trips. g

Kay

Old 08-04-2007, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Is it too late to seed?

Most likely it'd do just fine from seed now. Just observe the usual seed
practices, like keeping the soil damp and not letting it dry out during
germination and early growth.

You can always get a little ahead of the game by "pregerminating" the
seeds inside on a paper towel or such, and then planting outside the
second you start to see seedling emergence. Saves a lot of watering
trips. g

Kay

Heh, I live in Seattle, from now until June I won't have to worry about the
ground drying out.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Is it too late to seed?

Most likely it'd do just fine from seed now. Just observe the usual
seed
practices, like keeping the soil damp and not letting it dry out
during
germination and early growth.

You can always get a little ahead of the game by "pregerminating" the
seeds inside on a paper towel or such, and then planting outside the
second you start to see seedling emergence. Saves a lot of watering
trips. g

Kay

Heh, I live in Seattle, from now until June I won't have to worry
about the ground drying out.

July 5th for me.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 08-04-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 17:30:32 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:
Heh, I live in Seattle, from now until June I won't have to worry about the
ground drying out.

I'm not that far south of you... I lost a patch of reseeded lawn in a
day this week... ;-)
Old 08-04-2007, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Heh, I live in Seattle, from now until June I won't have to worry about
the
ground drying out.

I'm not that far south of you... I lost a patch of reseeded lawn in a
day this week... ;-)

I haven't lost any grass, but I sure have gained a lot of moss. Oh well, at
least its green.