Old 23-12-2004, 04:31 PM

Default winter planning for spring

Hi,
I put in my pond this past spring and now I need to make all that
changes I wanted to make this summer and ran out of time
1st thing is, because of budget, I had to go with a cheap home depot
special sump pump for the pond. I would like to upgrade. I think I
would prefer an external pump and I have heard great things about
sequence pumps. Pond is 3 1/2 feet at its deepest. about 1200 gallons I
estimate. What would be a good pump? What is the best way to plumb it,
that is where do I run the intake to etc. Berfore I just had the sump
sitting on the bottom of the oposite side of the pond from the
"waterfall"

2nd thing is the "waterfall" is not a waterfall at all but just the
water flowing out of the filter into the pond. I will be building a
skippy fiter and want it to run into a waterfall. Heres what I begining
of last spring.

http://miltonsoffice.com/pond.jpg
based on my best guess its about 1200 gallons
Any suggestions?

Old 24-12-2004, 01:06 AM
RichToyBox

The Sequence pumps have been very good for me. I have 3 running and two on
the shelf. I have been running on continuously for about 6 years now.
Looking at your pond, it appears that the land slopes to the
filter/waterfall end of the pond. I would place the pump at that end, since
it can be mounted lower than water level, which makes priming easier. The
beauty of the external pumps is that they can be placed anywhere. I have
mine in the garden shed, about 20 feet from one pond and 50 feet from the
other pond. All pimps are much better at pushing water than pulling water,
so if it can be located lower than the pond that is better.

Add a backflow preventer to the intake end of the piping to allow for
priming. Add a priming pot or tee at the high spot for adding the water.
If using a tee, add a valve to close after the piping is filled with water.
--
RichToyBox

ups.com...

Old 28-12-2004, 12:40 AM
rider

I am running a sequence 7200 pump for mine. Unfortunately I didnt
have time before winter to try it out. I ran out of time this fall to
start it up so being that its the first winter for me I decided to
just let the pond freeze over this year. Next year I plan on using a
submersible pump during the winter for a breather hole in the ice. I
have just over 5000 gallons with 1 skimmer and 2 biofalls. I
positioned my pump in my shed and ran a 3" intake line from the
skimmer to the pump. This line abouts 25 feet long. From the pump to
my biofalls I ran (1) 2" line and split it right before the biofalls.
The head is about 3-1/2 feet. I also used a check valve located in the
skimmer to hold water for priming the pump. At each biofall I have a
gate valve to regulate the flow incase I need it.

hope this helps,
Rick