Old 07-07-2005, 01:29 AM
Emily & Craig Cagle

Default Goldfish dying of heat?

My goldfish pond has had happy fish in it for 4 years now and suddenly I've
had 2 of them die within a week. No signs of disease or trauma...I live in
south TX where the temp has averaged 100 lately, I'm wondering if the water
is too hot for the poor guys. I know they do best in cooler waters. My
plants are fine, lilies blooming, frogs living happily in the water too.
Any ideas?

Craig

Old 07-07-2005, 02:13 AM
Roy

Do you provide any additional shade? It helps, although I measurd my
ponds temps around the very shallow areas and in some areas the water
is in the high 80s to low 90's and it seems to be where most of my koi
& GF like to spend the day at rooting. Granted they have cooler water
if they elect to go there, but 9 out of 10 times they are in and
along the very shalalow edge half in and half out of the water
rooting.

My wifes half barrel setup gets into the real high 80';s without
shade and they fish have always done fine.......Just what temp is your
ponds water.......how much water is i the pond? Its unlikely the water
will be the same as outside air and may surprise you as to what it
really is.

Have you checked your waters parameters? Lots of things can kill them
and not be very visible, besides temp.

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 00:29:16 GMT, "Emily & Craig Cagle"
wrote:

===My goldfish pond has had happy fish in it for 4 years now and suddenly I've
===had 2 of them die within a week. No signs of disease or trauma...I live in
===south TX where the temp has averaged 100 lately, I'm wondering if the water
===is too hot for the poor guys. I know they do best in cooler waters. My
===plants are fine, lilies blooming, frogs living happily in the water too.
===Any ideas?
===
===Craig
===

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 07-07-2005, 02:47 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Emily & Craig Cagle" wrote in message
My goldfish pond has had happy fish in it for 4 years now and suddenly

I've
had 2 of them die within a week. No signs of disease or trauma...I live

in
south TX where the temp has averaged 100 lately, I'm wondering if the

water
is too hot for the poor guys. I know they do best in cooler waters. My
plants are fine, lilies blooming, frogs living happily in the water too.
Any ideas?

========================
You don't have a thermometer for your pond? You can get one at HomeDepot
for pools for less than $5.00. I'm here hot and sunny middle TN. The water
got up to 92 in my 800 gallon pond for several days in a row. It's in full
sun most of the day and only partly shaded with water lilies. When it's
that hot the fish rest quietly on the bottom under the larger lily. So far
no deaths.

Can you provide some extra shade over you pond or perhaps add extra aeration
during these really hot days?
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 07-07-2005, 03:19 AM
Gail Futoran

"Emily & Craig Cagle" wrote in message
My goldfish pond has had happy fish in it for 4 years now and suddenly
I've had 2 of them die within a week. No signs of disease or trauma...I
live in south TX where the temp has averaged 100 lately, I'm wondering if
the water is too hot for the poor guys. I know they do best in cooler
waters. My plants are fine, lilies blooming, frogs living happily in the
water too. Any ideas?

Craig

My shade cloth shaded 150 gallon stocktank, my
only pond with goldfish, regularly gets to the mid-80s
in this Southcentral TX heat. I make sure the fountain
runs constantly and the water level stays high.

So far my 5 goldfish are doing ok but all are fairly
young (less than 3 years old). I had several
older goldfish, and one butterfly koi, that
committed suicide - I found them on the ground
outside the pond - a month or so ago. It wasn't
so hot then but we had some nasty thunder and
lightning that might have startled them into making
fatal leaps.

Maybe your two were already a bit weak and the
heat stressed them? But shade is definitely
a good idea. Home Depot, Lowes, sometimes
Wal-Mart, sell shade cloth. You can buy a
roll, or some places will sell parts of a roll. If you
don't need a lot the latter is a better deal.

I don't worry about morning sun, BTW, but I
do shade against afternoon sun.

Gail
near San Antonio TX

Old 07-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Craig,

Is it possible that they are low on oxygen. Larger fish require more oxygen
in the water than small fish and so the big fish usually die first. You
have to remember that as the temperature of the water goes up its capability
to hold oxygen goes down. The stiller the water, means that there is no
surface exchange of gases and this too can cause low oxygen in the water.
My fish are outside and the water temps are in the 80's, but there is moving
cascading water and I have a blower running three airstones in the pond.

Tom L.L.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:07 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message

Maybe your two were already a bit weak and the
heat stressed them? But shade is definitely
a good idea. Home Depot, Lowes, sometimes
Wal-Mart, sell shade cloth.

===================================
None of these stores carry shade cloth here in middle TN. Evidently they
don't sell it in all areas.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:07 AM
Courageous

My goldfish pond has had happy fish in it for 4 years now and suddenly I've
had 2 of them die within a week. No signs of disease or trauma...I live in
south TX where the temp has averaged 100 lately, I'm wondering if the water
is too hot for the poor guys. I know they do best in cooler waters.

The warmer water gets, the harder it is for gasses (including oxygen) to
stay dissolved in it. Heat can be a problem... and so can suffocation.

One prescription is to make certain the water is circulating at all
times; it is particularly helpful to move the bottom water.

Heed the other's advice; get a thermometer and a shade canopy.

You can make a temporary and cheap shade canopy with PVC construction
pipe.

If you're looking for something more aesthetic, you might build some
kind of trellis that sits between the pond and the southwest.

