Old 17-09-2004, 06:31 AM
Claudia

Default Where did the frog come from?

I am a suburbanish newbie ponder. The closest "wild" water is 4 blocks away
over major streets. WHERE did the frog staring at me - as in eye level- on
my screen door come from tonight? And then when I didn't let him in the
house, but shut the slider - WHERE did he go to? No frog sounds, totally
surprise.

--
Totus Tuus
Claudia (take out no spam to reply)

Old 17-09-2004, 06:39 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Sounds like a treefrog, they only hang out in water in the spring/early
summer, otherwise they hang out in the bushes and travel when the
sprinklers are on or rain. I haven't had them on the screen, but I'm had
them at the door step of my sliding door now and then. ~ jan

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 05:31:33 GMT, "Claudia" wrote:

I am a suburbanish newbie ponder. The closest "wild" water is 4 blocks away
over major streets. WHERE did the frog staring at me - as in eye level- on
my screen door come from tonight? And then when I didn't let him in the
house, but shut the slider - WHERE did he go to? No frog sounds, totally
surprise.

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 17-09-2004, 12:28 PM
George

"Claudia" wrote in message
I am a suburbanish newbie ponder. The closest "wild" water is 4 blocks away
over major streets. WHERE did the frog staring at me - as in eye level- on
my screen door come from tonight? And then when I didn't let him in the
house, but shut the slider - WHERE did he go to? No frog sounds, totally
surprise.

--
Totus Tuus
Claudia (take out no spam to reply)

Can you describe it, markings, color, and what area you live in? If it makes no
sound, it could be a female, as only males croak.

Old 17-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Claudia" wrote in message
I am a suburbanish newbie ponder. The closest "wild" water is 4 blocks

away
over major streets. WHERE did the frog staring at me - as in eye level-

on
my screen door come from tonight? And then when I didn't let him in the
house, but shut the slider - WHERE did he go to? No frog sounds, totally
surprise.

You've seen "Field of Dreams" right? Some think it is about baseball. Others
believe it is about a man following his boyhood dreams. In reality it is a
documentary on pondlife.

BV.

Old 17-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Ralph

A Tadpole!

Sorry... I couldn't resist.

I am on a hill almost a mile from any creeks or ponds and in the last
13 years all sorts of beasties have come by. We have had bullfrogs,
green frogs, tree frogs, spring peepers, toads, turtles, snakes,
coons, voles deer and all sorts of cool stuff come from apparently
nowhere. Water seem to attract just about everything... including
humans.

Look here and see if you can find something similar. Not sure what
area you are from.

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/...herpetol/frog/

Old 17-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Ka30P

Frogs, and toads, like to travel when it rains,
or suburban sprinklers are going.
And males are the talkers. Ladies sit back, do their nails, and think about it.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 17-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Derek Broughton

Claudia wrote:

I am a suburbanish newbie ponder. The closest "wild" water is 4 blocks
away
over major streets. WHERE did the frog staring at me - as in eye level-
on
my screen door come from tonight? And then when I didn't let him in the
house, but shut the slider - WHERE did he go to? No frog sounds, totally
surprise.

Four blocks is nothing :-) Most of the tree frogs don't spend much time
near water (and when you see him at eye-level, it's unlikely he's anything
else), but even true frogs can go great distances from water. Leopard
frogs are also known as "meadow frogs" because you can easily find them two
kilometers from the nearest water. Bull & Green frogs spend more time in
water, but could still find your pond from that sort of distance.
--
derek
Old 17-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Derek Broughton

Ka30P wrote:

Frogs, and toads, like to travel when it rains,
or suburban sprinklers are going.
And males are the talkers. Ladies sit back, do their nails, and think
about it.

That's twice somebody has said that. I always knew that the males did
_most_ of the talking but do the females not vocalize at all? In all these
years, I didn't know that...
--
derek

Old 17-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Ka30P

Derek wrote but do the females not vocalize at all?

They will make alarm calls.
As in 'help! the humans, snakes, raccoons, herons, cats, dogs' are coming!

I've had a lady bullfrog around here for two summers and she never makes a
peep. A male treefrog showed up, called and called, and then
ominously stopped. I think the lady bullfrog had had enough noise and ate him
up...

kathy :-)
algae primer