Old 21-09-2004, 04:47 AM
Hank

Default Pond Vac

I've seen pond vacs advertised that use a garden hose to create a
vacuum to clean bottom of pond.Has anyone had any experience positive
or negative. Are their any other vacs available for $150 or less
Thanks Hank
Old 21-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Pinkpggy

I've seen pond vacs advertised that use a garden hose to create a
vacuum to clean bottom of pond.Has anyone had any experience positive
or negative. Are their any other vacs available for $150 or less
Thanks Hank

We have the Muck Vac which uses a hose. It was around $69, I think. It comes
with a wand that extends and a vacuum attachment, plus a long hose that extends
out so that it goes into your yard. It doesn't have a lot of suction, compared
to a shop vac. But for cleaning string alage off of your waterfall or other
rocks, it works great. Here is a web page that tells about it.
http://www.muckvac.com/
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

Old 21-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Bill

I have one made by Shop*Vac that pumps water out through a garden hose while
sucking water in through the vacuum hose. It is model number QPV-10.5B. The
water flow out is not quite as fast (as you might guess) as the incoming
volume so you restrict the inflow or pause every so often to let the water
pump part catch up. I have used mine for a couple years now and am please
with it's performance. I put a piece of plastic cross-stitch canvas into the
attachment on the end to limit the size of stuff it will pick up, also
provides some restriction.

Bill

Old 21-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Gabrielle

I've had good luck with my Pond Mini Vac -- and found I can use
pantyhose knee-highs instead of the filter bag they sell. Of course,
mine have been small ponds, first 450 gallons and now 1400 gallons. My
mini vac was about $20 from Drs. Foster & Smith
http://www.drsfostersmith.com

Gabrielle

Old 22-09-2004, 12:46 AM
Crashj

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:33:39 -0700, Gabrielle wrote:
I've had good luck with my Pond Mini Vac -- and found I can use
pantyhose knee-highs instead of the filter bag they sell.

What about the smell?
--
Crashj

Old 22-09-2004, 01:00 AM
RichToyBox

Some of the pond vacs that use the garden hose do not discharge the water
out of the pond. The chlorine/chloramines in the hose water is being
discharged into the pond and most people don't know how much, so it is
untreated, and can cause fish kills. Some do have a discharge hose to make
the hose water and waste go out of the pond. The ones I have seen, unless
you could get the discharge hose below the level of the pond, were pretty
weak. I have a vac that works very well on ponds of 2000 to 4000+ gallons
shown on Page 4 of my web page below.
--
RichToyBox

Old 22-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Derek Broughton

Crashj wrote:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:33:39 -0700, Gabrielle wrote:
I've had good luck with my Pond Mini Vac -- and found I can use
pantyhose knee-highs instead of the filter bag they sell.

What about the smell?

That's it. It's time to publish that "1001 uses for pantyhose" website...
--
derek

Pond Vac II question Pinkpggy Ponds 7 25-07-2004 09:02 AM
wet/dry vac to clean pond bottom? O3raledale Ponds 9 09-05-2004 05:05 AM
Pond vac with Settling Chamber-results Remydog Ponds 0 04-05-2004 02:06 PM
Pond vac with Settling Chamber Remydog Ponds 6 03-05-2004 10:06 PM
Shop Vac for cleaning pond? camper Ponds 11 18-03-2004 09:34 AM