Old 15-09-2004, 08:48 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Okay, sounds like they got toxed-out with hydrogen sulfide.
~ jan

What can i use for filtering that is fish safe and less itchy than
insulation?

Out of the pond filter? Or around the pump?

Around an in-pond pump I only have mesh baskets to keep the big particles
out till they break down to little particulars, then I made an upflow
out-of-the-pond filter like the flower pot filters show at the bottom page
of *My Filter* on my website www.jjspond.us . This can be stuffed with
window screening, or in my case, because I had extra open cell foam, I used
pieces of it and then three 1" rounds.

I filter my 1,000 gallon lilypond with a 19 gallon size pot, 700 gph mag
drive in-pond. 7 large fantail goldfish with a few goldfish and koi babies.
Lots of plants (and once I got the pH below 8.4) it has been perfectly
clear. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 16-09-2004, 12:47 AM
RichToyBox

Your current pump will work, but I would lift it several inches off the
bottom to keep it from clogging or recycling the mulm on the bottom. When
the mulm starts to accumulate, it should be easy to clean from that size
pond.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

"jammer" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:57:18 GMT, "RichToyBox"

If i clean the bottom pond regularly, can i keep the 250 pondmaster
and waterfall? (will the fish live then)

I KNEW there had to be some explanation, thank you very much.

As always, juls/jammer

(i am sure i'll be back with more about this)

Old 16-09-2004, 07:15 AM
jammer

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:47:48 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

Your current pump will work, but I would lift it several inches off

the
bottom to keep it from clogging or recycling the mulm on the bottom.

When
the mulm starts to accumulate, it should be easy to clean from that

size
pond.

It is sitting on the bottom so thank you so much for this!

I got the sunken end raised today and will completely clean and
Condition them tomorrow. Then i'll re-build the waterfall and i MIGHT
just have time to enjoy it before i go out of town for several weeks.
I am still trying to think of a way to make a filter but cant find
"Small Filters For Dummies"... It should be ok for a while, then
someone can explain to me why it didnt work without one

I totally appreciate ya'lls input.

Old 17-09-2004, 04:40 AM
jammer

Ok, today i emptied and refilled the lower pond, adding "Right Start"
or something like that. I sat the pump on a brick platform about 4-5
inches off of the bottom. I also sprayed off the plants and cut back
some roots. (Those taro grow like freaking crazy here!) Then i
emptied the upper pond and caught the 3 remaining goldfish and plunked
them into the bottom pond. (That additive said it was fish ready
immediately) I shop vacced the top pond and filled and conditioned
it. I can probably actually go buy a few fish for it now. All that
took me up until dark and about 57 mosquito bites. (Off Schmoff) So i
propped the hose up with a rock over the top pond where the new
waterfall will be, and turned on the pump. Last i checked, the fish
were played chase.

I would like to thank you for your help. The answers may have been
easy, but i had no idea how much sludgey crap was in the bottom pond
and no wonder i every fish.

LIVE AND LEARN - I have learned plenty and will go on someday to
help my friends with their ponds.

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:57:18 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

The water fall is acting as a skimmer for the top pond and all the

dust,
dirt, debris that lands on the pond, plus any floating plant material

all go
over the water fall to the small pond at the bottom. The pump will
recirculate some of this stuff, since it will be dispersed through

the water
column. The bottom pond will fill with muck, mulm, fairly quickly

and needs
to be cleaned regularly. When I started out, I had a similar setup

yours, and then added a 1500 gallon liner pond to the mix, and then

the
amount of mulm built up very quickly in the bottom pond.

You really need a solids handling pump that you can put on the bottom

of the
small lower pond and then have the water circulated through some form

of
filter that can be easily cleaned, or you will be cleaning the bottom

pond
very often, or you will be building pockets of hydrogen sulfide gas

that
will kill fish, if you want to have fish in the lower pond. If you

don't
mind not having fish in the lower pond, then it can be a settling

tank,
setting the pump intake near the surface, and as material builds up,

turn
off the pump, use a shop vac or similar to clean the pond and then

refill
the bottom pond and restart the system.

Old 17-09-2004, 04:42 AM
jammer

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:40:03 -0500, jammer wrote:

I would like to thank you for your help. The answers may have been
easy, but i had no idea how much sludgey crap was in the bottom pond
and no wonder i every fish.

Clear as mulm, eh?

It's no wonder i killed my fish with all that crap in there but i
didnt realize how i had turned it into a settling tank.