Old 11-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Ralph

Default What type of pipe for bottom drain

I have my hole almost done. Went to look at 4" pipe for bottom drain and
found a variety of pipe types. There is "sewer and drain pipe" with styrene
fittings, Schedule 40 & 80 pipe, and corrugated pipe. I ruled out the
corrugated pipe which is flexable because it appears that waste would
collect in the groves. This leaves the sewer pipe and schedule 40. The sewer
is much thinner but I was told this is used for septic systems outdoors and
schedule 40 is used for indoor waste lines. The sewer is also less expense
and seems to have all the necessary fittings I would need. Any guideance
would be appreciated.

Old 11-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Granny Grump

schedule 40 is used for indoor waste lines. The sewer is also less expense
and seems to have all the necessary fittings I would need. Any guideance
would be appreciated.

Sewer will work.

Old 11-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Andrew Burgess

"Ralph" writes:

I have my hole almost done. Went to look at 4" pipe for bottom drain and
found a variety of pipe types. There is "sewer and drain pipe" with styrene
fittings, Schedule 40 & 80 pipe, and corrugated pipe. I ruled out the
corrugated pipe which is flexable because it appears that waste would
collect in the groves. This leaves the sewer pipe and schedule 40. The sewer
is much thinner but I was told this is used for septic systems outdoors and
schedule 40 is used for indoor waste lines. The sewer is also less expense
and seems to have all the necessary fittings I would need. Any guideance
would be appreciated.

Two things in my experience. Sewer pipe cannot be made to connect to
'regular' schedule 40 fittings (that I found anyway), so if you want to connect
to e.g. a bulkhead fitting it won't work. I never found any threaded fittings
and the size is different from regular plumbing fittings and the styrene
doesn't work with PVC solvent weld type glues.

I had problems with pinhole leaks using the recommended glue. If your
pipe is under pressure that prob won't be a problem since the dirt will
eventually plug them. My application was a siphon pipe between two
barrel filters and it would always lose the siphon, I finally spent the
$$ and used regular fittings (the pipe wasn't sched 40 but cheaper
and thinner class 125 but the elbows are what costs the big bucks :-)

Corrugated actually sounds workable to me if you don't need fittings,
I think the stuff that collects in the grooves wouldn't impact flow.
It sure is cheap and easy, not sure if it would work with a pipe boot
into a liner though, prob not. It probably has pinhole leaks too and I know of
no glue for it.

"pipe and fittings and glue, oh my!"

HTH

Old 12-09-2004, 01:31 AM
RichToyBox

Sewer and drain pipe is not designed to be under pressure, in fact most are
run only about 1/3 full. With the pressure of the water from the pond
pushing against the bottom drain, I think I would want Schedule 40. In the
larger sizes of Schedule 40, there are two types, one is designed for
pressure pipe, the other is DWV drain, waste, vent pipe. DWV PVC is
compatible with the fittings of either water pipe or dwv. The dwv fittings
are generally cheaper, have wider sweeps, Y's instead of T's.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

. ..

Old 13-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ralph" wrote in message
. ..
I have my hole almost done. Went to look at 4" pipe for bottom drain and
found a variety of pipe types. There is "sewer and drain pipe" with

styrene
fittings, Schedule 40 & 80 pipe, and corrugated pipe. I ruled out the
corrugated pipe which is flexable because it appears that waste would
collect in the groves. This leaves the sewer pipe and schedule 40. The

sewer
is much thinner but I was told this is used for septic systems outdoors

and
schedule 40 is used for indoor waste lines. The sewer is also less expense
and seems to have all the necessary fittings I would need. Any guideance
would be appreciated.

I used 4'' PVC. Schedule 80, I think.

BV.

Old 13-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Hal" wrote in message
snip
There are lots of different configurations being used. I know one
guy who cut a hole through the liner 1" smaller than the drain and
shoved the drain pipe through about an inch. The liner forms a seal
right around the pipe. (He didn't use a clamp, said he didn't need
one.

snip

I did exactly this. I used the very method you are describing. No clamp, so
far no leak after almost 2 years. I think I have a link to it under
http://www.iheartmypond.com/Design/DIY/Fittings/.

BV.