Old 06-03-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Help, my goldfish are dying

Hello all,
Several months ago I accidentally killed my two goldfish that I had had
for several years with too much clorine. 2 or 3 sets of replacement
fish have also died within a few weeks. A coulple of weeks ago a
draind the pond and got out all of the stuff on the bottom I could,
refilled it and about a week later I got 2 more small goldfish. Well,
they are dying as well. The all exhibited the same symptoms. They
become very lethargic and often will hover motionless near the surface
for very long periods of time. You can easily reach in and grab them.
Does anyone have any idea as what might be the problem?

Thanks
Gary

Old 06-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Bill Stock

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,
Several months ago I accidentally killed my two goldfish that I had had
for several years with too much clorine. 2 or 3 sets of replacement
fish have also died within a few weeks. A coulple of weeks ago a
draind the pond and got out all of the stuff on the bottom I could,
refilled it and about a week later I got 2 more small goldfish. Well,
they are dying as well. The all exhibited the same symptoms. They
become very lethargic and often will hover motionless near the surface
for very long periods of time. You can easily reach in and grab them.
Does anyone have any idea as what might be the problem?

Thanks
Gary

We need more information Gary.

You said you've had GF for several years, so I assume you know the basics.

What are your water parameters? Temp, PH, Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia, KH,
GH, Chlorine?

Did you slowly adjust the GF to their new surroundings? They need time to
adjust to the temp/PH differential from the store to your pond. Do you have
lots of circulation/aeration? You must be some place warm to be adding fish
this time of year? Don't feed them if your water temps are below 55°F.

Could even just be sick fish from the LFS.

Old 06-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Reel McKoi

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,
Several months ago I accidentally killed my two goldfish that I had had
for several years with too much clorine. 2 or 3 sets of replacement
fish have also died within a few weeks. A coulple of weeks ago a
draind the pond and got out all of the stuff on the bottom I could,
refilled it and about a week later I got 2 more small goldfish. Well,
they are dying as well. The all exhibited the same symptoms. They
become very lethargic and often will hover motionless near the surface
for very long periods of time. You can easily reach in and grab them.
Does anyone have any idea as what might be the problem?

===================================
I hope you quarantined them at least 2 weeks before you put them in your
pond. I NEVER add new fish to my pond until they're quarantined for 21
days. I learned the hard way several years ago - that MOST (no flames
please) koi and goldfish you buy these days are harboring some type of
disease or parasites. No one can guarantee you 100% clean fish. While in
Quarantine they're treated with Quick Cure (or whatever is necessary). The
extra work and bother are well worth my time and effort.

Cheap feeder fish are about the worst where disease and sickness are
concerned.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"WORK HARDER, millions in Welfare depend on you."

Old 06-03-2005, 05:13 PM
kathy

Random thoughts, in addition to what everyone else
is posting.
Are these the only fish in the pond, the ones who keep
dying? Or if you have other fish are they looking peaked too?
Or
Has anyone been doing any spraying in your area, fruit trees,
etc?
Anything new on your lawn that could get into the pond?
Also
If you have other options I'd try another fish store, their
stock might be healthier.
Or if I had the option I'd adopt some overstock from another
ponder.
Has your city or county water supplier started adding
chloramines to your system?

good luck!
kathy

Goldfish dying John United Kingdom 10 02-08-2006 03:54 PM
Goldfish dying of heat? Emily & Craig Cagle Ponds 16 08-07-2005 03:27 AM
Help! Goldfish are Dying in New Pond Bowhunter Ponds 10 29-04-2005 04:31 PM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM