Old 02-01-2005, 10:47 PM

Dimilin affects nearly all creatures with chitin exoskeleton. It has an unusually
persistent activity for at least a month. It is also potent in that extremely small
amounts were all that was needed to eradicate targeted species. A couple years ago
dimilin was tightly controlled, as I understand it, to prevent dimilin from being
dumped into streams, rivers and lakes which would kill off important parts of the
food chain.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...ubenzuron.html

"4. SUMMARY OF REGULATORY POSITION AND RATIONALE
- The Agency has determined that it should continue to allow the
registration of diflubenzuron. However, because of gaps in the data
base, additional data are required as specified in the tables.
Additional tolerances and label changes will be considered as
applications are submitted.
- Because of toxicity to crab, shrimp, and other aquatic invertebrate
animals, diflubenzuron is classified as a restricted pesticide for
use on forests and field crops. Cautionary statements are required
on the label warning of hazards to aquatic invertebrates.
- The only geographic limitation for use of products containing
diflubenzuron is for control of mosquitoes in temporarily flooded
areas of pastures in central California. The primary concern with
these mosquitoes breeding in wastewater from irrigation projects is
their potential for carrying diseases affecting humans."

At some point whoever decides these things decided to allow manufacturers to use
dimilin in pond treatments. The first commercially available product for ponders
that we knew had dimilin (and we immediately advised people at the time) was Anchors
Away when they changed their formula from whatever to dimilin (but by the generic
name). Now there are others offering products and the price is coming down.

"For years, pondkeepers have known the benefits of Dimilin in solving their Anchor
Worm Fish Lice problems, but until now Dimilin hasn't legally have been available for
this use. Now Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, under an exclusive licensing agreement with
The Crompton Corporation, (the manufacturers & owners of Dimilin) is excited to bring
Dimilin to the pond market in an easy to use liquid form. No longer will fish owners
have to use unregistered and illegal forms of diflubenzuron in questionable
strength."
http://www.pondliner.com/Dimilin.htm

Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:42 AM
Huey Conway

All that is is a come on by pondliners, to sell their liquid form of
dimilin........Whenyou buy it in powder form it has the strength of it
so your not getting unknown strengths.........and as long as what you
get is nothing but dimilin what does it matter where it comes from.
Just anaother marketing ploy to sell it at a much inflated rate more
than likely.

Take Dr. Eric Johnsons PP, and what he gets for a small container of
it. Triple that amount of money and I can get a whole freaking 55
pound tub of it. Same for Malachite green or formalin........$4.50 for
a 2 oz container of MG/F in most pet shops or online. A gal jug of
formalin costs me $9.40 and a gal of MG is right at $17.00 a
gal......and all it took was filling out some paper work.

I seriouosly dount they had it under tight control becasue of folks
buying it and dumping it in streams. It degrades very fast in soils so
disposal of it is not a problem..........I can think of lots of
chemicals which are easy to get that would have much more adverse
effects on the environment than dimilin and other so called controlled
items. Hell $10 bucks worth of walnuts in a sack will kill a heap of
critters in a stream, or wipe out the average fish pond with them.
Its individuals and compaines that controll the stuff because they
don't want to let go of their fast buck ignorant buyer schemes. Thats
why you find all this info with incomplete studies and huge gaps in
data bases becasue their origiinal claims as to being so bad were not
fully tested and it wa a get rich thing, control it jack up the price
get what you can get and then when folks find out its not so, allow it
to be be marketed otherwise.

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:47:12 GMT, wrote:

===Dimilin affects nearly all creatures with chitin exoskeleton. It has an unusually
===persistent activity for at least a month. It is also potent in that extremely small
===amounts were all that was needed to eradicate targeted species. A couple years ago
===dimilin was tightly controlled, as I understand it, to prevent dimilin from being
===dumped into streams, rivers and lakes which would kill off important parts of the
===food chain.
===
[...]
===~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
===List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
===http://puregold.aquaria.net/
===www.drsolo.com
===Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame
===~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
===Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
===compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the
===endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 03-01-2005, 05:32 AM
~ Windsong ~

wrote in message
Dimilin affects nearly all creatures with chitin exoskeleton. It has an

unusually
persistent activity for at least a month. It is also potent in that

extremely small
amounts were all that was needed to eradicate targeted species. A couple

years ago
dimilin was tightly controlled, as I understand it,

## You understood it wrong. It was freely available here and other places.
Many of these products are persistent and must be carefully used. Read the
labels on all insecticides, fungicides, dog dips etc.

to prevent dimilin from being
dumped into streams, rivers and lakes which would kill off important parts

of the
food chain.

## Many substances harm the food chain and can be bought at any Home Depot,
K-Mart, Lowe's.....

--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
Totally FREE softwa

Old 03-01-2005, 05:41 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Huey Conway" wrote in message
All that is is a come on by pondliners, to sell their liquid form of
dimilin........Whenyou buy it in powder form it has the strength of it
so your not getting unknown strengths.........and as long as what you
get is nothing but dimilin what does it matter where it comes from.
Just anaother marketing ploy to sell it at a much inflated rate more
than likely.

