Old 26-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Bonnie

bk wrote:
We have a Beckett pump and Tetra PF3 filter. The pump runs like a champ, but
allows debris to pass thru. Unfortunitly the filter catches this stuff
before it passes intot he actual filter. This causes clogging and a great
reduction of flow rate. I'm cleaning the filter connection at least once a
week. I need a way to prefilter the pump. This pump is about a 1200 gpm.

A simple prefilter - take two slotted baskets and use zip
ties to form a hinge. Cut a hole in the baskets for the
tubing and the power cord. Line the baskets with blue
furnace filter (from WalMart) and put the filter in the
center of this close and use another ziptie as a closure.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 26-11-2004, 10:06 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

A simple prefilter - take two slotted baskets and use zip
ties to form a hinge. Cut a hole in the baskets for the
tubing and the power cord. Line the baskets with blue
furnace filter (from WalMart) and put the filter in the
center of this close and use another ziptie as a closure.
Bonnie

For picture of similar to what Bonnie describes above, click on *My Pond
Photos* in index at: http://users.owt.com/jjspond/ and go to Page 7, scroll
down bottom right hand corner.

Only I don't put the furnace filter in, as the basket weave works well
enough and I don't have to pull the pump out of the pond at all to clean.
Since you have a filter, I don't see any need for the extra filtration in
the baskets if the fines going thru are okay. Better to clean a filter
out-of-the-pond, than one you have to pull up, imho. ;o) ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 26-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Barbara2245

"bk" wrote in message ...
We have a Beckett pump and Tetra PF3 filter. The pump runs like a champ, but
allows debris to pass thru. Unfortunitly the filter catches this stuff
before it passes intot he actual filter. This causes clogging and a great
reduction of flow rate. I'm cleaning the filter connection at least once a
week. I need a way to prefilter the pump. This pump is about a 1200 gpm.

Claude I hope the pump you describe is not a sump pump which is very
costly to run. My pump is prefiltered in two baskets clamshelled
together, lined with Walmart's trimable blue furnace filter and the
pump is enclosed in a bag made of fiberglas window screen. This
contraption sits on a cement block in the center of the pond. I use
the handle of a broken hoe to lift it out for cleaning. Having the
pump off the bottom avoids accidentally draining the pond.
Happy water gardening.
Old 27-11-2004, 04:49 AM
bk

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

Are these the regular plastic pots for plants?

Old 27-11-2004, 06:41 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Prefilter question

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

Are these the regular plastic pots for plants?

Yes. See pic on *My Pond Photos* Page 7, I think I mentioned. ;o)
website above. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 27-11-2004, 10:43 PM
george

"bk" wrote in message
We have a Beckett pump and Tetra PF3 filter. The pump runs like a champ, but
allows debris to pass thru. Unfortunitly the filter catches this stuff before
it passes intot he actual filter. This causes clogging and a great reduction
of flow rate. I'm cleaning the filter connection at least once a week. I need
a way to prefilter the pump. This pump is about a 1200 gpm.

I use a tetra PF3 filter for my pre-filter, then connect it to the bottom of an
old jaccuzzi pool filter (via a connecting hose) that I converted to a pond
pump. My 1,400 GPH utility pump (Flotec) pump is mounted inside the jaccuzzi
filter (which is sealed airtight), and pumps the water out through the top. The
whole system is a suction-type filter because the pump is located near the top
of the main filter and it draws water through the filter from the PF3 that I use
as a pre-filter. When it is obvious that the water flow has been reduced, I use
an old coat hanger to pull the PF3 up from the bottom of the pond, and clean it
out. I never have to do anything to the main filter, because the PF3 catches
all the large detritis. In the summer when the bioload is at it's highest, I
only have to clean the pre-filter out about once/month. And that just involves
rinsing the sponge filter and draining the crud out of the bottom. I do nothing
to the lava rock. My pond is close to 2,000 gallons (12'x4'x45"). I have five
Koi, 2 Shubukans, about fifteen goldfish, and a huge albino channel cat (he's
now about 28" long, and I estimate about 8 lbs). My water stays clear all the
way to the bottom.

Does you pond catch leaves and other wind-blownd debris? If so, this may be why
you are having such clogging problems this time of year. You could consider
ways to reduce the amount of wind'blown debris that gets into the pond. Netting
can help with this issue. Also, consider how much you are feeding the fish. If
you overfeed them, they will produce a lot of waste. Consider reducing the
amount or the number of times you feed them per/day/week.

It's a little late to try this, but next spring consider using aquazyme or
similar product in your pond to help reduce the amount of gunk that builds up in
your filter and on the bottom. It helps a lot and helps to greatly reduce algae
blooms by using up the available nutrients in the water (including all that
gunk).