Old 09-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Derek Broughton

Aquarijen wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Aquarijen wrote:

Marine folks use super glue to graft corals, so I would guess it to be
safe. Whether it will still have good hold when under water is another
question. -Jen

They do? I have my doubts. The only thing I would expect to work there
is
a marine epoxy - coral being notariously awkward to glue even in a dry
location.

Yes, they do.
http://www.garf.org/algae2/GLUE.HTMl

So they do. Sorry for the scepticism. But note that they specifically warn
against "Crazy Glue", which was (at least at one time) the most commonly
available cyano-acrylate, so much so that Crazy Glue is often used to mean
_any_ cyano-acrylate.

OT - you just have to love how "GARF", a Reef research program, is based in
Boise, Idaho. I hope they're really helping those Idahoan reefs.
--
derek
Old 09-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Aquarijen

"tim chandler" wrote in message
Well, when you read the link, it's not just a generic "super glue" they're
talking about, it's their own formulation that they call "GARF REEF GLUE",
and at a steep price, too. They also mention a brand "Super Reef Gel"
which
doesn't sound like it's the watery cyanoacrylate stuff that most of us
know
as "super glue" - which is mostly "super" for cementing your fingers and
flesh together, usually not on purpose!
Tim C.

They mention Ross super glue and loctite Quick Tite as well which are fairly
popular brands. It is just like asking if "Silicone" can be used in
aquariums.... It depends... on the brand and type of silicone...

-Jen

Old 11-11-2004, 01:17 AM
Crashj

On or about Tue, 09 Nov 2004 11:49:31 -0400, Derek Broughton
wrote something like:

OT - you just have to love how "GARF", a Reef research program, is based in
Boise, Idaho. I hope they're really helping those Idahoan reefs.

Those Idaho reefs are millions and millions of years old!
--
Crashj
Old 11-11-2004, 01:19 AM
Crashj

On or about Tue, 9 Nov 2004 05:47:39 -0600, "Jim and Phyllis Hurley"
wrote something like:

The epoxy proposal is right on traget. It might well make the replacement a
permanent spare!

Negatoire! Experience with old cars says to use the new replacement
part and keep the repaired original as the spare. I do agree that the
epoxy repaired part will be safe to use.
--
Crashj