Old 21-05-2007, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default The Japanese Beetles did not come this year!

We live in North of Atlanta. The Japanese Beetles had attacked our
gardens every year between the end of April and the beginning of May .
But it's strange. The JB did not come this year! Any one has any idea?
Does this similar to the dieing of bees in the US by the cell phone
frequencies?

Old 21-05-2007, 12:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
KW KW is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
We live in North of Atlanta. The Japanese Beetles had attacked our
gardens every year between the end of April and the beginning of May .
But it's strange. The JB did not come this year! Any one has any idea?
Does this similar to the dieing of bees in the US by the cell phone
frequencies?

I don't know if it is the reason or not, but I'm betting that it has
something to do with the drought in our area. I live in the mountains north
of Atlanta and in the past when we have had years as dry as this has been,
I've notice the hatch delayed as late as July (when we finally started
seeing frequent ground-soaking rains). Might be Mother Nature telling them
that there is not much green stuff to eat right now.

KW

Old 22-05-2007, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Here in coastal North Carolina I have not seen Japanese Beetles for several
years, very unusual. I used to have them all over my roses and raspberries.
When a pest as pernicious as Jap Beetles vanishes, one has some cause for
concern -- not that I miss them.

Karl W.

Old 22-05-2007, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
clc clc is offline

Oh, you all give me such hope...

Cheryl in Central IL

Old 24-05-2007, 07:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Last year I saw only a very few of those bettles, and so far I've seen ZERO
of them, and in a normal year I would be seening them already, oh ya, those
4 O'Clocks are deadly to them too, I watched one buch of their eggs get
hached on them and the new ones died right away so that's a ++ for them.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
AD World
http://www.adworld.netfirms.com/

"clc" wrote in message
Oh, you all give me such hope...

Cheryl in Central IL

Old 29-05-2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
We live in North of Atlanta. The Japanese Beetles had attacked our
gardens every year between the end of April and the beginning of May .
But it's strange. The JB did not come this year! Any one has any idea?
Does this similar to the dieing of bees in the US by the cell phone
frequencies?

I, too have not seen a single JB this year. I saw my first about 5
years ago after which they rapidly multiplied. The last two summers
were horrible.

Last summer, I sprinkled milky spore on my lawn, but I know this
didn't get rid of all of the beetles in a few months,let alone my
neighbors.

I think the Easter freeze along with the southeastern drought has
decreased their number. It's amazing how nature takes care of itself
even if we humans do suffer for a little while (with freezes and
drought ).

I doubt the cellular theory applies to JB. They are not as migratory
as bees. JB's come out of the ground, find their food souce (usually
nearby), eat, have sex, eat, have more sex, lay eggs near the food
source, then they die.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

it's already June. The JB will not come this year.
it will be amazed if those come back next year.

Sean

Old 12-06-2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

I noticed. OTOH, I think I have seen our first firefly... zone 5(6)?
near the lake. Ingrid