Old 13-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Roy

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:54:28 +0100, "2pods"
wrote:

==="kc" wrote in message
=== I'm sorry, I'm not understanding why the other fish are dying--is there no
=== way to relocate them somewhere where's there's more O2...?
=== Kirsten
===
===I think Roy wants the fish to die.
===Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he post a while back saying he wanted to
===get rid of the game fish in the pond ?
===
===If I'm wrong I apologise in advance, but that's a crappy way to remove fish.
===For anyone that's lost fish due to weather, whatever this is just cruelty.
===
===Peter
===

Yes I want the fish out of the pnd,a nd would prefer to have had them
removed by fishing or netting etc, but like I said I am all ears for a
better suggestion! You make it sound like I am responsible for
making the algae die, and that I am cruel in my method...Its not my
method, its mother nature, and a naturally occuring event....nothig
cruel about it........no more cruel than herons eating your fish or a
hawk grabbing a baby bunny rabbit..........I never said I wanted the
fish to "die" just to get rid of them, I just wanted to remove
them......and lord only knows how hard we have tried and the methods
we tried todo it without hurting the fish before now.............so
come on post those suggestions on the methods you would use........and
don;t forget, I am on a limited income as well, and my whole world
does not revolve around the fish.........as I still have a family to
support and bills to pay.........so I don't need suggestions about
hiring a company to come in and drain the pond and remove the fish and
refill the pond etc etc etc........thats certainly not practical even
if I had Donald Trumps money! Maybe what I need to do is use that
piece of liner I have and go dig a hole and make a koi pond from
scratch, and let the weeds and junk collect in the large pond and let
natuer take its course and allow it to slowly fill in with runoff
debri and sediments, and let my cows back into it to use as a water
hole like its original intended purpose was.........it certainly would
have been cheaper than what I have spent in money and time alone up to
this point, and I would not have had to run 1,800 feet of water line
to another field just to fill and have to manually maintain a means
for watering my cows either, just so I can make this pond into
something better overall than a mud hole.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 13-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Roy

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:36:29 GMT, Crashj
wrote:

===On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:59:17 GMT, "Nedra"
===wrote:
===
===Well ... I don't know about any one else But your cavalier attitude about
===the fish kill is nothing but sickening! I just don't care to read anymore about
===it.
===Nedra
==="Roy" wrote in message
et...
===
=== Also had the 2nd fish kill now whichmakes it 2 in a row. maybe fro the
=== way it was outside today its possile I may get a third........O2
=== starvation is really thinning out the fish populationin the main pond
=== pretty darn good......spent another half day collecting the victims.
===
===Yeah, right. I mean, Roy, cmon, when is the jambalaya gonna be ready?
===AAAAactually, what I understood is Roy is letting nature run its
===course so he can repopulate with koi?
===Or am I reading too much into the thing?

Your dead on the money Cashj..........

Regards

Old 13-10-2004, 03:33 PM
2pods

Yes I want the fish out of the pnd,a nd would prefer to have had them
removed by fishing or netting etc, but like I said I am all ears for a
better suggestion! You make it sound like I am responsible for
making the algae die, and that I am cruel in my method...Its not my
method, its mother nature, and a naturally occuring event....nothig
cruel about it........no more cruel than herons eating your fish or a
hawk grabbing a baby bunny rabbit..........I never said I wanted the
fish to "die" just to get rid of them, I just wanted to remove
them......and lord only knows how hard we have tried and the methods

Sorry I didn't express myself very well.

What I meant was anyone who has lost their fish to a fishkill would suffer
hearing about this.
Personally, I don't want to hear how many fish die on a daily basis and I'm
sure there are others, and yes I'm a hypocrite, I eat fish, and used to
fish.

I'm not accusing you of cruelty to fish, and I appreciate all the methods
you've tried, and have read most all your posts.
IMHO I hope you continue to post as I've picked up a lot from everyone in
this group and you are one of us.
Why not just ease up on the casualty reports

Peter

Old 13-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Rodney Pont

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:53:53 GMT, Roy wrote:

Yes I want the fish out of the pnd,a nd would prefer to have had them
removed by fishing or netting etc, but like I said I am all ears for a
better suggestion!

I'd be worrying about the Koi in water of these conditions, they can't
be doing well.

Will your new Sequence pump be capable of draining this pond? I know it
will take ages but can it shift water quicker than the spring refills
it or could you pipe the spring water straight to your pond exit and
then pump the pond out. I can't really imagine the amount of water in
this pond.

As for filtration a pile of gravel would do, I don't know how much
gravel costs though for half a ton or so. Pump the water over it from
your new pump and just dump it in the pond and replace when it gets
dirty, you've got plenty of depth :-) The gravel doesn't have to be
immersed in water, in fact if it drained through you would in effect
have a trickle filter and these are just about the best for biological
filtration that you can get because the oxygen levels are so high.

I have to agree that I don't like hearing about the fish kills but if
we didn't hear we wouldn't be able to make stupid suggestions and you
might just get one that is useful. Do keep posting, you only annoy me
when there isn't any space between your post and your sig but I can
live with that :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 13-10-2004, 07:47 PM
Bill Stock

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Hey Roy, I understand, Mother Nature is stepping in, as she does in

hundreds of
other ponds when things get out of balance.I suppose we could take up a
collection and buy you an alligator or two but then we'd worry about Roy's
safety. We need a squad of hit herons at our beck and call. Maybe that

shark
that moved into the lagoon in Florida? Rent-A-Shark.
We do what we can for the critters under our care but I really don't see

what
else Roy could do? This is a BIG pond.

I think Nedra will happily ship Roy an Alligator. ;-)

--
B.S. Dawning asbestos droors.

Old 14-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Nedra

What a Grreat idea Kathy and Bill. I did kilfile Roy but I may just
unkilfile him if this
idea is a GO! LOL

Nedra

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Bill wrote I think Nedra will happily ship Roy an Alligator. ;-)

I seem to remember that as long as it, the alligator, is under 20 inches

long
we can ship as many as we'd like. Maybe a sideline for rec.ponds. Got too

many
fish, order up one of our handy dandy fish removers!

kathy :-)
zone 7, SE WA state

Old 16-10-2004, 07:40 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Netting out dead fish:
I certainly am not overjoyed about it, but its a natural
occuring event in nature in a natural pond and happens all the time in
lots of larger ponds..........especially this time of year when days
are overcast and naturally occuring algae blooms die
off......... Roy

Hey Roy, don't leave. We so need you in here when we get the idiots who
say, why do I need aeration, water changers, filters, test kits, etc. for
my (self contained, closed system, overpopulated) pond? Nature doesn't have
or use them, why should I?

Some people just have no clue about nature and how cruel she can be. Than
these armchair eco/environmentalists want a pond with no maintenance. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~