Old 18-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Registered User

Location: Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespula
We have a fairly new pond of about 8 weeks, the pool stays very clear
as we have an ultra voilet light, and an air machine and pump. But we
seem to have picked up blanket weed we don't know if it came on a
plant we bought or if this is a common problem with ponds, any advise
on getting rid of it would be welcome
You'll never completely get rid of it, but the fewer nutrients in the pond the better. Plenty of marginal and submerged plants helps. It's easy to pull out with a stick and a twirling motion.

Is the pond in full sun, or does it get shaded as the sun moves across?
Old 19-09-2004, 12:35 AM
S. M. Henning

"Lostin1999" wrote:

* Bacteria to help eliminate the dead algae.

would this be "added" bacteria or the ponds natural?? if added would
"filter booster" work?

It is a powdered sludge-eating product (concentrated bacteria culture).

I also have a lot of marginal filter plants in the pond to take the
nutrients out of the water.

next year im going to add some water hyacinth's, but as my pond is
ornamental one thing i didnt want was loads of plants (although im still
trying to design a veggie filter with a slow flow for my pond (but as its
got cooler ill probably not get it sorted till next spring!)

Marginal plants or a veggie filter are necessary to get the nutrients
out of the water. That is what the string algae is living on. If you
don't eliminate the nutrients the string algae will keep coming back.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 19-09-2004, 08:08 AM
vespula

Chakoteya wrote in message news:1095523316.Ohrs+grF21q4sxAI2yadaQ@teranews. ..
vespula Wrote:
We have a fairly new pond of about 8 weeks, the pool stays very clear
as we have an ultra voilet light, and an air machine and pump. But we
seem to have picked up blanket weed we don't know if it came on a
plant we bought or if this is a common problem with ponds, any advise
on getting rid of it would be welcome

You'll never completely get rid of it, but the fewer nutrients in the
pond the better. Plenty of marginal and submerged plants helps. It's
easy to pull out with a stick and a twirling motion.

Is the pond in full sun, or does it get shaded as the sun moves across?

It has full sun for about 4 hours in the morning then shade for the
rest of the day, we also have 2 koi's (one ghost one english) they
have shown no intrest in eating the blanket weed.

Old 19-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Registered User

Location: Kent

Koi are carnivores, they won't eat the weed, just anything living in it. The situation sounds about right, like ours. It's just a matter of time before the nutrients in the pond get almost used and you'll have less and less weed to pull out. Take care not to overfeed the fish, the food remains will just go to add to the nutrient levels. But you know that anyway.
Old 19-09-2004, 12:41 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

I wonder if our koi are just strange. Or maybe it is an age factor. How
big/old are yours?

Your experience makes me glad our koi have decided blanketweed is a treat.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

"vespula" wrote in message
om...

Old 19-09-2004, 09:21 PM
vespula

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message ...
I wonder if our koi are just strange. Or maybe it is an age factor. How
big/old are yours?

Your experience makes me glad our koi have decided blanketweed is a treat.

Jim

Our koi are not that old about a year and only about 3 inches so maybe
they will grow to love it we can hope

Denise

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

"vespula" wrote in message
om...

Old 20-09-2004, 02:03 AM
Roy

I woulds have to think a 1 year old Koi should be larger than 3" Then
again I don;t really know. Some of theKoi I bought in the petshop were
only around 3" when I put them in my pond in early April, and they are
already monsters, most being at least 12" or so........even my little
feeder gold fish are 6 to 7 inches, and they also were put in the opnd
at the same time.

My koi seem to turn their nose up at Azolla and most all aquatic
plants for some reason.....but they sure can puyt a dent in a 10 pound
bag of feed in no time. My one butterfly koi and the two shubunkins in
the half barrel will devour a half a cup of duckweed or fairy moss in
no time flat, as well as anything else thats green. Seems strange the
ones in the larger pond don;t seem to bother any plants or algae.
I do have a red / white sarassa that thinks its a cow, as that little
fat fool will literally eat plants or algae all day ong, scarf up all
the food pellets very quickly and beg for more, and if not given any
eat my water lillies and anything else it can get its mouth on.
Darnest hungriest fish I have ever seen.......He got to be so bad I
had to take him out of the half barrel and put him in with the big
pigs......

On 19 Sep 2004 13:21:21 -0700, (vespula)
wrote:

==="Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message ...
=== I wonder if our koi are just strange. Or maybe it is an age factor. How
=== big/old are yours?
===
=== Your experience makes me glad our koi have decided blanketweed is a treat.
===
=== Jim
===
===Our koi are not that old about a year and only about 3 inches so maybe
===they will grow to love it we can hope
===
===Denise
===
=== --
=== ____________________________________________
=== See our pond at: home.bellsouth.net\p\pwp-jameshurley
=== Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net
===
=== "vespula" wrote in message
=== om...
=== vespula Wrote:
[...]

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 20-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Derek Broughton

vespula wrote:

It has full sun for about 4 hours in the morning then shade for the
rest of the day, we also have 2 koi's (one ghost one english) they
have shown no intrest in eating the blanket weed.

LOL. If they ate it (a) we'd never have a problem with it and (b) it
wouldn't be blanket _weed_, it would be blanket _food_. To a small extent,
they will eat it if you don't feed them anything else. But they'd rather
just eat the roots of your water hyacinth - or something else you're
attached to.
--
derek
Old 20-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Nedra

My koi don't like Azolla either .... but show them duckweed and they go
crazy...
that and water hyacinths are their favs. Their ordinary koi food is their
odds on
favorite.

Nedra

=== vespula Wrote:
[...]

Blanket Weed (long post) David Hickman United Kingdom 3 11-07-2003 09:57 PM
Blanket weed David Williams Ponds (alternative) 8 30-06-2003 07:56 PM
Blanket weed stacey Ponds 2 30-06-2003 12:20 AM
Blanket weed as/is a veggie filter plant Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 2 27-04-2003 03:20 AM
Blanket weed on my baby water lilies eric United Kingdom 2 22-03-2003 07:32 PM