Old 05-01-2005, 06:07 AM
Newbie Bill

Default Frozen Umbrella Palms

My umbrella palms have all gone brown in the leaves, but the stalks are
still nice and green. 1) I wasn't sure it I should just let them be and go
ahead and cut them way back. 2) With the weather so nice, much of the
time, is it okay to go ahead and split them now. 3) How about replanting
lilies?
ps - My tropical is still blooming??
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 05-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Huey Conway

Thats fine for the umbrela palms, they will be fine once the weather
stays right. Mine has done that for many years. I find that I can
split lillys anytime of the year and I allso live in the southern
region.

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 06:07:58 GMT, "Newbie Bill"
wrote:

===My umbrella palms have all gone brown in the leaves, but the stalks are
===still nice and green. 1) I wasn't sure it I should just let them be and go
===ahead and cut them way back. 2) With the weather so nice, much of the
===time, is it okay to go ahead and split them now. 3) How about replanting
===lilies?
===ps - My tropical is still blooming??
===Bill Brister - Austin, Texas
===
===

Old 05-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Derek Broughton

Newbie Bill wrote:

My umbrella palms have all gone brown in the leaves, but the stalks are
still nice and green. 1) I wasn't sure it I should just let them be and go
ahead and cut them way back. 2) With the weather so nice, much of the
time, is it okay to go ahead and split them now. 3) How about replanting
lilies?

I'd cut back the umbrellas. I do whenever a head dies. I'd think if the
heads are all dead, this is a perfect time to split them.

I've never really worried about a "correct" time for splitting and
replanting lilies. It hasn't seemed to matter to them, so my only
criterion is that the water has to be warm enough that I don't freeze doing
it.

ps - My tropical is still blooming??

Braggart!
--
derek
Old 05-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Newbie Bill

snip ps - My tropical is still blooming??

Braggart!

"Derek Broughton"

LOL! Actually I am as much surprised as anything. This is the end of my
first year so this 'phase' is still new too me. However, when I was given
it I was told don't expect blooms past Sept 1. Ecspecially since it was a
bare root pot jumper I did suspect this was not the norm
Bill

Old 06-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Derek Broughton

Newbie Bill wrote:

snip ps - My tropical is still blooming??

Braggart!

LOL! Actually I am as much surprised as anything. This is the end of my
first year so this 'phase' is still new too me. However, when I was given
it I was told don't expect blooms past Sept 1. Ecspecially since it was a
bare root pot jumper I did suspect this was not the norm

"bare root pot jumper" implies you have good, and balanced, supplies of all
the necessary nutrients - nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. Odds are
good that you don't have a big algae problem, either.

I'm a strong proponent of growing lilies bare-root if you can. They need to
be waited down, if you do that, but they have no real need for a planting
medium, and bare-root means there's nothing to restrict their access to
nutrients.
--
derek

Old 09-01-2005, 01:22 AM
YAhoo

We already had a good freeze here in Houston and a few days later my
tropical put up another bloom!

om...

Old 09-01-2005, 01:22 AM
YAhoo

We already had a good freeze here in Houston and a few days later my
tropical put up another bloom!

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
om...
My umbrella palms have all gone brown in the leaves, but the stalks are
still nice and green. 1) I wasn't sure it I should just let them be and go
ahead and cut them way back. 2) With the weather so nice, much of the
time, is it okay to go ahead and split them now. 3) How about replanting
lilies?
ps - My tropical is still blooming??
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Frozen Umbrella Palms Newbie Bill Ponds 0 05-01-2005 06:07 AM
umbrella to shade pond - $71.00. Marital harmony - priceless Ann in Houston Ponds 5 25-07-2003 05:12 PM
source for market umbrella replacement? Smartakus Gardening 0 25-03-2003 08:08 PM
Umbrella plant L425CAJ United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 10:56 PM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 04:15 AM