## Anything sold for pond seems to have a highly inflated price. Example: I
saw pond thermometers at Home Depot a few years ago for something like
$14.99. A similar, just as sturdy one was for sale in the pool dept. for
$3.99. Guess which one I bought and still have. :-))) I paid a lot more
for my 60 mil "pond" liner (Tetra) than a women I knew in Antioch TN paid
for a roofliner from some building supply house. Look at the rip-off prices
of Koi and goldfish food. I buy catfish food for $10 per 50 lbs and my fish
are thriving. Of course they also get some duckweed, earthworms, shrimp
pellets once in awhile,... and some inexpensive puppy and cat chow for
variety.

Take Dr. Eric Johnsons PP, and what he gets for a small container of
it. Triple that amount of money and I can get a whole freaking 55
pound tub of it. Same for Malachite green or formalin........$4.50 for
a 2 oz container of MG/F in most pet shops or online. A gal jug of
formalin costs me $9.40 and a gal of MG is right at $17.00 a
gal......and all it took was filling out some paper work.

## What paperwork did you have to fill out and where are you getting these
things so cheap?

[...]

"False hope is nicer than no hope at all."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Huey Conway

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 23:41:22 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" wrote:

snip
===
===## What paperwork did you have to fill out and where are you getting these
===things so cheap?
===

snip

Depends, on what the item is. I located an Industrial Chemical
supplier nearby. They have or can get virtually any chemical kown to
man. The only thing I had to do was fill in and apply for an
account......I elected top pay tax on purchase.........not try and rip
the state etc off in taxes........This paperwork then established an
account with them........There are some things controled by the
DEA........acetone, Potassium Permanganate etc, so I had to fill out
paperwork that was submitted to the DEA for approval. Usually if you
have a clean record, the office manager has the authority to waiver
the DEA approval and make the sales until they get the paperwork back
from DEA........after that the only things you have to sign for is if
its a controlled substance like PP, or Cyanide, and what you actually
sign is that yu have received an MSDS and know all about these
chemicals.........Thats its, simple......There is no minimum orders,
etc if you set up an account and deal in cash etc.......actually very
simple to do.

I buy a lot of cyanide on a monthly basis, and use lots of acetone.
Acetone is controlled by DEA (Tech grade, not the crap sold in big box
stores etc) as its used by illegal drug labs...............same thing
with PP. Its used in thr process of making illegal drugs, so quanities
over 1 or 2 or so pounds are controlled.

These places have one price and its basically wholesale or dealer
costs, as their chemicals are usually packaged as such to be utilized
in further manufactureing, or end use, and not geared to retail sales.
Packagine does not have instructions etc on them just simple labeling
as to contents and any associated symbology like skull and cross bones
or the data diamonds and UM codes.....no printed drival as typically
found on retail packaged items........They figure if your buiying it
in bulk you ought to know what your doing with it. Everything you
really need to know should be on the MSDS or in the processes your
usuing to utilize the stuff, not on a label......as there is more than
one use for chemicals, as we all know......NOw if it was packaged and
labeled for say treating ICH, yes, it wouldbe a ot higher due to
individual labels and smaller quanities and more handling of the
product, it all adds up, but bulk plain label packs are cheap.

I deal with Industrial Chemicals Inc........and they have distribution
/ dealer wharehouses all over the USA. Yes, quanities may be more than
one would normally use, but the amount you get is usually a lot more
and a cheaper price than what you would pay for a smaller prepackaged
item geared to public sales......As long as you pay taxes as you buy
for the materials, your fine.......Uncle Sam will not bother you.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Huey Conway" wrote in message
snip
I buy a lot of cyanide on a monthly basis, and use lots of acetone.

snip

Dare we ask what for?

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 03-01-2005, 04:46 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Huey Conway" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 23:41:22 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" wrote:

snip
===
===## What paperwork did you have to fill out and where are you getting

these
===things so cheap?
===

snip

Depends, on what the item is. I located an Industrial Chemical
supplier nearby. They have or can get virtually any chemical kown to
man. The only thing I had to do was fill in and apply for an
account......I elected top pay tax on purchase.........not try and rip
the state etc off in taxes........This paperwork then established an
account with them........

=========================
Thanks for the information. Fortunately I use very little of any chemicals
including dechlor. It's more of an emergency item in my "fish medicine
chest." When I top off my ponds I spray the water over the surface and so
far so good. When the after-rain springs run I use that water for water
changes.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"It don't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep."

goldfish list [email protected] Ponds 10 31-12-2004 02:36 AM
goldfish list [email protected] Ponds 0 30-12-2004 05:35 AM
FAQ List - FAQ List - FAQ List cormaic United Kingdom 2 06-11-2003 05:37 PM
wish list was Burgundy Iceberg Kirra Roses 3 09-04-2003 01:56 PM
finch list [email protected] Gardening 1 03-02-2003 03:35 AM