Old 30-01-2003, 08:52 PM
KenCo

Default OT email?

Subject: Email Moral

An unemployed man is desperate to support his family. His wife watches TV

all day, and his three teenage kids have dropped out of high school to
hang
around with the local toughs. He applies for a janitor's job at a large
firm
and easily passes an aptitude test.

The human resources manager tells him, "You will be hired at minimum wage

of $5.15 an hour. Let me have your e-mail address so that we can get you
in
the loop. Our system will automatically e-mail you all the forms and
advise
you when to start and where to report on your first day."

Taken back, the man protests that he is poor and has neither a computer

nor an e-mail address. To this the manager replies, "You must understand
that to a company like ours that means that you virtually do not exist.
Without an e-mail address you can hardly expect to be employed by a
high-tech firm. Good day."

Stunned, the man leaves. Not knowing where to turn and having $10 in his

wallet, he walks past a farmers' market and sees a stand selling 25-lb
crates of beautiful red tomatoes. He buys a crate, carries it to a busy
corner and displays the tomatoes. In less than 2 hours he sells all the
tomatoes and makes 100% profit. Repeating the process several times more
that day, he ends up with almost $100 and arrives home that night with
several bags of groceries for his family.

During the night he decides to repeat the tomato business the next day. By

the end of the week he is getting up early everyday and working into the
night. He multiplies his profits quickly. Early in the second week he
acquires a cart to transport several boxes of tomatoes at a time, but
before
a month is up he sells the cart to buy a broken-down pickup truck.

At the end of a year he owns three old trucks. His two sons have left

their neighborhood gangs to help him with the tomato business, his wife
is
buying the tomatoes, and his daughter is taking night courses at the
community college so she can keep books for him. By the end of the
second
year he has a dozen very nice used trucks and employs fifteen previously
unemployed people, all selling tomatoes. He continues to work hard.

Time passes and at the end of the fifth year he owns a fleet of nice

trucks and a warehouse which his wife supervises, plus two tomato farms
that
the boys manage. The tomato company's payroll has put hundreds of
homeless
and jobless people to work. His daughter reports that the business
grossed a
million dollars.

Planning for the future, he decides to buy some life insurance.

Consulting with an insurance adviser, he picks an insurance plan to fit

his new circumstances. Then the adviser asks him for his e-mail address
in
order to send the final documents electronically. When the man replies
that
he doesn't have time to mess with a computer and has no e-mail address,
the
insurance man is stunned, "What, you don't have e-mail? No computer? No
Internet? Just think where you would be today if you'd had all of that
five
years ago!"

"Ha!" snorts the man. "If I'd had e-mail five years ago, I would be

sweeping floors at Microsoft and making $5.15 an hour."

Which brings us to the moral: Since you got this story by e-mail, you're

probably closer to being a janitor than a millionaire.

Sadly, I received it also

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold, 401-781-9642

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.

Old 30-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

KenCo wrote:

It does have a ring of truth to it doesn't it.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 31-01-2003, 02:34 PM
DKat

Well I'm not a millionaire but I am in the top tax bracket and I got that
way by the once wonderful California Public School system that has been
destroyed by folks that think "taxes" are an awful thing. I gladly pay mine
and only wish that rather than almost 50% of our income taxes going to
support a military, which was able to do nothing to protect us from 911,
even 1/4 of that money was going into education, health care, protecting the
environment, etc. Given my position now because of taxes I no longer need
the health care or the education (I can now afford to pay for my children's
tuition) but I sure would like to see easy targets like our power and
communication lines strung up on poles put underground as more advance
countries do and everyone, rich and poor, is hurt by a degraded
environment.....

Old 31-01-2003, 10:51 PM
mad

i was on welfare once, but am off and i gladly pay taxes, too. i am grateful
to all you folks that supported me and my children for about 8 months back
in 1984. i think i have paid enough in taxes since to repay you all. this is
a great country that helps people until they can get back on their feet.
mad

--
An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy.
Spanish Proverb

From: "DKat"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:34:55 -0500
Subject: OT email?

"taxes" are an awful thing. I gladly pay mine

Old 01-02-2003, 01:29 PM
J.D. Stone

Weeelllll.... I pay taxes, too. Quite a bit from my perspective. I probably
don't mind much but "gladly" would indeed be stretching it! G
JD
http://www.nrgy.com/pond.htm

From: "DKat"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:34:55 -0500

"taxes" are an awful thing. I gladly pay mine

Old 02-02-2003, 08:34 PM
mad

for me it's gladly. i feel i am doing my part as a repayment.
mad
--
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be
changed regularly, and for the same reason.

From: "DKat"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:34:55 -0500

"taxes" are an awful thing. I gladly pay mine

Old 02-02-2003, 11:05 PM

yeah.. we dont mind paying either. or paying for insurance we dont need either.
I really think people who object to having universal health insurance should think it
thru. if I pay but dont use it.. hey! am I lucky or what. OTOH, if I need it, it
is there. OTOH, people who have chronic illnesses and problems need it badly and
people that sick often cant get a job cause nobody wants to pay insurance premiums so
they are not only sick, they cant get a job to pay and then are both on welfare and
sick.
When it comes to tax money I am happy we havent needed welfare, sorry for those who
do. hard to keep morale up when unemployed and have to take money. only wish the
taxes would be used to actually "teach them to fish" rather than just exist. after
welfare reform many women going to school were dumped. had they graduated they would
be able to get a LOT better jobs and pay more taxes themselves. seems penny wise and
pound foolish. Ingrid