Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Yabbadoo

Default UK Herons - (for Kathy)

To answer your question without having to wade through all the OT traffic
polluting the thread...

Yes, herons (and almost all wild birds) are a protected species in UK. Not
only that, but it's illegal for private individuals to own any firearm
(which includes shotguns) so predators (non-human) can only be deterred by
passive means.

I, too, had my pond cleaned out by a heron. I grew up in farming country
where shotguns were part of life (for rats, rabbiting, etc). Nearly 50 years
ago, a friend aged 14 accidentally shot/killed another friend, climbing over
a stile and fell, gun in hand, whilst rabbiting.

Deterrance, not extermination, is the civilised solution. "Final" solutions
have potential for disaster.

Sincerely, Len

Lawn Ornaments/Cranes, Herons Barbara2245 Ponds 6 15-01-2004 03:22 PM
HERONS/deer/small animals Loretta,Victoria, B.C. Ponds 11 15-06-2003 01:56 PM
Speaking of Herons Priscilla McCullough Ponds 8 13-06-2003 08:08 PM
Herons Andrew Burgess Ponds 5 14-03-2003 12:57 AM
Ponds, Herons and Lil'uns Victoria Clare United Kingdom 13 28-01-2003 06:02 PM