C//

Old 07-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Gail Futoran

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message

Maybe your two were already a bit weak and the
heat stressed them? But shade is definitely
a good idea. Home Depot, Lowes, sometimes
Wal-Mart, sell shade cloth.

===================================
None of these stores carry shade cloth here in middle TN. Evidently they
don't sell it in all areas.

Bummer! I guess I'll stop complaining about all the
things I can't get in Southcentral TX (like snow
shovels - don't ask, ok, there's a legit garden use).

When I was in NH visiting my sister her local
Ace Hardware store was a marvel to visit.
(Here they're almost all gone the way of the
dinosaurs.) Perhaps a different kind of home
improvement/hardware store would carry the cloth.

Gail

Old 07-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message

Maybe your two were already a bit weak and the
heat stressed them? But shade is definitely
a good idea. Home Depot, Lowes, sometimes
Wal-Mart, sell shade cloth.

===================================
None of these stores carry shade cloth here in middle TN. Evidently

they
don't sell it in all areas.

Bummer! I guess I'll stop complaining about all the
things I can't get in Southcentral TX (like snow
shovels - don't ask, ok, there's a legit garden use).

## A worker at Lowe's told me shade cloth is used mainly by greenhouse
owners, it's more a specialty item. They would not have enough call for it.
Even the farmers Co-op didn't have it. You'll probably have to "import"
snow shovels from NH. :-) Some stores here carry them but we get little
snow.

When I was in NH visiting my sister her local
Ace Hardware store was a marvel to visit.
(Here they're almost all gone the way of the
dinosaurs.)

## We still have some ACE Hardware stores here. The help is knowledgeable
and personal, but the prices are higher than other places.

Perhaps a different kind of home
improvement/hardware store would carry the cloth.

## We've run out of places to look and call. I'm using old thin and lace
window curtains. They're over the pools behind the house where looks don't
matter and are working. I had a huge box of them saved from over the years.
I'm depending on water volume and water lilies to keep the ponds out front
cool enough for the fish.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Emily & Craig Cagle

Thanks for all the feedback. I do have a waterfall and fountain that run
constantly, so I think there is plenty of water being moved. I am honestly
an unscientific ponder, in that I don't check water quality and all that...I
don't even own the tools to do so. Maybe now a therm. would be a good
investment though. And I'll try to find a way to shade the area more.
Thanks again

Craig

Old 07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily & Craig Cagle
My goldfish pond has had happy fish in it for 4 years now and suddenly I've
had 2 of them die within a week. No signs of disease or trauma...I live in
south TX where the temp has averaged 100 lately, I'm wondering if the water
is too hot for the poor guys. I know they do best in cooler waters. My
plants are fine, lilies blooming, frogs living happily in the water too.
Any ideas?

Craig
I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if I'm posting wrong. I also had a problem with water temps going too high in my mini pond. I devised a "shade sail" in about an hours time and it works wonderful in keeping the water temps down. I purchased regular canvas and used wooden stakes to anchor it to the ground. I remove 2 sides when it's overcast out or when evening comes.
Attached Thumbnails
Goldfish dying of heat?-shadesail1-small-.jpg
Old 07-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Roy

If you can't find shade lcoth or other material to provid eshade, Big
Lots, Harbor Freight and Dollar stores etc have large 6 and 9 foot
market (patio) umbrellas that can easily be used to provide some
shade.....and they cost about $20.00. Just drive a piece of PVC pipe
into the ground to provide a means of holding it up.......

If your going to keep fish, i would get whats necessary to test the
water and temp......At the least a Nitrite, Ammonia and PH test kit.
I would put more of a priority on the test kits, than the
thrermometer. Heck even a $1.50 floating glas termometer for aquarium
use is better than nothing, and all Wal Marts carry them.........
Regards

Old 07-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Courageous

## We've run out of places to look and call.

Picked at random:

http://www.gemplers.com/keywords/shade-cloth.asp

C//

Old 07-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Courageous" wrote in message

## We've run out of places to look and call.

Picked at random:

http://www.gemplers.com/keywords/shade-cloth.asp

C//

=====================
Hi, and thanks. :-) That's the stuff we'd need. Since we've been burned
ordering things online, "sight unseen" I doubt my husband would be happy to
order something that way. The old lace curtains are working, they're free,
esthetics are not a problem so we'll stick with them for now. I book-marked
the site for him to look at anyway.

Once we get this larger pond finished then we'll have time to see about
making some type of permanent shade "thing" back there. The old tree was
doing the job but unfortunately was too close to the house and had to go.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Emily & Craig Cagle" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks for all the feedback. I do have a waterfall and fountain that run
constantly, so I think there is plenty of water being moved. I am

honestly
an unscientific ponder, in that I don't check water quality and all

that...I
don't even own the tools to do so. Maybe now a therm. would be a good
investment though. And I'll try to find a way to shade the area more.
Thanks again

==========================
Partial water changes using a dechlorinator are important. You can buy the
test kits at any PetLand, SuperPets or PetsMart stores for under $20.00.
Good luck!
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Natural solar heat gain v controlled heat gain? keith kent Orchids 3 27-11-2007 05:56 PM
Goldfish dying John United Kingdom 10 02-08-2006 03:54 PM
Help! Goldfish are Dying in New Pond Bowhunter Ponds 10 29-04-2005 04:31 PM
Help, my goldfish are dying [email protected] Ponds 3 06-03-2005 05:13 PM
heat stroke and heat exhaustion [email protected] Ponds 29 31-05-2003 03:56 AM