Old 13-10-2004, 01:53 AM
Roy

Default Guess its gonna start to cool off here

Temps are supposed to be in the low 70's for the next week or so, and
tomorrow night, its supposed to drop down into the low 60's, and the
next night its supposed to get to the low 40's...............duh! Oh
well all good things must end sooner or later..........probably take
quite awhile for pond temps to drop much though unless we get a lot of
wind which is highly unlikely this time of year......The way it goes
though, next week it will be back up in the 80's.......

Also had the 2nd fish kill now whichmakes it 2 in a row. maybe fro the
way it was outside today its possile I may get a third........O2
starvation is really thinning out the fish populationin the main pond
pretty darn good......spent another half day collecting the victims.As
long as I keep the fountain and water falls going in the enclosure the
koi will do fine and thats my maian concern.......of course in the
morning when yu go out to see whats happened, you sort of feel sorry
when you look over under thre fountain and see a heap of fish all
sucking in the water thats aerated...........so while they are all
congregated in the good water but still kind of sluggish from lack
of a good quanity O2, I can easily catch most of them with the large
dip net or a cast net............

Today I added another small preform that connects to that three tier
cascade feature. Also ordered a new Sequence pump, so I can starat tp
really push some water over that cascade and the water fall and
hopefull add some height to thr fountain. While those el cheapo Harbor
Freight clear water 1" pumps work, they leave a lot to be
desired...........Guess I'll get to see what 3800 gph water flow from
ther Sequence is as compared to the 300 gph flow the harbor reight 1"
pump puts out! Should be like night and day.........So tomorrow I have
to go dig up some dirt/ mud in the water garden area and start to run
some PVC water supply lines as well as run a suction line out in to
the pond.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 13-10-2004, 01:59 AM
Nedra

Well ... I don't know about any one else But your cavalier attitude about
the
fish kill is nothing but sickening! I just don't care to read anymore about
it.

Nedra

Old 13-10-2004, 01:46 PM
kc

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding why the other fish are dying--is there no
way to relocate them somewhere where's there's more O2...?
Kirsten

Old 13-10-2004, 01:54 PM
2pods

"kc" wrote in message
I'm sorry, I'm not understanding why the other fish are dying--is there no
way to relocate them somewhere where's there's more O2...?
Kirsten

I think Roy wants the fish to die.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he post a while back saying he wanted to
get rid of the game fish in the pond ?

If I'm wrong I apologise in advance, but that's a crappy way to remove fish.
For anyone that's lost fish due to weather, whatever this is just cruelty.

Peter

Old 13-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Crashj

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:59:17 GMT, "Nedra"
wrote:

Well ... I don't know about any one else But your cavalier attitude about
the fish kill is nothing but sickening! I just don't care to read anymore about
it.
Nedra
"Roy" wrote in message
.. .

Also had the 2nd fish kill now whichmakes it 2 in a row. maybe fro the
way it was outside today its possile I may get a third........O2
starvation is really thinning out the fish populationin the main pond
pretty darn good......spent another half day collecting the victims.

Yeah, right. I mean, Roy, cmon, when is the jambalaya gonna be ready?
AAAAactually, what I understood is Roy is letting nature run its
course so he can repopulate with koi?
Or am I reading too much into the thing?
--
Crashj

Old 13-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Roy

wrote:

===Well ... I don't know about any one else But your cavalier attitude about
===the
===fish kill is nothing but sickening! I just don't care to read anymore about
===it.
===
===Nedra

