Old 20-09-2004, 04:49 PM
GdeStOmar

Default Electricity

I have made a small pond for a turtle. I'm wondering if anyone has a
technique for connecting electricity in the outdoors. I'm concerned
about moisture getting into the connection as I had a problem with an
aquarium filter splattering on a connection and causing a tickling
sensation in my hands when I went in to unplug it.

For now my concern is adding a heater to the pond to get it warm enough
for the winter/nights. I was thinking of just the end of the electric
cord in plastic and taping it sealed. The pond is nothing too elaborate,
just a tub inserted into the ground. I have a filter that I'm working on
connecting to a power socket too.

Old 20-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Ka30P

Hello GdestOmar,

I'll let the electrical experts answer your question.
We had an electrican handle our outdoor work.
But I do know a GFI (ground fault interrupter) is available at hardware/home
stores.

I do know about keeping turtles outdoors.
Where abouts in the country/world are you located?
We are in SE WA state. Our pond will freeze over for a week at a time. With
small, closed systems like ponds it is important to keep a hole open in the ice
for gas exchange.
Turtles will burmate the winter away given the opportunity. Cold air temps,
cold water temps and they slow down (being cold blooded) and will snooze away
the winter on the bottom of their pond.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 20-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Crashj

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:49:05 GMT, GdeStOmar wrote:

I have made a small pond for a turtle. I'm wondering if anyone has a
technique for connecting electricity in the outdoors.

For now my concern is adding a heater to the pond to get it warm enough
for the winter/nights.

You need professional help. I am not being rude, I hope, it is just
that the answers to your questions are ones that an electrician would
automatically deal with. There are codes and standards for these
things. Electricity is also not really complicated once you understand
that. I will guess you are in the USA? Other nations vary wildly.
If you want an outlet near the pond to connect various devices you
will want a ground fault interrupter circuit. You connect a circuit
from your main breaker box to a circuit run underground to an outlet
box near the pond. The duplex outlet in this box must be a GFI type,
unless the breaker in the main is a GFI breaker. The outlet device is
cheaper.
Often you will see outside outlets with a metal flip over cover. These
are inadequate for our needs. What you want is a clear plastic shield
made for a metal connecting box. This has openings in the bottom for
the cords to come out. It covers the outlet and cord completely. Any
of you who have outdoor receptacles should look into this cover.
If the power lead runs across the yard and underground it needs to be
in metal conduit so you [or the next owner] can't go through it with a
shovel.
There are local codes which must be met or your insurance is void,
hence the warning about needing a professional.
Now about the turtle . . .
"Not a professional electrician, but I know several"
--
Crashj

Old 20-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Derek Broughton

Crashj wrote:

You need professional help. I am not being rude, I hope, it is just

Not strictly, but I always figure that if you have to ask...

If you want an outlet near the pond to connect various devices you
will want a ground fault interrupter circuit. You connect a circuit
from your main breaker box to a circuit run underground to an outlet
box near the pond. The duplex outlet in this box must be a GFI type,
unless the breaker in the main is a GFI breaker. The outlet device is
cheaper.

The outlet device is cheaper, but it really pays to get the whole outdoor
line protected. If you can run the line from your existing (GFCI-required)
outdoor outlet on the house, then the GFI in the existing outlet will
protect the outlet at your pond. Then you save the expense of the GFI
breaker. btw, if your current outdoor outlet(s) don't have a GFI
receptacle, replace them. It's really cheap insurance.

Often you will see outside outlets with a metal flip over cover. These
are inadequate for our needs. What you want is a clear plastic shield
made for a metal connecting box. This has openings in the bottom for

It's not necessarily clear, nor is it always used on metal. It's called an
"in-service weatherproof receptacle cover".

If the power lead runs across the yard and underground it needs to be
in metal conduit so you [or the next owner] can't go through it with a
shovel.

Again, metal is not necessary. And if you go deep enough, even PVC isn't
necessary. But always use marker tape over cable rated for direct burial
so that a digger will see the tape before cutting the cable.

There are local codes which must be met or your insurance is void,

In locales where it is legal to do this yourself, at the very least, your
utility should have an inspection service to make sure you did it right.

hence the warning about needing a professional.
Now about the turtle . . .
"Not a professional electrician, but I know several"

ditto + I've wired two houses and a pond with the complete approval of the
inspectors.
--
derek

Old 20-09-2004, 11:26 PM
HA HA Budys Here

From: Crashj

[...]

This plastic cover is called a "code keeper" and is now required on all outdoor
outlets exposed to the weather. Exposed to the weather means, not in a
sheltered area like in the ceiling of a porch 4' behind the roof gutter. Any
chance or possibility of the outlet getting wet is exposed and needs this
cover.

If the power lead runs across the yard and underground it needs to be
in metal conduit so you [or the next owner] can't go through it with a
shovel.

If the metal conduit is ridgid pipe, it can be 6" in the ground. If it's
plastic pipe or type UF cable it has to be 12" in the ground.

The outlet must be located within 20', but no closer than 10' of the water's
edge. This is covered under the pools, ponds and ornamental fountains code,
however,, except for pools I've never seen the 10-20' location scrutinized.

Old 20-09-2004, 11:26 PM
HA HA Budys Here

Old 21-09-2004, 04:23 PM
GdeStOmar

Ka30P wrote:

Hello GdestOmar,

I'll let the electrical experts answer your question.
We had an electrican handle our outdoor work.
But I do know a GFI (ground fault interrupter) is available at hardware/home
stores.

I do know about keeping turtles outdoors.
Where abouts in the country/world are you located?
We are in SE WA state. Our pond will freeze over for a week at a time. With
small, closed systems like ponds it is important to keep a hole open in the ice
for gas exchange.
Turtles will burmate the winter away given the opportunity. Cold air temps,
cold water temps and they slow down (being cold blooded) and will snooze away
the winter on the bottom of their pond.

kathy :-)
algae primer

I am in Los Angeles. Yep, I think turtles sleep about as much as cats. My turtle
ran away in June and I found him in September snoozing in a batch of homemade
recycled mulch. If it didn't get cold nights, I would just leave the pond alone
AND since it isn't my property and I know nothing about electricity, I may forget
the heater idea… try to accommodate the turtle with a slumber section where it can
bury itself again and sleep the winter off.

Thanks for the insight Kathy.

Old 22-09-2004, 12:44 AM
Crashj

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:46:25 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:
Crashj wrote:
You need professional help. I am not being rude, I hope, it is just

Not strictly, but I always figure that if you have to ask...

hence the warning about needing a professional.
Now about the turtle . . .
"Not a professional electrician, but I know several"

ditto + I've wired two houses and a pond with the complete approval of the
inspectors.

You certainly have established your bona fides with me.

--
Crashj

Old 22-09-2004, 02:07 AM
HA HA Budys Here

From: Crashj

On 20 Sep 2004 22:26:14 GMT, (HA HA Budys Here)
wrote:
From: Crashj
[...]

And now I have met another one, apparently. Thanks for the details.
BTW, is it "Budy" or "Buddy"? I guess this electrical thing is child's
play to you, eh?
--
Crashj

Budys, actually.

Electricity is my trade. The National electrical code is updated every 3 years,
but outdoor/pool codes are ever-changing, often more than one new ammendment in
the pool articles per year.
Many areas do not adopt the "current" code until more than a year after
publishing, and other jurisdictions re-write the pool article completely to
comply with whatever the authority having local jurisdiction favors.

It just so happens that garden ponds and fountains fall under the pools and
spas articles.
Old 22-09-2004, 02:07 AM
HA HA Budys Here

From: Crashj