Old 15-09-2004, 08:08 PM
CombatPotato

Default Ulcer treatment

my pond is in Scotland UK and I have recently suffered problems with ulcers.
lost 6 fish to date. I have tried the remedies available in pet shops to no
avail. I have taken my large Koi to the vet to be injected with antibiotics
but catching the smaller fish is almost impossible. Probably have 6 fish
still infected, varying from goldfish, shubunkins and comets. My pond is
well established 10+ years and this is the first fish that I have lost for 5
years. Water quality is good.

Best regards
John

PS this is my first post ever on a newsgroup.

Old 15-09-2004, 09:59 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

my pond is in Scotland UK and I have recently suffered problems with ulcers.
lost 6 fish to date. I have tried the remedies available in pet shops to no
avail. I have taken my large Koi to the vet to be injected with antibiotics
but catching the smaller fish is almost impossible. Probably have 6 fish
still infected, varying from goldfish, shubunkins and comets. My pond is
well established 10+ years and this is the first fish that I have lost for 5
years. Water quality is good. Best regards John

PS this is my first post ever on a newsgroup.

Hi John, and welcome to rec.ponds.

So what did the vet say was wrong with your fish?

Water quality is good, is not much to go on, could we have the numbers for
Ammonia, Nitrite, pH & KH, pond water temperature? Maybe we'll see
something you don't. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 16-09-2004, 12:44 AM
RichToyBox

In addition to Jan's request for info, you might also describe any behaviors
you have seen with the fish, that might indicate parasites, and if the vet
did a scrape and mentioned any parasites. Ulcers show up on fish that have
parasites, or are otherwise stressed. The water quality is one potential
stressor.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

Old 16-09-2004, 09:11 AM
CombatPotato

When I say water quality is good I don't have actual numbers. When I tested,
the kits had a colour chart to go on which indicated that the nitrate,
nitrite and ammonia levels were in the acceptable band. the ph is 6.5.
Pond temperature is 12.3 celcius today.
I had one of my fish taken to Stirling univercity where they diagnosed a
bacterial viral infection tha the vet says antibiotics are required for,
still awaiting the full report. The vet says that he cannot treat the whole
pond as this will kill the friendly bacteria in my filter.

Thanks once again
John D

Old 16-09-2004, 09:13 AM
CombatPotato

The behaviour of my fish is unchanged. they are still active and feeding
well. One thing I forgot to mention previously was that several ogf the
tails are also frayed/ulcered.

Regard
John D.

Old 16-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Rodney Pont

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:11:44 +0100, CombatPotato wrote:

When I say water quality is good I don't have actual numbers. When I tested,
the kits had a colour chart to go on which indicated that the nitrate,
nitrite and ammonia levels were in the acceptable band. the ph is 6.5.
Pond temperature is 12.3 celcius today.
I had one of my fish taken to Stirling univercity where they diagnosed a
bacterial viral infection tha the vet says antibiotics are required for,
still awaiting the full report. The vet says that he cannot treat the whole
pond as this will kill the friendly bacteria in my filter.

Your filter bacteria is about to take some time off for the winter
anyway John and, to me at least, the fish are far more important. Could
you bypass the filter and stuff an airstone in it?

Do you have much detritus on the bottom of the pond or in the filter?
There are always some nasty bacteria around but something has caused
them to increase in levels and/or make your fish susceptible. A ph of
6.5 is a bit low I think, it's acidic and they like alkaline
conditions, something like 7.2 to 9 would be better.

We had a similar problem about this time last year and in the end our
Vet got us some Baytril to treat the whole pond and so far we haven't
had a return of the problem. We changed the filter to a Fishmate
pressurized one last year and it let most things through, even
tadpoles. I threw out the sponges and put some beads in this year and
it's cleaned up the bottom nicely.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 16-09-2004, 11:24 PM

how big is your pond in gallons? when was the last time you cleaned out the bottom
of the pond? when was the last time you changed out some water? did you introduce
any new fish? how cloudy is your water?
parasites are almost always the first infestation and breach the slime coat and leave
the fish open to infection by bacteria. there is no such thing as bacterial viral
infection. there is an infection with bacteria and/.or an infection with a virus.
you need to first treat the parasite problem, usually formaldehyde of some kind and
feed antibiotic food. to save the fish you may need to drain the pond and bring them
all into some kind of quarantine tank where you can properly take care of the sores.

http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/disease/disease.htm
Ingrid

"CombatPotato" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 17-09-2004, 02:47 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Besides what others have asked, more of my musings....

When I say water quality is good I don't have actual numbers. When I tested,
the kits had a colour chart to go on which indicated that the nitrate,
nitrite and ammonia levels were in the acceptable band.

That's too bad (no numbers), as the only acceptable measure of nitrite &
ammonia is zero and sometimes those color charts will fudge a bit. As in, a
little is still acceptable to them.

the ph is 6.5.

That's kind of low, if I remember right you said your pond has been in
operation a number of years, and I'm wondering if maybe you might (have)
been overcrowded and if not watching the KH perhaps you've had a pH crash
(usually though this shows up with readings of ammonia). The fray
fins/tails though, usually signal ammonia. Perhaps because you've lost a
few, the test didn't register at the time you took it?

The product I've used with success is KoiZyme, also known as Lymnozyme.
This product gets rid of the bad bacteria by starving it, it doesn't not
hurt the bacteria in the filter.

If your pet shops test water, I'd take a sample to them and find out the
numbers and have a KH test done. ~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Ulcer treatment CombatPotato Ponds 0 15-09-2004 08:08 PM
Ulcer treatment CombatPotato Ponds 0 15-09-2004 08:08 PM
Koi ulcer,please help. John Ponds 13 09-04-2004 06:11 AM
Spider cleared of causing flesh-eating ulcer? lumberjack Australia 29 03-09-2003 11:02 AM
Spider cleared of causing flesh-eating ulcer? lumberjack Gardening 2 28-08-2003 09:02 AM