Not that your likely to hear about it or read what I post any more,
but just how do you figure I hve a cavalier attitude.........about my
fish kills. I have more things to do and take care of and places to
be than outside gathering up dead stinking fish for the last two
days. I certainly am not overjoyed about it, but its a natural
occuring event in nature in a natural pond and happens all the time in
lots of larger ponds..........especially this time of year when days
are overcast and naturally occuring algae blooms die
off.........Perhaps if I had an unlimited supply of money I could
install a full filter system in this pond.. and add additioanl larger
enclosures or evenbuild a new pond to start off with just Koi etc etc
etc.....care to donate? I am open for all suggestions on ridding my
pond of all the game fish it contains...........but odds are any
suggestions were probably tried numerous times over the years, not
just since I got interested in koi keeping.........We have seined the
pond, a lot of times, hard to seine a pond to harvest fish with an
irregular bottom and as deep a mine is..............try it
sometime.........we have allowed the general public to come in and
fish it............we have used fish traps..............and I have
used a cast net almost daily to harvest lots of the bass and bream
which I relocate to other ponds .........and yet this pond is still
very over populated in general with fish..most of which are small in
size for their age due to it not being fished properly in the
begining. To keep a pond balanced that you stock, you have to take a
certain percentage of fish of various species out on a routine basis,
and if you do not, it will go to hell in a hand basket pretty darn
quick.............so this naturallay occuring process that is occuring
now is just mother nature.........not anything I really could
controll. There are probably more ponds out there with lots of fish
dying in them right now, without a aeration of any
sort............While I do now have a means of aeration of the larger
portion of the pond I find it personally advantageous to let nature do
its thing, and thin out (will never be eliminated totally) the fish
population. There is a limit in man made ponds and natural ponds and
lakes that will suppoort any given amount of fish period. Exceed that
limit and fish suffer.......and odds are its more of a problem in the
south with the hotter temps that support heavy thick algae blooms most
all year long............and then you get overcast days and algae
dies..........its a naturally occuring cycle which I have no control
over, I am just taking advantage of it. Times have changed since this
pond was built over 20 years ago.............folks that used to fish
it back then (my sons and their friends) have grown up and oved off to
start their own lives, others have died, or list interest in fishing,
or folks just do not have time to fish anymore as they need to
work......the reasons are endless.........I just did not decide one
day to build a pond so I could let it get full of fish so I could
"enjoy" watching them die! There is no doubt once this event is over
those that will survive it, will have a much better quality of life
and the pond will be in better balance than it ever has been
before......or perhaps you may think it better if I just let it be,
and allow it to turn into a foul smelling mud hole typical of a lot of
farm ponds with cows wading in it. That process certainly would be a
lot easier for me in the long run and I could once again get back
inside my air conditioned shop and enjoy my metal working hobbies once
again and not have spent an entire hot humid summer outside constantly
improving and working on the pond...I could have saved a ton of money
by not buying the pumps and supplies I have just bought this year
alone........So you all tell me, just what you would have done in this
situation.......I am all ears..........

If my presence is not wanted or my posts not appreciated, say so and
I'll be on my way.......but each indiviual situation is different, and
each is entitled to their own opinion........and when it comes right
down to it, the one paying for and doing the work is going to do what
they feel is best for what they have the ability and means to
accomplish.

Regards!

Old 13-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Roy

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:46:29 -0400, "kc"
wrote:

===I'm sorry, I'm not understanding why the other fish are dying--is there no
===way to relocate them somewhere where's there's more O2...?
===Kirsten
==="Roy" wrote in message

snip

How do you relocate a 1+ acre pond that is essentially over populated
with bream and bass? Just not possible..........The reason the Koi
are fine is they are in an enclosure (in the main pond) with a
electric powered pump & fountain providing aeration. I had been
aerating the main portion as well but add up fuel costs to aerate a
pond with a gas powered pump at todays gas prices and conssider it
burns a gal of gas in about 40 minutes time, and you need to aerate
24/7 . I have burned quite a lot of gas so far, and for what reason,
just to keep stunted overpopulated fish alive for what reason?

Old 13-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Roy

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:54:28 +0100, "2pods"
wrote:

==="kc" wrote in message
=== I'm sorry, I'm not understanding why the other fish are dying--is there no
=== way to relocate them somewhere where's there's more O2...?
=== Kirsten
===
===I think Roy wants the fish to die.
===Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he post a while back saying he wanted to
===get rid of the game fish in the pond ?
===
===If I'm wrong I apologise in advance, but that's a crappy way to remove fish.
===For anyone that's lost fish due to weather, whatever this is just cruelty.
===
===Peter
===

Yes I want the fish out of the pnd,a nd would prefer to have had them
removed by fishing or netting etc, but like I said I am all ears for a
better suggestion! You make it sound like I am responsible for
making the algae die, and that I am cruel in my method...Its not my
method, its mother nature, and a naturally occuring event....nothig
cruel about it........no more cruel than herons eating your fish or a
hawk grabbing a baby bunny rabbit..........I never said I wanted the
fish to "die" just to get rid of them, I just wanted to remove
them......and lord only knows how hard we have tried and the methods
we tried todo it without hurting the fish before now.............so
come on post those suggestions on the methods you would use........and
don;t forget, I am on a limited income as well, and my whole world
does not revolve around the fish.........as I still have a family to
support and bills to pay.........so I don't need suggestions about
hiring a company to come in and drain the pond and remove the fish and
refill the pond etc etc etc........thats certainly not practical even
if I had Donald Trumps money! Maybe what I need to do is use that
piece of liner I have and go dig a hole and make a koi pond from
scratch, and let the weeds and junk collect in the large pond and let
natuer take its course and allow it to slowly fill in with runoff
debri and sediments, and let my cows back into it to use as a water
hole like its original intended purpose was.........it certainly would
have been cheaper than what I have spent in money and time alone up to
this point, and I would not have had to run 1,800 feet of water line
to another field just to fill and have to manually maintain a means
for watering my cows either, just so I can make this pond into
something better overall than a mud hole.