Old 29-10-2004, 03:54 PM
gng

Default sick fish question

Not much hope here, but I have a 8" goldfish that started bloating a couple
of months ago. At first we all though he was just fat, but now he is
looking a lot like a puffer fish and can no longer swim right side up. The
scales are not sticking out a la a pinecone. They are still flat the his
body. I thought he would be dead after I found him upsidedown a week ago,
but he is still alive and kicking - albeit upsidedown. Local koi store said
"forget about it" and plant him in the garden, but if any of you have any
ideas what this is and if there is any treatment, both the fat fish and I
would appreciate it.

Gary

Old 29-10-2004, 10:29 PM
San Diego Joe

"gng" wrote:

Not much hope here, but I have a 8" goldfish that started bloating a couple
of months ago. At first we all though he was just fat, but now he is
looking a lot like a puffer fish and can no longer swim right side up. The
scales are not sticking out a la a pinecone. They are still flat the his
body. I thought he would be dead after I found him upsidedown a week ago,
but he is still alive and kicking - albeit upsidedown. Local koi store said
"forget about it" and plant him in the garden, but if any of you have any
ideas what this is and if there is any treatment, both the fat fish and I
would appreciate it.

Gary

Hi gary,

That would be a form of dropsy. I had one like that starting in spring. His
scales also didn't stick out. I moved him inside and treated him according
to this:

http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disea...ame.htm#dropsy

We treated him for most of the summer. In late august he started not being
able to swim right side up. He was also not getting better and so we
euthanized him using the clove oil method:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tom06.html

Hope yours gets better with treatment, but if not at least you have a humane
way in which to euthanize it.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 30-10-2004, 03:41 PM

ascites. you can try the dropsy treatment ... but ascites is usually untreatable so
far. http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/...ame.htm#dropsy

"gng" wrote:

Not much hope here, but I have a 8" goldfish that started bloating a couple
of months ago. At first we all though he was just fat, but now he is
looking a lot like a puffer fish and can no longer swim right side up. The
scales are not sticking out a la a pinecone. They are still flat the his
body. I thought he would be dead after I found him upsidedown a week ago,
but he is still alive and kicking - albeit upsidedown. Local koi store said
"forget about it" and plant him in the garden, but if any of you have any
ideas what this is and if there is any treatment, both the fat fish and I
would appreciate it.

Gary

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 30-10-2004, 09:46 PM
steve

"gng" wrote in message ...
Not much hope here, but I have a 8" goldfish that started bloating a couple
of months ago. At first we all though he was just fat, but now he is
looking a lot like a puffer fish and can no longer swim right side up. The
scales are not sticking out a la a pinecone. They are still flat the his
body. I thought he would be dead after I found him upsidedown a week ago,
but he is still alive and kicking - albeit upsidedown. Local koi store said
"forget about it" and plant him in the garden, but if any of you have any
ideas what this is and if there is any treatment, both the fat fish and I
would appreciate it.

Gary

It could be a tumor but if it is dropsy are you willing to bring the
fish indoors permanantly or at least for most of the year? I have
heard of fish being healed from dropsy but getting the condition
again when put in cold outdoor water. If you are succesful in
treating him you might want to keep him indoors in a heated tank for
the rest of his life.

Old 02-11-2004, 03:46 PM
gng

Thanks everyone. Believe it or not, he is still alive! But the upsidedown
floating fish is a bit of a distraction in the pond. Odd. Well, maybe
we'll see how long he lives upsidedown.
"steve" wrote in message
om...

Old 02-11-2004, 03:46 PM
gng

Thanks everyone. Believe it or not, he is still alive! But the upsidedown
floating fish is a bit of a distraction in the pond. Odd. Well, maybe
we'll see how long he lives upsidedown.
"steve" wrote in message
om...
"gng" wrote in message

[...]

I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Edible Gardening 28 14-08-2007 08:10 PM
I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Gardening 25 05-08-2007 07:19 PM
I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 31-07-2007 08:36 PM
sick fish question gng Ponds 0 29-10-2004 03:54 PM
SOS! SICK FISH!/do all dead fish float?/Melafix?/Furanase Jo Bohannon-Grant MD Ponds 3 10-06-2003 04:08 AM