Old 21-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Bill Kerrell

Default Heron Problem

We live within easy flight distance from the bay here in Pensacola. So we
had our visits from a Great Blue Heron. We were able to scare him away
several times. I covered the pond with screen. It looked terrible. So one
day I am at WalMart and in the garden dept found this 12" replica of a Barn
Owl. ($8.00 and change) Someone had said Herons will not come near Owls ?
Well it seems to have solved our problem. Every once in awhile I see him (or
Her) flying over at about 500' or so, but it keeps going. They do have very
good eye sight. I move the Owl around every couple of days. But the Heron
does not return. ... Solved a problem for us hope it helps someone ..
Bill
Pensacola, FL

Old 21-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Derek Broughton

Bill Kerrell wrote:

We live within easy flight distance from the bay here in Pensacola. So we
had our visits from a Great Blue Heron. We were able to scare him away
several times. I covered the pond with screen. It looked terrible. So one
day I am at WalMart and in the garden dept found this 12" replica of a
Barn Owl. ($8.00 and change) Someone had said Herons will not come near
Owls ? Well it seems to have solved our problem. Every once in awhile I
see him (or Her) flying over at about 500' or so, but it keeps going. They
do have very good eye sight. I move the Owl around every couple of days.

I expect the moving is important. My friend sails for the Canadian Coast
Guard 28 days at a time, and came home once to find Gulls had pooped all
over his brand new truck - parked on the wharf for 28 days. So he put a
plastic owl in the back, and came back next time to find they'd pooped all
over the owl. I've seen the same at our harbour ferry terminal, where the
pigeons have left the fake owls the same white color as everything else.

Owls seem to work sometimes, but it's important to move them because other
birds stop even noticing them if they never move. I guess one of the
advantages of an owl over, for instance, a Red-tailed Hawk is that birds
don't expect an owl to move _much_.
--
derek

Old 21-10-2004, 07:04 PM
ClaudCar

motion activated/sound emitting owl
http://www.birdbusters.com/scare_bird_owl_decoy.html
______________________
Claudia
Totus Tuus

Old 21-10-2004, 07:04 PM
ClaudCar

Old 22-10-2004, 12:19 AM
RichToyBox

One of the most effective devices is a gatorgaurd. Floating gater head,
bobs around in the pond, moves with the wind, and in your neck of the woods,
the herons would definitely know what a gator is.
--
RichToyBox

Old 22-10-2004, 03:27 AM
Steve

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:22:45 -0500, "Bill Kerrell"
wrote:

We live within easy flight distance from the bay here in Pensacola. So we
had our visits from a Great Blue Heron. We were able to scare him away
several times. I covered the pond with screen. It looked terrible. So one
day I am at WalMart and in the garden dept found this 12" replica of a Barn
Owl. ($8.00 and change) Someone had said Herons will not come near Owls ?
Well it seems to have solved our problem. Every once in awhile I see him (or
Her) flying over at about 500' or so, but it keeps going. They do have very
good eye sight. I move the Owl around every couple of days. But the Heron
does not return. ... Solved a problem for us hope it helps someone ..
Bill
Pensacola, FL

I visited a trout hatchery last week They ran fishing line about a
foot apart a little bit above the water. They said it confused the
herons.

Steve
Old 23-10-2004, 03:53 PM
laskdfpoiwq

I use the Owl here in Texas for the snakes (found a water moccasin in the
pond one day). Works well.

When I has a heron problem, I installed a motion activited sprinkler. It
was kind of fun watching the heron come in to land and getting whacked by
the sprinkler spray.

You can get them at most pond shops and occasionally at home depot.

Jim

Old 24-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Andrew Burgess

Bill.... that is a good idea, moving the Barn Owl from time to time.
We have a heron visiting daily who is chased away by a pair of
resident sea gulls, they live up on the roof of the house. As soon as

I do not mind him visiting as my pond has stright sides and he cannot
wade in to it even he wanted to, the pond is 4 feet 6 ins deep.

This myth needs to die ;-)

Heron can take fish from the surface of the pond without getting their feet wet.
Someone posted a movie clip here a few months ago, the heron was
a few feet from the pond, dashed over and grabbed a fish near the surface
before the fish could react.

I have 3 foot vertical sides and its always worked for raccoons but recently
a heron took his toll. Bird net now and that has worked.

Old 25-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
Bill.... that is a good idea, moving the Barn Owl from time to time.
We have a heron visiting daily who is chased away by a pair of
resident sea gulls, they live up on the roof of the house. As soon as

I do not mind him visiting as my pond has stright sides and he cannot
wade in to it even he wanted to, the pond is 4 feet 6 ins deep.

This myth needs to die ;-)

Heron can take fish from the surface of the pond without getting their

feet wet.
Someone posted a movie clip here a few months ago, the heron was
a few feet from the pond, dashed over and grabbed a fish near the surface
before the fish could react.

I have 3 foot vertical sides and its always worked for raccoons but

recently
a heron took his toll. Bird net now and that has worked.

A link to that video is archived here,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/Animals/Birds/Heron/. We are in the process of

BV.

Old 27-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Jeff,

The heron site is in Danish.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 27-10-2004, 04:25 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

And do you have to remember to disable it in order not to get sprinkled
yourself? Kirsten

I have two, we humans learn, only takes getting hit a few times and you
learn to turn it off before walking in front of it. ;o) Notes on the door
help too.

Now that I've screened the ponds and removed the sprinklers, it is still
hard to walk out in "the sprinkler target zone". ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

The heron file. A perrenial problem (Part two) adavisus Ponds (moderated) 18 01-02-2008 07:17 PM
The heron file. A perrenial problem (Part one) adavisus Ponds (moderated) 0 25-01-2008 12:04 AM
Help for Heron Szpond Ponds 12 19-10-2003 02:02 AM
Heron alert! Don Ponds 8 30-05-2003 08:33 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM