Old 22-09-2004, 02:07 AM
HA HA Budys Here

From: Crashj

On 20 Sep 2004 22:26:14 GMT, (HA HA Budys Here)
From: Crashj
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:49:05 GMT, GdeStOmar wrote:
I have made a small pond for a turtle. I'm wondering if anyone has a
technique for connecting electricity in the outdoors.

You need professional help. I am not being rude, I hope, it is just
that the answers to your questions are ones that an electrician would
automatically deal with. There are codes and standards for these
things.

This plastic cover is called a "code keeper" and is now required on all

outdoor
outlets exposed to the weather.

If the metal conduit is ridgid pipe, it can be 6" in the ground. If it's
plastic pipe or type UF cable it has to be 12" in the ground.

The outlet must be located within 20', but no closer than 10' of the water's
edge.

"Not a professional electrician, but I know several"
--
Crashj

And now I have met another one, apparently. Thanks for the details.
BTW, is it "Budy" or "Buddy"? I guess this electrical thing is child's
play to you, eh?
--
Crashj

Budys, actually.

Electricity is my trade. The National electrical code is updated every 3 years,
but outdoor/pool codes are ever-changing, often more than one new ammendment in
the pool articles per year.
Many areas do not adopt the "current" code until more than a year after
publishing, and other jurisdictions re-write the pool article completely to
comply with whatever the authority having local jurisdiction favors.

It just so happens that garden ponds and fountains fall under the pools and
spas articles.
Old 22-09-2004, 10:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:39:50 GMT, Crashj wrote:

Well, then the "child's play" remark made no sense at all to anyone?

Crash, somedays you make no sense at all, be we still love ya. ;o)
~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 22-09-2004, 11:47 PM
HA HA Budys Here

huh?

Old 22-09-2004, 11:47 PM
HA HA Budys Here

huh?
Old 23-09-2004, 01:22 AM
Anne Lurie

I'm jumping into this thread a bit late, but......

For any electrical connection/plug outdoors, ground fault interruptor (GFI)
is probably mandatory!

Also, I think you should be especially aware of this because you mention
that the pond is not your own property.

Lastly, I don't know whether turtles sleep more than cats, but they can't
look as cute! After all, do we see turtles lying on their backs with a leg
over their eyes looking "just so darned cute we have to run get the camera"?

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"GdeStOmar" wrote in message
I have made a small pond for a turtle. I'm wondering if anyone has a
technique for connecting electricity in the outdoors. I'm concerned
about moisture getting into the connection as I had a problem with an
aquarium filter splattering on a connection and causing a tickling
sensation in my hands when I went in to unplug it.

For now my concern is adding a heater to the pond to get it warm enough
for the winter/nights. I was thinking of just the end of the electric
cord in plastic and taping it sealed. The pond is nothing too elaborate,
just a tub inserted into the ground. I have a filter that I'm working on
connecting to a power socket too.

Old 27-09-2004, 12:59 AM
tim chandler

Since the average low temperature in Los Angeles winter nights is about
47-48 degrees, and the average high temp during the winter days is low to
mid 60's, I don't think you should even worry about a heater unless you have
some exotic species that need tropical temps. A lot of us would almost kill
for winter temps in that range!

Happy Ponding,
Tim