Old 22-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Malcolm McRoberts

Default help identifying tiny creatures on my filter

The other day, I was cleaning the sponge filter for my
barrel pond, and I found a small number of tiny creatures
on it. They're about 1/8th of an inch long, translulcent
and kind of shaped a little like shrimp. They have a
number of tiny legs like an insect or crustacean.

Anybody know what these are? Fish and plants all seem
healthy. Any cause for concern?

-malcolm
Old 22-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Charles

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:28:49 GMT, Malcolm McRoberts
wrote:

The other day, I was cleaning the sponge filter for my
barrel pond, and I found a small number of tiny creatures
on it. They're about 1/8th of an inch long, translulcent
and kind of shaped a little like shrimp. They have a
number of tiny legs like an insect or crustacean.

Anybody know what these are? Fish and plants all seem
healthy. Any cause for concern?

-malcolm

check the web for pictures of gammarus. That might be what they are.

Only problem I've seen with them, they can be hard on plants when they
get out of control. Otherwise they are good food for some fish.
\

--

- Charles
-
Old 22-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Charles

wrote:

The other day, I was cleaning the sponge filter for my
barrel pond, and I found a small number of tiny creatures
on it. They're about 1/8th of an inch long, translulcent
and kind of shaped a little like shrimp. They have a
number of tiny legs like an insect or crustacean.

Anybody know what these are? Fish and plants all seem
healthy. Any cause for concern?

-malcolm

check the web for pictures of gammarus. That might be what they are.

Only problem I've seen with them, they can be hard on plants when they
get out of control. Otherwise they are good food for some fish.
\

--

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others

Tiny tiny blue flowers Paddy's Pig[_2_] Garden Photos 2 22-03-2008 04:39 AM
what are these creatures? mark w Ponds 4 14-05-2004 04:06 AM
Strange Creatures II Paul DeWolf Ponds 7 03-07-2003 07:20 AM
Strange Pond Creatures Steve Ponds 24 25-06-2003 08:20 AM
Good pond creatures Scott Teetsel Ponds 5 20-06-2003 08:08 PM