Old 03-10-2004, 02:50 AM
Nedra

Default Mild Winter ?

I've been looking for winterish signs and darned if I can find any here in
Eastern
Missouri. The squirrels are active but no more so than in summer. Moreover
there are no squirrel nests up high in the trees. Also, I'm still finding
the outer
shells of black walnuts all over the place. I know it's only the first
week
in October but still ..... Leaves are still on the trees and are still
Green!
Anyone else noticed any winter signs?

Nedra

Old 03-10-2004, 04:10 AM
Ka30P

Nedra wrote I've been looking for winterish signs and darned if I can find any
here in
Eastern
Missouri.

Hmmmm, now that's interesting. We are still having days in the 80s, very nice
for football games, thank goodness But our leaves are turning earlier than
usual...

kathy :-)

Old 03-10-2004, 04:57 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Nedra,

According to the Farmer's Almanac we are suppose to
have a Mild winter, those of use below the half way
mark in Kansas, but as a result, Spring is suppose to
be bad for a lot of us with lots of tornadoes in the
offing.

Tom L.L.

Old 03-10-2004, 05:31 AM
George

"Nedra" wrote in message
nk.net...
I've been looking for winterish signs and darned if I can find any here in
Eastern
Missouri. The squirrels are active but no more so than in summer. Moreover
there are no squirrel nests up high in the trees. Also, I'm still finding
the outer
shells of black walnuts all over the place. I know it's only the first
week
in October but still ..... Leaves are still on the trees and are still
Green!
Anyone else noticed any winter signs?

Nedra

Where I live in Louisville, we've had a rather mild summer with only 2 days
above 90. It has also been much wetter than normal. We finally had a dry spell
this september due to high pressure parked off of the east coast (which also
funneled so many of the hurricanes towards Florida). The weather turned even
cooler late in september, and now we've had our first "cold" front move through
which brought below normal temperatures. Leaves are turning here, and the cold
front left a lot of them on my patio, forcing me to net my pond earlier than
last year. We had an early spring here (at least three weeks early). Judging
from this trend, I'd say (regardless of what the Farmers Almanac says) that we
are in for an early winter (but not necessarily colder than normal) with above
normal precitiation, and higher than normal snow/ice accumulations. But that is
just MOHO.

Old 03-10-2004, 02:39 PM
W Dale

Well, here in Colorado Springs, the Peak is covered with snow, my lawns
are starting to be not as green and not growing as fast, it is dropping
down into the high 30's and leaves are falling off everything! As I
drive the back county roads to work, I often drive through this
beautiful ground fog and you cannot see the feet of the horses grazing
in the fields. And since the sun is just peeping over the horizon,
there are long shadows. And temps in the 40's and 50's. A beautiful
sight indeed! And a sign of winter for us. That and the few feet of
snow in the mountain towns already. :-) :-) .

Old 03-10-2004, 02:41 PM
REBEL JOE

I wish!!!! Here in Ohio its darn cold.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 03-10-2004, 02:53 PM
aktgibbs

In south MS we had a cool summer. Some of my fall-blooming plants have long
since bloomed and faded. The corn shucks were very very thick this year.
The cats are already eating more and putting on their winter coats. We have
already had some very cool mornings. I think winter may be early thi year.

Except folks are still wearing shorts to high school football games and band
contests. The high was above 90 degrees yesterday and it hasn't rained
since Ivan came through.

I haven't had fish long enough to know their habits, but my goldfish can't
seem to get enough to eat....

nk.net...

Old 03-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Roy

Well its in the mid to upper 80's and on occasion hits 90 or so, grass
is growing like mad, and still requires cutting once a week
yet........all leaves are still on the trees but they look bad as they
are wilted and brown, but its not from the seasonal change its from
when Ivan paid a visit........Nights are still in the upper to mid
70's and one time we got to high 60's and that was right after
Ivan.........pond surface temp is still in the low 80's to high 70's
...........and my water lillys are blooming like crazy.

But just in case I have a couple of cords of firewood already cut
split and stacked........
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 03-10-2004, 06:48 PM
aktgibbs

Hattiesburg. We were at whichever Jones County High School is the home of
the Mustangs last night for their 24th aannual marching band contest and as
usual those Mustang band parents did an awesom job!

Old 03-10-2004, 08:04 PM
W Dale

Outstanding! I went to Northeast Jones High School in Jones county.
Went on to become that band director for South High School in Pueblo and
then Doherty High school up in Colorado Springs. I am now AP at
Fountain-Fort Carson High School.

Old 03-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Karen

We've had trees that started turning mid-September, but most are still green,
until tonite that is...supposed to go down to 34 and there are frost warnings
out. Days are in the mid 60s, nite have been cold.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 04-10-2004, 01:42 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Nedra wrote: I've been looking for winterish signs and darned if I can find any
here in Eastern Missouri.

Hmmmm, now that's interesting. We are still having days in the 80s, very nice
for football games, thank goodness But our leaves are turning earlier than
usual... kathy :-)

And the squirrels are definitely hoarding. ~ jan (5 minutes from kathy)

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

It was a mild winter... Jeff Layman[_2_] United Kingdom 3 22-04-2014 09:38 AM
mild jalapeños rose Edible Gardening 0 10-02-2004 01:12 AM
Mild Jalepeno plants Klaurens Gardening 2 21-06-2003 07:32 AM
Peppers with mild heat M. Tiefert Edible Gardening 5 26-02-2003 05:03 AM
January, roses, and pruning in mild climates Suzanne in CA Roses 1 29-01-2003 10:30 PM